Sponsored

Petrol

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Sure this has been mentioned previously but can't remember the conclusion and can't find any real evidence on the web. Has anyone noticed any benefits from using VPower or similar premium fuels in the naturally aspirated GT? My old car was tuned for 98 octane but the Mustang is tuned for 95 so not sure it'll make any difference?
Sponsored

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
There was something a while back on this and i think you lose power with the lower fuel, something to do with the knock sensor or something like that:shrug: Gibbo would be the man to ask.
Mine only gets the best :D so cannot say if there is less power with the lower fuel

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
The new improved V-Power launched on Thursday.

I don't use anything else. The advantages are clear, engineering explained on YouTube has done lots of videos on premium fuels and one on the older v-power.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You won't find any real evidence as it tends to be clouded by the "it's snakeoil you're all being ripped off, I'm so clever for using the cheap stuff 'cos it makes no difference" crowd.

If I could tell the difference between V-power and regular in an X-Type Jag and my missus, who is oblivious to all things mechanical, can tell the difference in her 207, that's all the evidence I need. Especially when combined with the fact that tuning companies specifically ask which type of fuel you'll be using, so if they can write a tune to take advantage of better fuel there's clearly a benefit.

Ritchie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any old shite.
You can only take advantage of the higher octane fuel if the ecu has the provision to advance the timing until it detects the knock, this will give you an increase in power.
If the ECU does not automatically advance the timing to suit then it would have to be remapped for the 98ron.
However, I have used V Power in older vehicles that cannot advance the timing to suit and I swear they ran smoother, maybe no more power but definitely a sharper response.
The Mustang can retard/advance timing as required, so, yes, you should see a (small) rise in power.

Sponsored

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys, I can speak for V-Power as I have visited their tracks labs at F1 Spa and Le Mans 24h 2016.

The octane is just one aspect of the dynaflex technology

The fuel improves three things. Increased RON (99). Increased friction reduction modifiers (reduced friction) and cleaning (improved cleaning technologies)

These three combine to ensure your engine runs smoothly and remains clean.

The fuel has over 50% market share of the premium fuels market in the U.K. The 2016 Le Mans 24h race was delivered by Shell V-Power. All competitors used V-Power fuels regardless of their sponsors being BP or whatever.

That's a huge slap on their face.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The fuel has over 50% market share of the premium fuels market in the U.K.
Is that really saying much though? Don't get me wrong, 50% is great, but if Tesco is the only other 99 fuel available and other "premium" fuels are only 97 they're only really competing with Tesco (which I used to use up until recently when our local Shells got a lot closer on price).

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that really saying much though? Don't get me wrong, 50% is great, but if Tesco is the only other 99 fuel available and other "premium" fuels are only 97 they're only really competing with Tesco (which I used to use up until recently when our local Shells got a lot closer on price).
This includes all fuels offered as premium fuels regardless of octane rating

BP, Tesco, Texaco, Jet, Gulf etc

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
Just a shame that there are no Shell garages near me.

Sponsored
OP
OP

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Thanks guys. Yes, the reason I ask is because V Power have just released the new stuff which I believe is 99 octane, where previously i think it was 98. Good to know that the Mustang can react to the higher octane rating. In the US, does anyone know what their highest octane compares to in the UK because they measure it differently?

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
93 I believe is their highest widely available pump fuel which is our 99.

E85 is the next one up and contains ethanol.

Google MON and RON ratings to compare.

I think we used to get, via literally less than 10 BP stations, a 105 or thereabouts. It was hideously expensive and therefore got dropped. I would've liked to have had a go with that... :ford:

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. Yes, the reason I ask is because V Power have just released the new stuff which I believe is 99 octane, where previously i think it was 98. Good to know that the Mustang can react to the higher octane rating. In the US, does anyone know what their highest octane compares to in the UK because they measure it differently?
VPower Nitro+ was rated at 99 RON

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Goth gear did this test on a small block engine

[ame]

I keep saying this but Performance fuel is more than just about RON. It's the package

I'm going to use a very crude (o is that a pun? Yes it is) shallow analogy.

Let's say the fuel is a girl. A girl could have really big tits and be really really fat with no ass. Not that great

She could have really big tits, big ass and be really really fat. Not ideal.

Now if you find a girl with nice juicy boobs, a juicy bum and a nice slim body. Perfect

Disclaimer: all girls in this analogy were smart and had brilliant personalities.