Sponsored

Supercharged MT82 Poll

How is your supercharged mt82 holding up?

• Still Going Strong

Votes: 36 80.0%
  • She's hurt, on borrowed time, considering options

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blown to peices or swapped 'er

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I would never try a supercharger + MT82

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
That's the boat I'm in. I want to be around 750. I have an RXT sitting on my shelf and have been freaking out a little about some of the blown MT82's. I'm not anywhere close to buying a whipple right now but have been buying the parts needed slowly that I need to make the care more reliable but I'm reconsidering installing the RXT now.
I don't plan to be taking it to the track a ton, so I'm not super worried about the transmission. When I go to the track, I'm not going to be powershifting, etc anyways. I'll probably go RXT to make sure it holds.
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Like saying earlier I have went through one already. I was at 640ish when that one went and since have gone E85. Im still running the RXT and believe some things can make a difference to a longer life with the RXT.

1) Do not power shift
2) Change to a better trans fluid
3) Don't miss any shifts (buy a better shifter than stock)
4) With the RXT have something in the driveline that will absorb some shock (Bias ply slicks, carbon fiber DS, etc)

I have done all of these and so far so good.

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / 2023 GT4
Like saying earlier I have went through one already. I was at 640ish when that one went and since have gone E85. Im still running the RXT and believe some things can make a difference to a longer life with the RXT.

1) Do not power shift
2) Change to a better trans fluid
3) Don't miss any shifts (buy a better shifter than stock)
4) With the RXT have something in the driveline that will absorb some shock (Bias ply slicks, carbon fiber DS, etc)

I have done all of these and so far so good.
1) I don't power shift but I do shift fairly quick, but only on the street. I don't plan on taking the car to the drag strip.

2) This I haven't done yet.

3) I have a Tri-Ax and the trans insert bushing

4) I already have a carbon fiber DS and only will be running tires like R888, R888r, RS3, RS4 etc

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
How much can the RST handle? I'm expecting to be in the 750whp range shortly.
I talked with Mcloud about my RST power it could handle. 800 RWHP was his answer. I am over 770/625 Been S/C since day 1. I started out with Roush stage 1. The MAIN reason for failures is driving style.

OP
OP
TooSoonJunior

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Interesting to hear all these different experiences. Not sure I am going to like not being able to rip through the gears like I am now on my stock setup (spinning 1-2 shift, barking 2-3 shift pretty good, little chirp 3-4).

Starting to consider a 6060 swap right out of the gate before the Whipple install.

Sponsored

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I talked with Mcloud about my RST power it could handle. 800 RWHP was his answer. I am over 770/625 Been S/C since day 1. I started out with Roush stage 1. The MAIN reason for failures is driving style.
I was curious as to their rating, if it was 800 crank or wheel. That's still getting awfully close to maximum hold. F this MT82.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F this MT82.
My thoughts exactly...blew third gear out this weekend. Two now gone. Talked to Ben C for quite a while. Said he could build me a bad ass MT82 but with the RXT I would still destroy it. I ordered a TR6060 build from him and staying with the RXT. Should be no issue no longer.

DarkSubRosa

GTFO_0027
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My thoughts exactly...blew third gear out this weekend. Two now gone. Talked to Ben C for quite a while. Said he could build me a bad ass MT82 but with the RXT I would still destroy it. I ordered a TR6060 build from him and staying with the RXT. Should be no issue no longer.
Damn that sucks to hear man. I would love the TR6060 but ugh $$$$. I guess I might just keep the RXT and just have in the back of my mind I'll need a TR6060 when things go south.

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang
Oh man, that sucks. How expensive are the TR6060's? Im phase 2 so about 750hp now on stock drivetrain. Tick tock...

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh man, that sucks. How expensive are the TR6060's? Im phase 2 so about 750hp now on stock drivetrain. Tick tock...
Depends on what you currently have...With the conversion you will need a driveshaft, clutch, shifter, transmission, cross member, and some misc wiring stuff with a speed conversion box. There are other extras you can add as well.
If I had nothing I am looking at $4800 in parts. But I will sell my dynotech driveshaft, my MGW shifter, have someone interested in my two broken tranny's ... do the math and it says i will be in at $3250 in parts.

Sponsored

Tammaro21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 performance package mustang gt
I have a Paxton pp car. Been supercharged for 3 k miles. My car never sees track time and it is not my dd. My car shifts like butter and I've never had an issue. I believe it's all about how u drive the car and all the other parts you buy to build around the mt82, those things are recipies to making the mt82 last. I started trying to build around the weak transmission from day one. After reading all the experiences on the forums I went with the mgw, ss clutch line, royal purple tranny fluid, Rst!!, clutch spring, cf driveshaft, 1400 hp axels. Like I said, driving habits play into it big time...if you beat on it an don't buy the correct parts to support it you most likely will blow it up. You gotta remember, on the forums all you will hear about is the horror stories about the mt82. For every supercharged mt82 car that blows the tranny, there is about a hundred more that never have any issues.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Paxton pp car. Been supercharged for 3 k miles. My car never sees track time and it is not my dd. My car shifts like butter and I've never had an issue. I believe it's all about how u drive the car and all the other parts you buy to build around the mt82, those things are recipies to making the mt82 last. I started trying to build around the weak transmission from day one. After reading all the experiences on the forums I went with the mgw, ss clutch line, royal purple tranny fluid, Rst!!, clutch spring, cf driveshaft, 1400 hp axels. Like I said, driving habits play into it big time...if you beat on it an don't buy the correct parts to support it you most likely will blow it up. You gotta remember, on the forums all you will hear about is the horror stories about the mt82. For every supercharged mt82 car that blows the tranny, there is about a hundred more that never have any issues.
True...i agree with what you say. Im confident that if i had chosen a RST like yourself i would probably have been fine until reaching the limits of the RST. At that point you either run a clutch that will start failing or move into a ceramic where it stresses the trans more.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I just wish I knew the RST would hold ~750 whp and a couple track trips per year. Still debating RST vs RXT.
Sponsored