enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
The Backstory
February 22nd 2015 I picked up a 2016 Tech Pack that I ordered six months in advance. September 11th 2016, in a parking lot in North Little Rock my car was backed into resulting in a new front bumper, hood, and headlight. The ass who did it didn't even stick around. After that I started searching for a few months I found a dealer that agreed upon $5,000 over. I went to Tulsa to meet the salesman and general manager in person and sign some paperwork for the agreed price. I was elated to say the least. Well about six months go by and I can't get anyone to return my calls so I inevitably give up. So later I trade my 16 for a 17 Porsche Panamera for my dad and the GM informs me that their dealer is owned by the father of the owner of a Ford dealership in the same city. I asked him to please do what he can to get me a R at MSRP. He calls me back a couple weeks later and says that they are getting a R but it is already on its way and they're asking $98,395 for it. He got passed the 98 before laughing his ass off. This is a dealership that charges sticker for every specialty Porsche they get. So I give up and accept that a R isn't happening. Fast forward to September 6th 2017 and I find a R that's identical to how I'd spec it listed for $83,395 in Port Lavaca Texas. I call them anyway just to see what they could do. I talked to the sales manager for a bit before asking what they would do on it. He states it's listed at $10,000 over so I tell him that I'd do it for sticker price. He said that in the morning when the general manager gets in they will discuss my offer. I get an email the next morning with a $2,000 over sticker offer. I was going to agree upon it but wanted to push for sticker so I declined and said sticker. The sales manager came back a little while later with a sticker price offer. I leave September 19th 2017, pick it up on the 20th and drive the 700 miles back to home. As of right now after four days of ownership it has about 830 miles on it and I don't plan on slowing down anytime soon. Anyway, here's a link to my old review--> http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45859

And here is a review on the R.

This will be graded out of 10. 10 being the best.

The Looks: 10/10
I loved the way the Tech Pack looked but damn down the R look right. The wing, extended splitter, and carbon wheels just look stunning. All the red accents are simply perfect for this car. My girlfriend said that the richness of the red on the badges and the lightning blue stripes looks like candy to her. Sure the panels aren't great but that's to be expected.

The Power: 10/10
I've driven two 1st gen R8s, a 2nd gen R8 Plus, GTRs, a Huracan, a Hellcat, etc but I've never experienced a power that builds all the way to redline like this. Yeah a lot of other cars are faster but very few surprise you like the 350 and 350R. You expect cars like the R8 and Huracan to be rockets but nothing compares to the sensation of top end power in this car. As far as power goes, it feels the same as the 16 350 did.

The Handling: 11/10
Tires nowadays are just mind boggling. Even though the R is still a heavy car it takes corners like a champ! It sinks in, sets up, and just rolls through every corner without any hesitation.

The Brakes: 10/10
Just like the 350, the R has incredible brakes. Pedal feel is on point, initial bite is strong but predictable, and there is brake dust galore! Thankfully the wheels are black so it doesn't show until you are up against them. Epic brakes for not being CCBs.

The Comfort (Edited): 10/10
Sooooooooo I'm an idiot. I had no clue there were rear transportation blocks on the car. I'd like to thank the members on here that pointed out it was riding a bit high and that it shouldn't ride as harsh as it was. The thing is buttery smooth on every surface. I honestly can't tell a difference between the old 350 and the R. It's an amazing accomplishment in the world of suspension!

The Sound System: 8/10
It's nice they upgraded the sound system for 2017 because the 16 was really not up to par. This one does just fine. I've heard much better but I really don't care. You'll find out why next...

The Exhaust: 12/10
This is why a radio should be obsolete in this car, yes I know that's an option but in the Arkansas summers A/C is a necessity. I gave my last car an 11/10 but this deserves a 12 for sure. Once you hit about 3300 RPM it just engulfs all that is around with what can only be described as orgasmic. Only two cars surpass this in my opinion, the Carrera GT and LFA. That's saying something for a $70,000 car. Oh and it pops and snaps with every shift.

The Transmission: 9/10
Tight, precise, close ratioed, just how I like it.

The Practicality: 7/10
The trunk is good sized and the lack of rear seats provides extra storage. Yeah the rear seats are pointless but they do help if you have children, which I don't. The lack of a passthrough from the cabin to the trunk marks it down a bit as well.

The Features: 10/10
I'm a massive fan of Sync 3. I've used the Porsche system and while it has a nicer screen and better graphics, the Ford system is way more intuitive. Now with Apple Carplay it makes life so much easier. It;s a terrific system that Ford should be proud about.

The Reactions: 10/10
"Sorry 'bout yo neck bro" is something I say a lot for fun but this thing has had people hanging out of their windows to take selfies with it going 75 on the freeway. I've never seen people in my area go so nuts over a Mustang. On the way home around the Texas/Oklahoma border we stopped for gas and to retape part of the front of the car. My girlfriend was talking about a F150's color next to us at the pump. It was a dark dark red. The owner then stated "I like the white with blue myself." He then asked what a multitude of people asked at the dealership and on the road, "Why the tape?" We explained that we had a 700 mile trip and didn't want a ton of paint damage and chips. He then asked another typical question, "how much was it," to which I said, "about 68." He pretended to fall back like he was fainting, to which he says, "I remember being young once too." Besides friends reactions, people taking photos, and on the way home people laughing or mouthing WHAT THE F**K to the tape that's all I have on reactions.

Total: 107/110

Sidenotes
The steering feels a bit tighter.
I really need to get a new set of wheels and tires for daily use.
There are no micro scratches in the stripes at all. A lovely surprise.
If this thing was any lower it wouldn't make it in the driveway, no joke.

Final Thoughts
I really didn't believe the hype of the R being that much better than a 350. After finally seeing a few in person, just based upon looks alone, made me really want to own one. If you have the means and ability to get a R at a price you are comfortable with I implore you to pull the trigger. You won't be disappointed at all. Thanks for reading, here's some pictures. :cheers:
Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 1.12.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 1.12.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 1.13.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 1.15.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 1.15.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 1.16.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 1.16.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-24 at 1.17.47 PM.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Garrett, a very nice job of detailing some of the background of your hunt for an R model along with the part of the journey that you recently experienced.

Additionally you showed some great patience with respect to negotiating a terrific deal on your beautiful R model with the Ford dealership in Texas.

Many people think that MSRP deals on these cars are pretty much impossible but you have just shown that it can with some hard work, luck, patience and determination.

Obviously your post took you a great deal of time and effort in order to put together and appreciate you sharing all of your thoughts and details about your new R model.

Congratulations on purchasing a very cool car!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Garrett, a very nice job of detailing some of the background of your hunt for an R model along with the part of the journey that you recently experienced.

Additionally you showed some great patience with respect to negotiating a terrific deal on your beautiful R model with the Ford dealership in Texas.

Many people think that MSRP deals on these cars are pretty much impossible but you have just shown that it can with some hard work, luck, patience and determination.

Obviously your post took you a great deal of time and effort in order to put together and appreciate you sharing all of your thoughts and details about your new R model.

Congratulations on purchasing a very cool car!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Harry! I'm not a patient person but it took a ton of work to find thats for sure!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Thanks Harry! I'm not a patient person but it took a ton of work to find thats for sure!
Understood and the only way that I have been able to secure MSRP deals as well is based on a ton or work and being persistent just as you have done.

In spite of all of the work that you put into this transaction you must be very happy at the end of the day!

:cheers:

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Understood and the only way that I have been able to secure MSRP deals as well is based on a ton or work and being persistent just as you have done.

In spite of all of the work that you put into this transaction you must be very happy at the end of the day!

:cheers:
I'm happy all day everyday! I just need to figure out how to get our bed in the garage.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
They come down to 2k over and you had the kahunas to demand MSRP. You took a big chance..... people who pull that often find the car is sold the next day to someone else.

I am happy for you and your deal! But wow, I wouldn't have done that.

It all worked out in your favor and was played well. Please don't think I'm being critical, but to the contrary, you got an MSRP R deal!

Just wow!

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
They come down to 2k over and you had the kahunas to demand MSRP. You took a big chance..... people who pull that often find the car is sold the next day to someone else.

I am happy for you and your deal! But wow, I wouldn't have done that.

It all worked out in your favor and was played well. Please don't think I'm being critical, but to the contrary, you got an MSRP R deal!

Just wow!
Lol I knew there was a chance I'd lose my one and only chance to own a R but paying over sticker really bugs the hell out of me. I'm just so happy it played out!

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Congrats on the car and a great deal ! Greta pics, and I am glad you are enjoying the car. Though you worked for the deal you wanted, it paid off in the end and you have the car you wanted. That's always a good thing.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Nice pics, and good color combo! I don't agree with you on one of your assessments, ride quality, My base feels just fine in sport mode and actually too soft for me in comfort mode. Track mode is stiff as hell tho. Sure you didn't get your shock inserts taken out? LOL Anyway, we are all different, so thats probably the reason.

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Nice pics, and good color combo! I don't agree with you on one of your assessments, ride quality, My base feels just fine in sport mode and actually too soft for me in comfort mode. Track mode is stiff as hell tho. Sure you didn't get your shock inserts taken out? LOL Anyway, we are all different, so thats probably the reason.
Are there blocks in the rear as well? I thought it was just the front. I'll see if I can wiggle in there after work to check.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Are there blocks in the rear as well? I thought it was just the front. I'll see if I can wiggle in there after work to check.
HAHA, yes, 4 total 2 in front 2 in rear. Ride quality is going to be extremely similar to your tech. except you will sit about 1" lower now.
I'm not sure you will need a re-calibration after you pull them out. Not sure how that works, if it has a memory or not. Some of the guys on the forum will know.

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
HAHA, yes, 4 total 2 in front 2 in rear. This is your problem. Ride quality is going to be extremely similar to your tech.
F***kin F**k man!!!! I'm such an idiot!! Thank you so much!

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Check your alignment. The R loves camber. I have my R set to FP specs and IMO tires wear better but be ready for the tram train.

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Check your alignment. The R loves camber. I have my R set to FP specs and IMO tires wear better but be ready for the tram train.
Man the tram line is insane with this. It's my excuse to not do pushups in the morning lol

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
I think I would be too scared to drive an R on public roads
Sponsored