Question for convertible owners - exhaust with that pesky extra bracing

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
So, I thought I had it all figured out... I read that the Borla Sport (Ford Racing) kit was convertible compatible, but unfortunately, mine does not fit.

So, I am wondering if anyone who has found him (or her) self in a similar situation has replaced the OE convertible bracing with something like the Steeda IRS subframe braces. They appear to link MOST of what the OE piece does.

Maybe [MENTION=10893]David@Steeda[/MENTION] [MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION] @bmr_tech or some of the other sponsors can chime in?

OE bracing (yes, I know it's on an eco boost, but it's the same on a GT)
OE Bracing.jpg

Steeda IRS braces
Steeda IRS braces.jpg

Since the Steeda braces only have 3 anchor points, do you think they would offer the same or at least similar torsional support (that's what I feel like I am lacking right now without the braces installed, although I may be incorrect) that the OE bracing does? The main issue that I can see is that the OE one ties the car side to side while the Steeda example does not. Given the leverage that's getting applied to that little plate in the very back, I don't know how much rigidity it's actually providing, but I will defer to the smart people.

Anxiously awaiting opinions and advise!
Sponsored

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
I didn't have a problem with the Hooker Blackheart cat backs. Not much clearance with the rear support prebent tubing has to be accurate

OP
OP
robertwsimpson

robertwsimpson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Exhaust vs brace.JPG

Here is a better photo of where my specific issue arose. You can see the little arch in the brace. I just took the arch out with a hydraulic press and it looks like everything is ok. I am going to use some washers to fine tune the distance from the body and that should do it.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Well then....

Exhaust vs brace.JPG

Here is a better photo of where my specific issue arose. You can see the little arch in the brace. I just took the arch out with a hydraulic press and it looks like everything is ok. I am going to use some washers to fine tune the distance from the body and that should do it.
The brute force method of fitting new parts come in handy once again. Well played Sir.

Sponsored

jpaul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt convertabile
hi mr robert did you install a regular Gt cat back exhaust and just bent the brace with that press i want the stainless works exhaust if i can do what you did might go down this path thx

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Robert. You are right. The OE bracing attaches body parts so the body does not twist and flex under torque or hard cornering.

I do not know if the Steeda bracing is compatible (fit) with the vert. But they attack different problems.

CVCashmere

Actually, looking at it again, the OE brace doesn't even mount to the sub-frame. The plot thickens!

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
For the Ecoboost there is the MBRP street and race series catbacks that fit (I asked MBRP directly about this, Id previously tried to have a XForce Varex installed... which didnt fit even though they said it did, they've now updated their website). Ill be able to confirm this 100% in about 2 weeks once it arrives and I get it fit. I dont think there's any other cat back anywhere that fits on the Ecoboost 'Vert.

The GT has a fair few more options from what Ive seen, the Varex system for instance does work on the GT 'vert.

Most are good about saying they support it or not, otherwise check the comments on Americanmuscle or cjponyparts and someone generally has details there.

The extra bracing does need to come off and put back on for any cat back, as the exhaust goes through it and the subframe.

Axle backs all just fit, as it's all behind the bracing.

Kcode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robb
Vehicle(s)
TY EcoBoost Prem Vert Auto PerfPkg Nav
Solo exhaust for '15 Eco PP Vert

I have had the Solo system on my car for just over a year. Fits fine, sounds good. Just returned from 8,000 km trip to Newfoundland. If an aftermarket exhaust doesn't make noise after driving on those roads in NFLD it will survive anywhere. Highly recommended.

Nickrt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
I read somewhere that the first few months of the frpp by borla exhaust didnt fit for the convertible but exhaust produced after March (from memory) of 2015 were tweaked to fit. I have the borla touring (straight borla) and it fits perfectly. I did try a used frpp sport that was purchased in 2015 and it did not fit correctly. Could not verify month of manufacture.

Sponsored

mrbrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Convertible
I have the MBRP Race on mine, I did have to add 3/8" spacers between the brace and body contact points. Otherwise no issues & love the exhaust.

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert
I have the Ford performance Touring Quad Tip Cat back and it fits like a glove, no issues with the Brace. I would highly recommend removing the brace to install. You can pull the old exhaust off in one peace and it make getting to Differential hangers easier.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
H-Pipe Fit fine

Today, Evolution Performance in Aston PA put on my Mishimoto H-pipe without any issues from the rear subframe. They were able to work around it.

Little more rumble going down the street now. Still keeping the stock exhaust for the time being.

Nice job by Dalton. They were knowledgable and easy to work with. Out front next to my car was an 1,100 HP Shelby convertible. Every trick in the book was installed on it...Kenny Bell, etc.

CVCashmere

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Today, Evolution Performance in Aston PA put on my Mishimoto H-pipe without any issues from the rear subframe. They were able to work around it.

Little more rumble going down the street now. Still keeping the stock exhaust for the time being.

Nice job by Dalton. They were knowledgable and easy to work with. Out front next to my car was an 1,100 HP Shelby convertible. Every trick in the book was installed on it...Kenny Bell, etc.

CVCashmere
Clamped or welded?
Sponsored