Sponsored

15 GT vs Golf R

Sunburst

Turtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mustang (project car)
I have a race coming up against a 2015 VW golf R at the 1/8th mile drag strip next weekend. My car has cold air intake, Lund tune, cat deletes, and corsa sport exhaust. I have stainless power 1 7/8 long tube headers going on this week. I have 28 inch Hoosier slicks on a 17 inch wheel and my best time at the drag strip (1/8 mile) before headers was a 7.7@93mph. The golf R launches excellent since it's AWD and has new r888 tires, intake, stage 1 tune, and exhaust I believe. Both cars are auto. Do you think I can out run him?
Sponsored

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Based on drivetrain loss and power/weight ratio, I think so. Going to come down to how you launch. Much easier in his car.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
No converter?!
Win for the VW. The cars are very light , and the transmissions on those little things are insane.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
That golf might pull a 1.5x 60ft and be gone. It'll be very very hard for you to maintain on the 1/8.

OP
OP
Sunburst

Sunburst

Turtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I was worried about. I might pull the rear seat out and put my spare 18" wheels on the front to shed some weight

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sunburst

Sunburst

Turtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I typically get around a 1.8 60 ft

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
APR says
Stage 1 tune only requires fuel pump
Stage 2 tune requires fuel pump, intake & exhaust
Then you have 91, 93 & 100oct versions of those tunes.

So you never really know what he has because looks the same.

If he's tell you straight up stage 1 tune with intake & exhaust, you have him. If he's got Stage 2 tune on 100oct, removing seats isn't going to help. But will allow him to say he beat a race prepped stripped GT on slicks. Sounds like you should drop-in a secret 150hp shot of nitrous instead of removing seats ;)
IMG_0064.PNG
IMG_0063.PNG

OP
OP
Sunburst

Sunburst

Turtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm usually able to hook pretty good with the slicks on

https://instagram.com/p/BMuJol6gOrt/

Only thing that worries me is he might not be completely honest on what's done to the car or he will install some new modifications this week before the run

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
You should be a 7.6-7.8 second car in good air. With your current mods. From watching endless 4 bangers try and make strong passes at Atco. You got this. EASY!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sunburst

Sunburst

Turtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should be a 7.6-7.8 second car in good air. With your current mods. From watching endless 4 bangers try and make strong passes at Atco. You got this. EASY!
My best pass without long tubes and with heavy 20" front wheels was a 7.72@93mph, I'm hoping I can cut that down once the headers are on and I throw my spare 18" wheels on the front

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If it's APR tuned, you're in for a fight. I've lost to one twice. One in a roll starting from 50, I think - I was coming back from Pony Wars with a bunch of stuff like two tires/wheels and tools in my car, but I didn't realize I was up against a Golf R so I went for it and found out I was up against a Golf R when I was looking at the backside of it. Tried again... no joy.

The other absolutely raped me on a road course... absolutely shamed me into oblivion. My jaw dropped as he blew by me. That one was a Stage 3 APR car driven by an "I was novice 20 years ago" grade of driver. I could not believe how fast he went by me. I actually almost wanted one after that... almost.

Anyway, given your specs - I don't think you'll have an easy time. Launch perfectly...

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I seen a r stage 1 run 11.7 yesterday at capitol,not sure what his 1/8 was.Also seen the stage 2 go 11.0 at the track.Dont sleep on these cars,if again IF the guy can drive these cars are damm quick.

OP
OP
Sunburst

Sunburst

Turtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it's APR tuned, you're in for a fight. I've lost to one twice. One in a roll starting from 50, I think - I was coming back from Pony Wars with a bunch of stuff like two tires/wheels and tools in my car, but I didn't realize I was up against a Golf R so I went for it and found out I was up against a Golf R when I was looking at the backside of it. Tried again... no joy.

The other absolutely raped me on a road course... absolutely shamed me into oblivion. My jaw dropped as he blew by me. That one was a Stage 3 APR car driven by an "I was novice 20 years ago" grade of driver. I could not believe how fast he went by me. I actually almost wanted one after that... almost.

Anyway, given your specs - I don't think you'll have an easy time. Launch perfectly...
Yes it's an APR stage 1 tune he says. Looks like otherwise he just has exhaust and a diverter valve on the turbo. It launches excellent. But at the track with my slicks on, I typically have a very good reaction time and minimal spinning so I'm hoping that will help me.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yes it's an APR stage 1 tune he says. Looks like otherwise he just has exhaust and a diverter valve on the turbo. It launches excellent. But at the track with my slicks on, I typically have a very good reaction time and minimal spinning so I'm hoping that will help me.
I'd let him win the first one - make it close but let him win. Then he has his confidence up, when you go the second round, do a mean nasty crazy loud burnout. Scare him a little. Then... launch perfectly and get gone. May need a little V8 intimidation factor throw him off his game a little. :)
Sponsored