Sponsored

2016 GT base model suspension seems sloppy

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My 2016 GT base model seems a bit sloppy when taking mildly hard turns on imperfect roads. Seems it is not quite "connected" as it should be. I'm not saying it's terrible, just should feel tighter with less flex or mush when on uneven surfaces. My old 92 Notch with pitman, subframes and Tokico shocks seemed more connected to the road somehow. Does a set of lowering springs help in this department? Thanks.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My 2016 GT base model seems a bit sloppy when taking mildly hard turns on imperfect roads. Seems it is not quite "connected" as it should be. I'm not saying it's terrible, just should feel tighter with less flex or mush when on uneven surfaces. My old 92 Notch with pitman, subframes and Tokico shocks seemed more connected to the road somehow. Does a set of lowering springs help in this department? Thanks.
Yes you're correct. Springs, dampers and chassis bracing (front strut tower brace and cowl to strut tower k-brace...FRPP sells a kit for about $180) will do wonders.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Was in the same boat as you. There are a ton of great threads on how to fix this. All about preference (low, firm, adjustable, etc). And Bmac is right, that is the route I am going and so far, so good.

GDP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Deep Impact
just adding the strut tower brace kit did wonders for such a simple and small price. Spings + shocks/struts are next for me.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Strut tower braces work that well? I've been on the fence about getting one. Since my car had 20" factory wheels, it came with the cowl brace already installed, but no strut tower brace. I've been thinking about grabbing a gt350 one, mainly for looks but some added handling improvements would be nice.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Strut tower braces work that well? I've been on the fence about getting one. Since my car had 20" factory wheels, it came with the cowl brace already installed, but no strut tower brace. I've been thinking about grabbing a gt350 one, mainly for looks but some added handling improvements would be nice.
Yes it does.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Yes it does.
I tend to agree. Our Oz cars have the cowl brace but not the strut brace and so I recently added one (Ford Racing black).

Looks good and completes the engine bay AND on reflection on the drive through the hills this morning, the car did feel really good and sharp through the corners.

Only other mods are the BMR springs (SP089 & 082) about 6 months ago.

I have the cradle lockout CB005 and 4 pt front chassis brace CB006 yet to install and hopefully this further improves things. I can't see it upsetting the current balance.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I tend to agree. Our Oz cars have the cowl brace but not the strut brace and so I recently added one (Ford Racing black).

Looks good and completes the engine bay AND on reflection on the drive through the hills this morning, the car did feel really good and sharp through the corners.

Only other mods are the BMR springs (SP089 & 082) about 6 months ago.

I have the cradle lockout CB005 and 4 pt front chassis brace CB006 yet to install and hopefully this further improves things. I can't see it upsetting the current balance.
:cheers:

The strut tower and cowl brace was my first mod.

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2000 C5, 2006 Eclipse GT, 2003 Evo 8
it is sloppy. Buy some steeda shocks and springs.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
it is sloppy. Buy some steeda shocks and springs.
Best advice I have seen all night :cheers:

Happy to help with forum pricing!

Best Regards,

TJ

Sponsored

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
I'd say the value of the strut tower brace is debatable, especially if you already have the cowl brace. A good percentage of the hardcore S197 track junkies don't run with strut tower braces because the car is stiff enough and its just adds extra weight. World challenge and TA4 cars don't run a brace (albeit these race cars also have cages).

The S550 is the stiffest mustang chassis yet. If S197 guys don't need it, then we don't need it either.
TA4-S197.jpg

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
strut tower brace is really just for looks. I think you guys may notice slightly quicker turn in but I doubt there's any real difference in "handling" benefit.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I dont think at all that you have to go so far in to as shocks and springs or dampers. but I started with a PP model so I was way ahead of the base GT cars. The rear of this car definitely needs a lot of help.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say the value of the strut tower brace is debatable, especially if you already have the cowl brace. A good percentage of the hardcore S197 track junkies don't run with strut tower braces because the car is stiff enough and its just adds extra weight. World challenge and TA4 cars don't run a brace (albeit these race cars also have cages).

The S550 is the stiffest mustang chassis yet. If S197 guys don't need it, then we don't need it either.
Let's see a picture of that chassis underneath. I bet there's a lot of bracing under there if they're forgoing the top. Lower cg, possibly less weight. Outside of feel, your suspension tuning is diminished without the suspension points being rigid relative to the roll stiffness. Given that these are race cars, and have even higher wheel rates than the street cars, they need the rigidity even more. The rule of thumb I used for design was always 10x the difference in the roll stiffness between front and rear to achieve a rigid enough chassis.

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shocks and springs make a huge huge huge difference. its like the difference between a base model lancer and an evo. the factory ford suspension is awful
Sponsored