Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mule? Front Gills/Louvers

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

Interesting. That hood doesn't look designed to clear a supercharger.

Either an NA hp bump 350, the already done gt4, or an ecoboost setup.
The fender hills are quite interesting. But they don't look like the aesthetic of other openings on the car. That could mean either they are rough, functional cuts to test, since it's using a soon to be outdated from the end, or it means nothing and could have been an experiment on the current model. Or... very likely... it was simply an early test of louveted extractors that have since been moved to the hood for simpler and cheaper production... on the CURRENT gt4, which is likely what it is. Would explain the entirety of this card setup, which is a mule we've seen before.

http://roa.h-cdn.co/assets/16/44/980x490/landscape-1478018357-mustang-gt4-ford-performance-2.jpg

http://roa.h-cdn.co/assets/16/44/768x432/gallery-1478021528-mustang-gt4-ford-performance-3.jpg
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Interesting. That hood doesn't look designed to clear a supercharger.

Either an NA hp bump 350, the already done gt4, or an ecoboost setup.
The fender hills are quite interesting. But they don't look like the aesthetic of other openings on the car.
Or this could be the long rumoured Mach 1? I'd expect that to be normally aspirated....hopefully with a cross plane crank 5.2 :)

However, you'd assume the fender gills (sure there should be 3 to match the DRLs ;) ) would be required for a FI setup.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Or this could be the long rumoured Mach 1? I'd expect that to be normally aspirated....hopefully with a cross plane crank 5.2 :)

However, you'd assume the fender gills (sure there should be 3 to match the DRLs ;) ) would be required for a FI setup.
Though I'd like it to be otherwise, I've completed my post to reveal what I actually think it is: just a mule experimenting with heat extraction for the gt4. Those gills having been moved to the hood (and expanded) for cheaper production.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Very possible :)

However, not sure why they'd need to test the GT4 on the road and, therefore, camo it.

Good old Ford.....always keeping us guessing :)

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Very possible :)

However, not sure why they'd need to test the GT4 on the road and, therefore, camo it.

Good old Ford.....always keeping us guessing :)
It's a race car. But testing should involve more than simply racing it on a race track only.

In reverse logic, it would be like saying why test a street car on a race track?

You learn different things in different environments.

And there may be gt350 improvements to be had from gt4 development. History would seem to prove this out.

In any case, Ford needs to get a move on with the enthusiast Mustangs (Cobra/Mach/etc) because outside of the 350 performance and overall sales numbers, it's not cool watching Camaro being given a free pass to rule the streets (SS>GT/v6>eco4/ZL1 top dog by default).

The ecoboost tech is superior. The v8 engine tech is superior. They e dialed in handling. The A10 will match chevys A10.

Just need to dump some weight and pull the trigger on upgrades and halo models. 3 years in already...

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I just do not buy into the theory that a GT4 was tested on the street. Some high performance street cars need to be tested on a race track because they may be driven on a race track during track days for street cars. To test a GT4 on the street would really not provide the engineers with data necessary for high speed racing. I see a street driven Mustang being optimized for future use as a model available for street use and track days. Maybe a 2019 GT350R if the 2018 GT350 is to remain unchanged.

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Changes to the '18MY GT350 would go against this though, which stated "the only changes to the 2018 Shelby GT350/R will be exterior colours. All other functional interior and exterior content will carry over from 17MY"
Well, that's a bummer. There were rumors that the GT350 was going to get the new Tremec DCT for '18. I know there are purists who only want the manual but I think having a choice is always good.

I don't think Tremec would build a unit like that without an OEM commitment so I guess the other rumor I heard might be true, that it's going to be used in the upcoming mid-engined Corvette as a transaxle unit.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I just do not buy into the theory that a GT4 was tested on the street. Some high performance street cars need to be tested on a race track because they may be driven on a race track during track days for street cars. To test a GT4 on the street would really not provide the engineers with data necessary for high speed racing. I see a street driven Mustang being optimized for future use as a model available for street use and track days. Maybe a 2019 GT350R if the 2018 GT350 is to remain unchanged.
It would provide plenty of Data for a reliable race car.

The car won't be in full race mode all the time.

And street testing allows for some of the improvements to be tested for viability in a street car.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Well, that's a bummer. There were rumors that the GT350 was going to get the new Tremec DCT for '18. I know there are purists who only want the manual but I think having a choice is always good.

I don't think Tremec would build a unit like that without an OEM commitment so I guess the other rumor I heard might be true, that it's going to be used in the upcoming mid-engined Corvette as a transaxle unit.
Agreed on choice. Anything that betters performance vs "but this is the way it's always been done."

Leaving performance on the table because of a preference is not the wisest route to improving a car.

Also,, it would be really sad to see an ecoboost having the newest body style while the top of the line expensive 350 is stuck with outdated dude. Something's wrong with that.

Hope they're just working through the paperwork.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
More that likely.

However, at some point they'll have to test it with a production front/rear end, even if its camo'd. Only once we see the prototypes will we have a better idea as to when it'll be officially released.
Uh Oh... looks like someone caught it.

It seems there still could be TWO engine options as thePill stated looooooooooooooong ago.

A Supercharged V8 (the base model) making ZL1 levels of power. Then the state of the art, Ecoboost V8 (Twin/BiT/Sequence) for the GT500KR.

I will keep you as informed as I possibly can. There isnt much thePill hasn't discussed here already.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I hope that mule is a 2018 GT350. It would be so cool to have front fender side vents. That would be revolutionary !
There is a very good chance that could have been the 2019 GT350. The fascia is somewhat based on the 500's.

I think they are still testing in a Roush or '15-'17 GT350 for the most part and sticking to Night testing in canvas in a controlled area they own.

Birddogjr350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
james
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150 FX4
Changes to the '18MY GT350 would go against this though, which stated "the only changes to the 2018 Shelby GT350/R will be exterior colours. All other functional interior and exterior content will carry over from 17MY"

attachment.png
Can't belive everything you read!!!!

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mach 1/GT500 Owner
Oh my Lordy.....those are the sort of photos that would get someone fired! :eyebulge:

I'm assuming these were taken at a Ford or Roush facility. It also appears to be the same prototype that was spotted on the streets (016 M 500). That same car was spotted with two different rear wings and different wheels up front.

maxresdefault.jpg

attachment.jpg

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60993

Somebody is definitely getting fired for that with possible criminal charges! I work computer forensics and it will not take long to figure it out. They will probably start with looking at video cameras and then everyone's phone who had access. They will also download the pictures and study the metadata. Someone will be screwed big time for this! Hope it was worth it to that person.....:paddle:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Those side gills would have probably helped flow air along the turbos. Too bad the turbo v8 isn't coming. Oh well..something different would have been nice to have. There's still a chance... It's disheartening to think they wouldnt bring it for cost reasons. I guess maybe even 10k more wouldn't be affordable to the masses.
How about ford just come up with a scheme to forbid ADM...and there you go..ad 10k more in components.
Sponsored