Sponsored

PP2 Rev Hang

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
The tuner who did my PP2 install gave me a call this morning. He told me not to hold my breath for a new calibration from Ford, but that he can fix the cold rev hang issue. So I'll be dropping by there soon to have it done. Fingers crossed, but he seems to have a great deal of expertise in tuning.
Sponsored

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
So this is a tune separate from the PP2 tune?

carlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt vert
I would like to know if this is cause by the PP2 tune. Have you had any other issues with the PP2 package ?

Eljay52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium, MT, Ford racing x-pipe Roush Phase 2.
I have PP1 and have rev hang. I've gotten used to it. When I called FP early on they denied that it existed. When I'm driving on secondary roads in third gear around 3K rpm and let off the gas it hangs there at 3K for a few seconds. Maybe Jim's San Diego tuner can fix that for me.

OP
OP

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would like to know if this is cause by the PP2 tune. Have you had any other issues with the PP2 package ?
He said he could change the PP2 calibration to eliminate the problem. I let the car warm up in the garage for five minutes today, and I didn't experience any rev hang.

The only other characteristic of the PP2 tune is the tendency of the throttle valve to close abruptly when I take my foot off the accelerator. It feels like I hit the brakes. He said this is desirable in a track car. When I shut it down in the garage with the windows open, I can hear the valve slam closed.

Sponsored

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
When do you plan to have this done? Can you please elaborate on the specifics of the "calibration' modification? Re-running some type of calibration or is he re-tuning the ecu?

OP
OP

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When do you plan to have this done? Can you please elaborate on the specifics of the "calibration' modification? Re-running some type of calibration or is he re-tuning the ecu?
I plan to have it done as soon as he has time - probably next week. First he wants to extract the ECU map and study it to determine the best way to go. I'll be sure to keep the forum updated. I also plan to have it dynoed just for grins.

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
I plan to have it done as soon as he has time - probably next week. First he wants to extract the ECU map and study it to determine the best way to go. I'll be sure to keep the forum updated. I also plan to have it dynoed just for grins.
Good info and looking forward to results, also wondering if the map change will cause warranty issues.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It's probably CAUSED by the fact they used the GT350 TB on the stock intake manifold. It uses different electronics. If they supplied a different TB with a larger bore but the same electronics, I'm willing to bet the subsequent tune would be excellent.

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
It's probably CAUSED by the fact they used the GT350 TB on the stock intake manifold. It uses different electronics. If they supplied a different TB with a larger bore but the same electronics, I'm willing to bet the subsequent tune would be excellent.
Your statement feels incomplete, please elaborate. You don't think Ford Performance calibrated the ecu and tune for the larger throttle body? That seems quite basic and unlikely that an engineering capable company would miss that or deem it unnecessary.

Sponsored

Mr. Motion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium w/ Perf. Pack & PP2
The tuner who did my PP2 install gave me a call this morning. He told me not to hold my breath for a new calibration from Ford, but that he can fix the cold rev hang issue. So I'll be dropping by there soon to have it done. Fingers crossed, but he seems to have a great deal of expertise in tuning.
Oh come on now! The rev hang is only present when the car is cold and running in an open loop condition. Just back off a bit before shifting and keep it under 3000 rpms (which you should be doing anyway). Once it's warm and running in a closed loop, the rev hang is completely gone. I think that you're playing with fire by messing with the mapping!

OP
OP

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand the symptom, and I'm going to have it fixed if I can. In the worst case, he can reinstall the stock PP2 tune.

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
In that case the pp3 should not have any rev hang. :popcorn:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Every tuner shys folks away from the GT350 TB because it is more difficult to tune. If Ford Performance could tune it, we wouldn't have needless rev hang. I took my kit off, got a different tune, and weird... zero issues.

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
The rev hang is more of a nuisance than an "issue".
Sponsored