Sponsored

All you soppy tarts wanting a spare wheel...

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
Hands up, I buckled and got the Australian solution. Simmons rim from Oz, rubber from here. I just need to get a bottle jack now and I'm sorted.
IMG_1095.jpg
Sponsored

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
Yea ok guilty.

I was talked into it by the tyre fitter who was swapping my p zeros for MPSS. He basically saw the gunk / pump stuff and said - "you know we can't get a patch to stick if you've used the gunk. If you want any chance of saving the tyre you need a real spare". So I buckled and got the "gnome" australian solution

In answer to your question:

Simmons Rim with offset machined to fit (no idea what that means) + set of nuts as stock Ford are too big + shipping to UK = £300
+
Tax and import duty: £65
+
Tyre, fitted: £80
+
oh yea, I need a bottle jack: £20
=
£465

To give it credit, it's a good looking wheel. But yea, go with the Levittown solution at half the price. Mind you, I'll end up having to sell this setup anyway if I upgrade the brakes to GT350R which I wouldn't mind doing sometime.

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT fastback, Ruby Red Auto, custom.
Alternatively get the Ford tyre insurance, covers new tyres for punctured ones and damaged alloys for up to 3 per year for 3 years or more for just over £200. Seemed reasonable to me as probably have at least one £200 tyre replaced in that timescale.

Last edited:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Alternatively get the Ford tyre and wheel insurance, covers new tyres for punctured ones and damaged alloys for up to 3 per year for 3 years or more for just over £200. Seemed reasonable to me as probably have at least one £200 tyre replaced in that timescale.
Slice tyres before reset = free set ;)!

Sponsored

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
I thought the alloys and tyres insurances were separate - i.e. £200 each?

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I thought the alloys and tyres insurances were separate - i.e. £200 each?
I stand corrected and have just checked my paperwork, tyres only but up to five replacements during life of policy. When I originally ordered in 2015 it was a combined policy at higher cost but when I took delivery in Sept 2016 they had changed it to separate policies but at lower cost, hence the confusion :cheers:

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
I've thought of a serious question...
I've yet to buy a low profile trolley jack to save me rolling up onto blocks of wood when I want to jack the front. Would a standard scissor jack fit under a lowered car? Can you get one low enough? Would you have to carry your low-profile trolley jack negating the benefit of having a spare that fitted in the wheel well?
In that case you'd be as well buying a full size wheel, whichever it is that fits front and back.

OK, three questions...
The standard Mustang jack goes down to about 75mm/3in not including the recess for the body seam.
Jack.JPG

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Still free.... Ish... £200 for 9 brand new pz's? :shrug:!
No because Ford compensated me with a full set of MPSS fitted on delivery due to them cocking up my order, so I've never had the joys of experiencing P-Zeros. :clap2:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
No because Ford compensated me with a full set of MPSS fitted on delivery due to them cocking up my order, so I've never had the joys of experiencing P-Zeros. :clap2:
Same as Slowhand... bastard lol ;)

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
Nah, ill just keep a tyre repair kit and will look into run flats when the tyres wear out.

Hate the ride quality but the peace of mind is nice! Defo don't want to be spending any time at all on the side of a road.
Sponsored