Sponsored

S550 GT500 in Car and Driver

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Certainly early (07-09) S197 GT500 was a bit of a blunt instrument but, like every Mustang before it, it improved year on year. The '10MY saw improved suspension (with the facelift).....the '11MY introduced the aluminium block for improved weight distribution and it all gelled perfectly with the '13/'14 models with the bonkers 662hp and even more dialled in suspension.

However, I think we'd all agree there was only so much a solid rear axle was going to be able to cope with in terms of chassis finesse.

To me, the '13/'14 will go down as the last of the "old school" Muscle Mustangs.

I'm expecting the '19/'20 GT500/Halo-Stang to be as track capable as a GT350, but with enough horses to make the '13/'14 GT500 feel underpowered :ford:
I was told the "GT500" will outperform the GT350 in every way including it's own element the track. That could mean the GT350R.

I expect that it will have no problem doing that for a few laps.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I was told the "GT500" will outperform the GT350 in every way including it's own element the track. That could mean the GT350R.

I expect that it will have no problem doing that for a few laps.

No doubt whatever hi-po Mustang comes out after the GT350 will put up a quicker lap time, but it will be how it feels when doing so that will make the difference. I would imagine the GT350 would be easier to explore the limits whereas the next big thing will have the driver working even harder to put the power down.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
No doubt whatever hi-po Mustang comes out after the GT350 will put up a quicker lap time, but it will be how it feels when doing so that will make the difference. I would imagine the GT350 would be easier to explore the limits whereas the next big thing will have the driver working even harder to put the power down.
I am hoping it is over shadowed. I want their price to come down.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I am hoping it is over shadowed. I want their price to come down.

I don't think it will have a measurable effect. The car will remain desirable for quite a while. I think the ADM dealers will have no problem having another marked up model sitting in their showrooms.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
The 350R is quite a car, It's really fun to drive and with the FPC It really is a unique experience. It won't be the faster of the two, but unless the GT500 has zero lag and is lighter, I assume it won't be as fun to drive from a sheer enjoyment standpoint.

Like mentioned, it will be more of a bear to take to the extreme. STILL, it will cater to the straight line speed crowd. Much faster zero to 60 times. I like both and if the next gt500/cobra is well thought out, I'll add it in the garage. I'm NOT going to ditch the 350R for it. It's a different animal and deserves a spot in the garage. Who knows if the 350 will live alongside the 500, but I could see it staying for a lower price point alternative.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
If the GT350R gets direct injection in addition to port injection, it could be more suitable on a road course than the next GT500.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I don't think it will have a measurable effect. The car will remain desirable for quite a while. I think the ADM dealers will have no problem having another marked up model sitting in their showrooms.
Don't piss in my Cheerios.:) I really hoping for their price to come down. I would like to get one in a few years.

Honesty I haven't seen a ADM for a non R in some time. There are alot of attractive used perspectives, and plenty of new GT350s at MSRP.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
unless the GT500 has zero lag and is lighter
Ford's already got that taken care of on the GT: V6 and anti-lag software routines.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the next big Mustang will be an Ecoboost V6. Ford isn't going to try to win the races with HP numbers. They're going to win it by making the car lighter than the competition. I predict a mid-600 HP twin screw V6 that weighs less than 3400 lbs.

I hope I'm wrong. :mad:

EDIT: Twin scroll, not twin screw.

Last edited:

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
I hope you meant to type "twin-scroll" not twin screw.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Ford's already got that taken care of on the GT: V6 and anti-lag software routines.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the next big Mustang will be an Ecoboost V6. Ford isn't going to try to win the races with HP numbers. They're going to win it by making the car lighter than the competition. I predict a mid-600 HP twin screw V6 that weighs less than 3400 lbs.

I hope I'm wrong. :mad:
That would be the dumbest move ever. The next hi-pop won't be doing that.

Sponsored

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
Certainly early (07-09) S197 GT500 was a bit of a blunt instrument but, like every Mustang before it, it improved year on year. The '10MY saw improved suspension (with the facelift).....the '11MY introduced the aluminium block for improved weight distribution and it all gelled perfectly with the '13/'14 models with the bonkers 662hp and even more dialled in suspension.

However, I think we'd all agree there was only so much a solid rear axle was going to be able to cope with in terms of chassis finesse.

To me, the '13/'14 will go down as the last of the "old school" Muscle Mustangs.

I'm expecting the '19/'20 GT500/Halo-Stang to be as track capable as a GT350, but with enough horses to make the '13/'14 GT500 feel underpowered :ford:
Remember this performance demonstration from the last incarnation of the GT500 at the Nurburg.........
[ame]

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I just hope ford leads the way with a TTv8. No more fucking around with heat soaking superchargers.
Amen man.... that would put out insane power. With the 755 hp number floating around, they are either pourposly restricting flow to a 5.2 TT hahaha, maybe its a 4.6TT or a supercharged 5.2, my guess, its the latter... Maybe they will have enough cooling to keep it from heat soaking. I hear the zl1 can go all day with no heat soak...so maybe it can be done.

Ford could definitely make it easier on themselves with a turbo set up.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
There is no way ford is gonna F that up again. They would have gotten better mileage and performance in the raptor with a v8 TT.
The gas mileage in a 2800lb 650 HP GT with superb aero totally blows. They won't do a v6, I promise you that. I'm hoping for a 5.2 TT. If it is, tune to 900 SHOULD be doable.
Sponsored