Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Getting closer..
Pumped airbags to 30psi for overnight leak-down test before installing. Call me over cautious, but it would suck to get it all installed and then find that some of the thread sealer is leaking somewhere, or worse, a faulty airbag.
Also took the time to record the current ground to guard measurements which might prove handy when looking for a baseline of some sort. Put it this way, I know that the alignment is spot on at the current height.
So, 690 front and 695 rear it is.
Bring on tomorrow!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Time allowing, I may also see what it takes to make these Project 6GR wheels tuck up in the guards...:hail:
image.jpg

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Time allowing, I may also see what it takes to make these Project 6GR wheels tuck up in the guards...:hail:
Looking good mate :thumbsup: what colour rims did you end up going for ?

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looking good mate :thumbsup: what colour rims did you end up going for ?
Satin black at the moment but antique brushed gloss bronze isn't off the table.
There's a lengthy back story as to why I didn't go them in the first place, delivery time being the main point. But then we (myself and two others) had what could best be described as a shipping fuck up of the highest order. A thread will be created detailing how NOT to ship things once it is resolved.
Put simply, if you want Project wheels in OZ, just buy them from Fred Solazzo [MENTION=23751]Vogtland Mustang[/MENTION] and be done with it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Satin black at the moment but antique brushed gloss bronze isn't off the table.
There's a lengthy back story as to why I didn't go them in the first place, delivery time being the main point. But then we (myself and two others) had what could best be described as a shipping fuck up of the highest order. A thread will be created detailing how NOT to ship things once it is resolved.
Put simply, if you want Project wheels in OZ, just buy them from Fred Solazzo [MENTION=23751]Vogtland Mustang[/MENTION] and be done with it. :thumbsup:
Yeah that's why I asked mate as I remember you had a taste for bronze :D looks good anyway mate and I can't wait to see them tucked :thumbsup:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that's why I asked mate as I remember you had a taste for bronze :D looks good anyway mate and I can't wait to see them tucked :thumbsup:
If by "taste" you mean "fetish"...guilty as accused :D
Fortunately, or unfortunately, one of my wheels was damaged during shipping, so I may end up with a spare wheel for painting. So if all goes to plan, I'll be getting one done for demo purposes. Having now seen the wheels in person for the first time, I can safely say that they are sexy enough that you might want to make a feature of them, rather than hiding them in black.
Nothing wrong with the satin black finish, it looks great. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=13920]Enoch[/MENTION]
yep, you've got a case of it for sure. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What a day.
This is the ultra jerry-rigged version of how to install airbags in a hurry...
The original idea was to install the airlines under the car and THEN install the bags. But I'm impatient, so why do things the logical way right?
Got the fronts done, aired them up, took it for a drive to test.
Initial observations are good.
I couldn't notice ANY difference in the way the car handles. More testing to follow as time allows.
Ride quality is improved. It's not HUGELY different, but it IS smoother.
Haven't played with the damping settings or anything of the sort at this point. Put simply, I ran out of time due to other commitments (life).
Rears are installed, just need to run the airlines, but again, life is getting in the way.
So, here's some pics of how to rig up the most basic system imaginable.
IMG_1779.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
And this
IMG_1780.jpg

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
And this one
IMG_1781.jpg

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Got the rears installed today, at last.
Running the air lines was actually simple enough, just had to muster up the courage to drill holes in the subframe :eyebulge:
I did some test holes on some sheet metal before attacking the car. I really wanted a precise fit. The result is an air line that doesn't want to be dragged through a rubber grommet of course, so a little cable-pulling lube sorted that out very nicely. Being water based, easy clean up was high on the list of properties for any lube to be used in such a way. Added bonus is that it won't harm the lines at all.

Once everything was installed and aired up to my normal ride height (same height as the 35mm drop springs I pulled out), it was time to check the wheels and tyres for clearance.
My method was to place a jack under the diff and air out the rear bags, bit by bit, checking for clearance the whole time.
I quickly worked out that the Project 6GR wheels with THESE tyres, were going to need -1.8 degrees camber to provide adequate clearance to the guards.
Dialled in the required camber, aired her up to normal height and found that any poke of the tyre was gone. WIN!

SO HOW DOES IT GO?
Well, it's early days, I've just set it up as per the manufacturers specs.
It feels "slightly" smoother than the springs I pulled out, particularly on the smaller bumps.
I can't feel any discernible difference in handling yet, but I haven't pushed it to the limits as yet. That will come in time. I'm still bedding the fresh tyres, so traction and grip haven't peaked yet.

I'll provide the relevant feedback when the time comes. :cheers:
IMG_1799.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase