Sponsored

Anyone here installed the MGW race-spec shifter?

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
As per title really, has anyone on this side of the water installed the MGW race-spec shifter?

It looks like a bloody work of art, and reviews seem universally to praise the ground it walks on!

However,

Its expensive

and

The install looks, ahem, involved.

Insights welcomed.
Sponsored

Johnny 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' GT Premium, 6MT
As per title really, has anyone on this side of the water installed the MGW race-spec shifter?

It looks like a bloody work of art, and reviews seem universally to praise the ground it walks on!

However,

Its expensive

and

The install looks, ahem, involved.

Insights welcomed.

I love it. It's awesome, makes shifting feel amazing, but as you said expensive and is a bear to install alone. It took me four hours with a lift. Definitely recommend though. I wouldn't go back for anything. MGW has the praise and the following for a reason.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Would you even bother to attmept with no access to a lift?

I installed my Steeda short-shift and trans bracket laying on my back, and it was awful.

Then again, around these parts there are no garages experienced with an install either.

So its do it myself, or maybe wait (a long time) to get it to someone like Modurstang.

I presume its been reliable?

Johnny 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' GT Premium, 6MT
I don't know if I could in good conscience recommend attempting the install without a lift, I can't imagine how much pain that would cause lol. In all seriousness though it was only one bolt that caused the most pain for me so it's probably doable with ramps.

I've definitely not had any issues and I'm sure I never will. This thing is solid.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Cool, thanks for the insight.

Which bolt was it... the one right on the top over the top of the propshaft?

Sponsored

Johnny 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' GT Premium, 6MT
That's the one. It's a pain alone. You have to pull down on the trans to get your hand in their and it's definitely the longest part of the whole thing. Everything else is smooth. Just takes time.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Unfortunately the reason I'm thinking of changing is that I'm having issues with my current Steeda items on the car.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
MGW installed was fairly easy for me, but I had the driveshaft out also :D. The videos help a lot and you will need to review it a few times. Don't install it until you watch it at lease once and then go for it. There are parts of the video where you may and may not need to do. For my install, I didn't need to unbolt the base of the OEM shfter. I ended up taking the whole OEM shifter out in one piece and the MGW came built already. I don't think the video reflect this and you will need to keep it in mind. Use blue loctite on the bolts before installing and once everything is in, then tighten everything. The small 10mm bolt at the very top where you have to pull the tranny down is a bear, but I was able to reach up there and slide my arm into place for bolting. Then I slid my arm towards the rear of the car and was free after wards. Hardest part for me was the rubber boot. I don't know why I such a hard time sliding that thing over :confused:.

Sponsored
OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Hi [MENTION=21204]kapiteinlangzaam[/MENTION] sorry to hear that. Thats one of the good things about our lifetime warranty though.

Please PM / email me with details of any issue?
Hey @steeda_uk

Already posted here:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75430

Ive sent one or two PMs back and forth with steeda tech (presumably in the USA) and theyve suggested that 'something must be twisted'.

Thats about as far as we have got.

It means I have to get back under the car and disassemble things, which is a massive PITA at the moment and something which I quite resent. LOL!

I kind of expect things just to work (and I know they do for a lot of people), but theyre not for me :(

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I did the install my self on 4 jack stands without issue. Its a little involved, but nothing if you have the time and really could be done in a couple hours. The race spec goes in now with boot on from the inside as its been redesigned for easier install. I even shortened my handle for a custom look.

sheps5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 2015 GT
Hey @steeda_uk

Already posted here:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75430

Ive sent one or two PMs back and forth with steeda tech (presumably in the USA) and theyve suggested that 'something must be twisted'.

Thats about as far as we have got.

It means I have to get back under the car and disassemble things, which is a massive PITA at the moment and something which I quite resent. LOL!

I kind of expect things just to work (and I know they do for a lot of people), but theyre not for me :(
Just commented on your link as I'm having exactly the same issue. Mines been on for two weeks now and it's totally pissing me off. Going back to my installer on Thursday and if he can't work out why it's doing it the piece of shit will be coming off and the stock shifter will be going back on.:mad:

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Just commented on your link as I'm having exactly the same issue. Mines been on for two weeks now and it's totally pissing me off. Going back to my installer on Thursday and if he can't work out why it's doing it the piece of shit will be coming off and the stock shifter will be going back on.:mad:
Very interesting that you are having the same issue, especially if its been installed by a pro garage.

Comments from Steeda welcomed.

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Interested to hear what's wrong with the stock shifter.

Is it because it's a bit truck like?

Have to say that's what I like about my GT, it's a bit working class lol
Sponsored