Sponsored

Huge news - Mustang only manages 2 STAR ANCAP safety rating

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
Well it's on the ANCAP site: https://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-...scores-concerning-2-star-safety-rating-3aaab9

"The Ford Mustang rating is limited to 2 stars due to its poor performance in three of the four areas of assessment – Adult Occupant Protection, Child Occupant Protection and Safety Assist. The poorest performing area of assessment was Safety Assist with the Mustang scoring 2 points out of a possible 12 points (16%)."
Sponsored

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

ICON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic 6MT GT Fastback
Wow! I'm gonna go cancel my order now.... not.
Seriously, if I wanted safety, I'd go buy a Volvo.
My current spec WRX manages a 5 star rating, but to be honest, if you drive the car like how it's meant to be driven and prang it, chances are there's not gonna be a whole world of difference between it scoring no stars and 5 stars.

Copie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
history, though this week’s result stems from new, more stringent testing criteria than many other vehicles tested in earlier years.
Yep so move the goal posts and wonder why the results have changed.

I would like to see just how many 5 star vehicles rate under the new testing scheme, I don't they will achieve much better

davidhes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Ruby Red
It is pretty disappointing to see.. its not going to change anything for me but having a safer car is always nice.. Hope ford does make an effort with future mustangs to improve the safety.

Sponsored

sharks1in50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My gosh, if i only knew before i bought one....haha who cares. If i could afford one i would have bought an Eleanor replica and i wouldnt give 2 craps about how many stars it had so not going to care about my gt either. If you get hit hard enough you are screwed anyway. Motorbikes dont have stars and that doesnt stop people riding them

Tango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT FB - ordered April 12, 2016

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit

I would like to see just how many 5 star vehicles rate under the new testing scheme, I don't they will achieve much better
Well the goal posts may have shifted in terms of safety assist features but there's really no excuse for failing in occupant protection. That stuff hasn't changed since the introduction of airbags.

davidhes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Ruby Red
I know it won't have changed anyone here's decision to buy one but really there is no reason to defend ford. A safer car is not a bad thing when I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to. Hopefully this will encourage them to make changes for future mustangs. And this sort of thing does hurt sales, even if it wouldn't for most of us enthusists. So it's in their best interests to pay attention, even if the goal posts have been moved.

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT

That's right - not fair to make a big deal out of how Mustang fared under a new testing regime without comparisons with other vehicles also tested under the same regime.

Sponsored

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
I guess thats the reason Ford should have provided a Mustang for testing sooner than now.

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
Safety assist is the only 2 star score. The other three pillars of the test are 3, 4, and 5 therefore it gets a 2.

This is really bad media for Ford I must say. The trolls and the media will have a field day.

PPPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
MY17 Mustang GT Auto
Most cars on the road in Australia are therefore 2 or 3 star cars.

The 'car park' is huge, how many cars on the road have lane assist or auto braking ?
Sponsored