Sponsored

Window Tints in NY

andrew9989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange GT
Now that window tinting will be part of the annual inspection, I'm struggling to think of any way around it. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to keep my windows tinted, for both appearance and glare, but it seems like the end is near for us New Yorkers.

Any ideas? Unfortunately, the only diseases that would allow a tint waiver seem difficult to fake :headbonk:

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows
Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I think its a bit dumb but as a tint newbie it seems like the darker tints would make it harder to see out during the night. I would also think a lighter tint would make it look a bit more uniform with the non tinted front windshield.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
I wonder what proof the shop needs to submit with the inspection. Things like emissions aren't escapable because you need to include readings, but most of the other things seem to be subjective...with that, comes the possibility of corruption.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I wonder what proof the shop needs to submit with the inspection. Things like emissions aren't escapable because you need to include readings, but most of the other things seem to be subjective...with that, comes the possibility of corruption.
There are special reader devices that the cops have that they'll likely use. I got my tints this past spring and the guy didn't seem to concerned with it causing problems as long as it's nothing crazy.

I wasn't too sure but I got them to say they'd change it if it caused a problem so I'll dump in on their doorstep if it comes to that.

Otherwise, unless you're within a margin of error (state says 70% must pass but you show 67% they'll probably let it slide), I don't know if they can cheat. Because if you wind up pulled over with tints over the limit, the police can trace your inspection sticker to the shop and unless you have a recent receipt for those tints, that's the shop's ass right there.

I guess it all depends on what they're supposed to report. If it's just a confirmation thing like the other visual inspections, they'll probably pass as long as it's not straight-up limo.

It's nothing more than another bullshit law trying to jack people for no reason along with the original law giving cops a reason to pull somebody over. Figure they're looking for a reason to pull over certain people driving certain types of cars etc. so they get a bullshit reason to do it, and now they can snoop around for other...problems.

If it was truly a safety issue for traffic stops, they'd just make it a law that you have to put down your window and stick your hands on the door. It's not like they can see your hands or if you're holding a gun anyway until they're right next to you, at which point if there's a piece of shit looking to shoot a cop, it's happening tint or not.

Sponsored

OP
OP

andrew9989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it was truly a safety issue for traffic stops, they'd just make it a law that you have to put down your window and stick your hands on the door. It's not like they can see your hands or if you're holding a gun anyway until they're right next to you, at which point if there's a piece of shit looking to shoot a cop, it's happening tint or not.
I know you aren't a politician because that makes too much sense.

70% of light is pretty much what comes from the factory. I currently have 20% on mine and have never been pulled over because of it, but I always knew there was a chance. If shops truly do have to report the percentage, and it doesn't tie to what's on your windows it might not be bad news for the shop. One could always say they put the tint on after the inspection if they get pulled over. It might not be worth all of the potential headaches though.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
^ what he said, I think it'd be very hard to tie it back to the shop. I have 20% on mine with an inspection due in May...soon enough we should start hearing more about the process.

Regardless, my car will have tints on it after the inspection...whether that means they'll have to be reapplied or let through remains to see.

Honestly, I'd be a little more willing to comply if the allowable tint % wasn't absolutely ridiculous. I just don't want to drive around a house on wheels.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I have yet to see the actual wording of the new regulation.
Will there be different percentages for front and rear windows?
I've seen plenty of SUVs right out of the factory with some seriously heavy tint on the rear windows.

eightyeight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I have yet to see the actual wording of the new regulation.
Will there be different percentages for front and rear windows?
I've seen plenty of SUVs right out of the factory with some seriously heavy tint on the rear windows.
in new york the number is 70% light transmittance, below that number is illegal. 70% is very light/no tint. on a 2 door or 4 door all the windows have to be above 70%, for a truck or suv the rears door windows can be as dark as you want

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
Wont stop me from having tints , if they say the tints need to come off in order to pass inspection I'll go somewhere else until I find one who won't care. If that doesn't work it's only the driver and passenger door windows that are enforced. Therefore you remove them , pass inspection and reapply. They sell tint in all auto stores. YouTube how to tint Windows and reapply. Too much positive in having tints way beyond looks , safety in car crashes ( preventing glass from shattering) and privacy of your own personal stuff you leave in your car. I'd rather have someone not sure if I'm in the car rather then approach it and break in while parked. Never been pulled over for tints in NY in 12 years I've been driving and I'm not worried still.

Sponsored

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have no idea what I am going to do. I have 2 cars tinted with 20% So this is going to be interesting. I may just register my cars down In Florida at my fathers house. This way I don't have to deal with any of this shit

sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
if its tinted it fails its that simple now. Factory windows allow %80 VLT that leaves you 10% tint which they dont even make. end off story

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Nothing is that simple. $ talks.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Well i did my first inspection of the year. It is simply a pass/fail by the descretion of the inspector. Just another thing we are to check while inspecting the vehicle. There isn't a section to put the results in or anything, just if the windshield and other windows pass, as with all the other saftey items.

OP
OP

andrew9989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They didn't use a light meter? What percentage of tint do you have?
Sponsored