Sponsored

Struggling for tyres. Ideas?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
As the title suggests, I'm struggling to find tyres for my 20" wheels.
10"front, 11" rear.
"Ideal" tyre size is 285/30/20 front and 305/30/20 rear. The main players in this size are MPSS and Pzero.
Neither hold any appeal for me, not because they aren't great tyres, but because I'll be ripping through them at a fair rate. Not my fault, I was born this way.

It seems that there's a tonne of options in the US but very few in Aus.
Has anyone managed to find a "middle ground" tyre in these sizes?

Is anyone else having a similar issue?
Is there any interest in importing?

The nearest thing I can find that represents value for money is the Kumho PS91 265/35/20 and 295/30/20. Not a bad tyre but the 30mm stagger has me concerned about understeer.

Anyone?
Sponsored

OaG_sGm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 6-speed Manual AUS
Have you tried Costco?

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

05STNG

05 STNG
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
DIB Fastback V8 Manual
Tyres

As the title suggests, I'm struggling to find tyres for my 20" wheels.
10"front, 11" rear.
"Ideal" tyre size is 285/30/20 front and 305/30/20 rear. The main players in this size are MPSS and Pzero.
Neither hold any appeal for me, not because they aren't great tyres, but because I'll be ripping through them at a fair rate. Not my fault, I was born this way.

It seems that there's a tonne of options in the US but very few in Aus.
Has anyone managed to find a "middle ground" tyre in these sizes?

Is anyone else having a similar issue?
Is there any interest in importing?

The nearest thing I can find that represents value for money is the Kumho PS91 265/35/20 and 295/30/20. Not a bad tyre but the 30mm stagger has me concerned about understeer.

Anyone?
Hi Burkey
I put yokohama on mine. 275/30/20 fronts & 305/30/20 rears, Advan Sport V105. They also do a 285/30/20.

I'm not a fan of Wheels magazine but they voted 'Best Tyre' in the Wheels Tyre Test 2015. I love there grip in all conditions

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Burkey
I put yokohama on mine. 275/30/20 fronts & 305/30/20 rears, Advan Sport V105. They also do a 285/30/20.

I'm not a fan of Wheels magazine but they voted 'Best Tyre' in the Wheels Tyre Test 2015. I love there grip in all conditions
Thanks Simon. I don't know why these have t shown up in any of my searches..
I'll look into it. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Why not a 35 aspect tire?

28940924304_5770be6858_b.jpg

[MENTION=21494]wildcatgoal[/MENTION]
That pic is EXACTLY what I'm looking for in terms of sidewall. No stretch, no bulge, SPOT ON. :thumbsup:
The tyres in that pic, are they 275/35/20 305/35/20?
How are you liking the Cooper tyre?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yes.

30 aspect tire is going to ride rough as hell. Especially with Kangaroos roaming about - running over their poops and all. ;)

I like the Cooper RS3-S (same as Mickey Thompson Street Comp, although some say the MT has a softer compound... yet same treadwear??... I dunno). It handles nicely for all the usual situations. Wouldn't be my first choice for a track. Grip is okay with no tune/no boost at the drag strip - gets the usual times you'd get on 20" wheels and no tune (with a better drag driver than me behind the wheel, specifically).

Given you have a SC - it'd be a great street tire but you will eat these up off the line in a drag race. They don't "get better when they're hot" but they do seem to last for-freakin-ever. I've run with significant camber, drag strips, auto cross ... still going strong probably 10K miles. Made in China, though, if you care.

It's the best value summer tire for a non-tracked car, IMHO.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes.

30 aspect tire is going to ride rough as hell. Especially with Kangaroos roaming about - running over their poops and all. ;)

I like the Cooper RS3-S (same as Mickey Thompson Street Comp, although some say the MT has a softer compound... yet same treadwear??... I dunno). It handles nicely for all the usual situations. Wouldn't be my first choice for a track. Grip is okay with no tune/no boost at the drag strip - gets the usual times you'd get on 20" wheels and no tune (with a better drag driver than me behind the wheel, specifically).

Given you have a SC - it'd be a great street tire but you will eat these up off the line in a drag race. They don't "get better when they're hot" but they do seem to last for-freakin-ever. I've run with significant camber, drag strips, auto cross ... still going strong probably 10K miles. Made in China, though, if you care.

It's the best value summer tire for a non-tracked car, IMHO.
Thanks for the info. They don't have the rear tyre available in Australia as yet.
Also seems that we get screwed here a little because our minimum ratings are 96y and 101y. I'm guessing you guys have lower minimums due,to base spec car availability/winter tyres etc?

05STNG

05 STNG
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
DIB Fastback V8 Manual
The 30 profile do not ride as rough as hell
I have H&R progressive springs where the springs to a lot of the work. I would actually say my ride now compared to stock tyres and springs is far better, but each to their own. Dont forget the side wall is a ratio of the tread width

Sponsored
OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=21494]wildcatgoal[/MENTION]
I found some BF Goodrich tyres (G Force Comp 2 AS) in 285/35/20 and 305/35/20
Load ratings and speed ratings are absolutely spot on and treadwear rate is 400
I'm thinking these will be ideal for a bloke that doesn't want to be swapping out tyres at every 5,000km (3000miles) as I'm currently on track to do...
Do you know much about these?
I realise they won't be in the same league as an MPSS or Pzero in terms of outright grip, but I think they could be a hell of a lot more fun.
Priced at $680 USD for the set.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
I looked at Michelin MPSS for my stock wheels, but in Australia I cant get 40 aspect front and rear in MPSS, only rears (I think). If I go 35 aspect it may look silly on stock wheels with the car not lowered. I don't know what to go for after the Pzero's wear out.

OP
OP
Burkey

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at Michelin MPSS for my stock wheels, but in Australia I cant get 40 aspect front and rear in MPSS, only rears (I think). If I go 35 aspect it may look silly on stock wheels with the car not lowered. I don't know what to go for after the Pzero's wear out.
Depends what you're looking for in a tyre Paul. Do you want something with similar grip level? Are you more concerned about mileage?
Or, are you a maniac and just want something that you can afford to replace fairly frequently?
Sponsored