Full Alcantara headliner

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
I did the full headliner and side pieces in Alcantara. The real stuff had to order it from overseas and its the same exact color code as the factory interior pieces.

I had sound skins sound dampener applied to the roof. Thats a foam product and lightweight.

I always loved the interior of the Porsche GT3 RS so thats why I did it and also cause I hate hard plastic. The visors are an identical match and took 5hrs per to compete including the hand stitching. They were stripped bare and rebuild from scratch.

Hope you enjoy the pics more to come (track pack seats and ford RSD)
IMG_0074.jpg
IMG_0102.jpg
IMG_0103.jpg

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Quality looks great...lovely hand stitching on the visors.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Know what I want - the A-pillars done in leather. The plastic they use on those is awful.

Nice work!

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Wow, this is amazing. Would you mind giving a bit more details as to what's involved as far as the install and the cost? I might be interested.

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
That looks awesome!

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
If I were to tackle that it would turn out looking like a Kindergarten project as far as the stitching. Awesome job sir :thumbsup:

Deca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
quality stuff! did yourself?

OP
OP

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
To answer some questions.

I pulled the headliner myself it wasn't hard at all. The dome lights pull out just by pulling down. behind it are 2 metal clips which hold the headliner. The A-pillar I just popped off and moved to the side didn't remove. The visors have T15 torxs screws to the holding bracket the hinge side is just a plastic cover than that pops of it wedges the metal clip which spreads to fasten.

The side quarter panels you have to remove the seat buckle on the b-pillars T45 torxs . Rear bottom seat just pops off and the side panels pop out. Once there the c panel pops off there is a retaining strap so it doesn't go flying if the side airbag deploys. Same for the b/c pillar plastic trim.

The rear of the headliner has a magnet on either side pull down and the headliner drops. Back in the front passenger side there are 2 plugs from the a pillar which you disconnect now the headliner is free.

Both seat go all the way back and back rest leaned all the way back you wedge the headliner out through the passenger door. Careful not to crease the headliner its very thin fiberglass backing can crack you will also crease the foam and it will have a permanent wrinkle. The headliner comes out and its to the millimeter squeezing it out the passenger door so have patience.

The fiberglass backing is too thin to try to pull off the old material so you will put the alcantara over the factor headliner material so the alcantara you order will not have a backing. I sourced mine from JPM coachworks other business JPM supply company took about 4 days to get I ordered 3 yards I was told it can be done in 2. The color code in the catalog is 9002 Charcoal make sure you get the "panel" which has no backing. When it arrives the receipt will say 9902 which is the actual material part number its correct don't freak out.

The shop I used works on Ferrari restorations and alfa romero's called
The Tin Lizzie Affair 13350 Floyd Cir, Dallas, Tx 75243, Dallas, TX 75243 (972) 234-3791. If you google them they do some high end stuff they were reupholstering a classic ferarri 246 GT dino seats and repairing seats on a 458 that was stolen so I knew I was in good hands

As far as cost I know Lucinda the owner and was only charged a 3rd the normal for labor it came out to 3-4 hundred. The material cost was the same.

The soundskiz sound dampener on the roof and they also put back the headliner for me was less than 200 bucks at Soundscape car audio they were just rated the 2nd best shop in the country also located near Dallas. The cardboard pad you see in the pics below was left in its glued in there good and removing would have warped and dented the roofs sheetmetal.

The doors are factory as is the a-pillars. I'm doing a full stereo build in the future so I've order new a-pillar so there was no sense in covering them at this time.

A few pics with the headliner out took less than an hour to remove everything this was my first time working on something like this but I am mechanical inclined.
IMG_0038.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg

OP
OP

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
Very nice, did you cover the doors?
No doors are factory as of now but are out of the car. The door handle surround is being painted avalanche grey to match the center console I painted. I hate the plastic on the door but there is a sloping design line thats in the way. I may need to add a different design to be able to cover it something like the cadillac ATS-V which also has a design line sloping to the rear. I'm using that car as a reference I've order a matte carbon dash trim set the caddy seats are the same as the GT350 track pack seats just trimmed out differently and power. I just bought some take out GT350 seats. The seats won't swap between the caddy and GT350 as the bases are integrated into the seat bottom frame and are completely different. The foam and upholstery will transfer over however you will loose the bottom side bolstering as the ATS-V is based on the comfort recaro sportster and the GT350 the regular sportster seat but in a OEM design.

http://www.milesperhr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2016-cadillac-ats-v-open-door-800x533-c.jpg

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Nice job, really gives it a nice look.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
this looks great man. nice work. on a side note i am having some trouble with the trim piece above the rear 1/4 window. the section near the front of the car will not "snap in." any tips for reinstalling it properly. much thanks.

abhele

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R
can you share a link to the materials used. looks awsome!

OP
OP

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
this looks great man. nice work. on a side note i am having some trouble with the trim piece above the rear 1/4 window. the section near the front of the car will not "snap in." any tips for reinstalling it properly. much thanks.
Snap the tabs at the bottom first since those are really slots. The top are more like clips and snap in so do the hard one first on the bottom. Don't use your thumb rather your palm so put pressure on the panel once lined up than tap with the base of your palm to distribute the pressure equally over a wider area to avoid damage.