Whipple belt chirp

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
That's awesome to hear. Those guys do great work and are truly tireless at getting any issue fixed.
Thanks...Yeah, really happy with their customer service which is top notch!
Sponsored

Jonspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Questions, im currently on the 3.7 pulley and will be going down to 3.625. I ordered an ATI balancer w/ 20% Over drive and got the smaller water pump pulley as well.

Will the balancer be encroaching onto the tensioner or cause and issues with location the tensioner is in currently. To me they look awfully close and since i had to get a smaller water pump pulley im not sure if itll touch/bump to the tensioner??

And what belt number do I need for the 20% OD balancer and new 3.625 pulley?

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
So I've been getting some belt noise in the colder weather and the stock tensioner. Normally, it would go away after a few minutes of driving, however now it has progressed to a combination of chirping and clicking/clacking that doesn't go away. Whipple just sent me a new tensioner and I'm having it installed Tuesday at the dealer that did the original install.

I was just curious if the noise I'm experiencing is what you guys have been hearing. Just posted a quick video from my cell phone to youtube. Can you guys check it out and chime in?

[ame]

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
So I've been getting some belt noise in the colder weather and the stock tensioner. Normally, it would go away after a few minutes of driving, however now it has progressed to a combination of chirping and clicking/clacking that doesn't go away. Whipple just sent me a new tensioner and I'm having it installed Tuesday at the dealer that did the original install.

I was just curious if the noise I'm experiencing is what you guys have been hearing. Just posted a quick video from my cell phone to youtube. Can you guys check it out and chime in?

Was the engine just started and running at higher rpm? My "chirp" sounded like a tapping sound but not that fast or that loud.

This is what mine sounded like - http://vid1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah301/PonyManFl/IMG_2881_zpsamaepiqd.mp4

Last edited:

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

first thing I would do is check to see that the 4 supercharger pulley bolts are tight and the 3 water pump bolts. I would the remove the belt and start the car for a quick few seconds to verify the noise is gone if it's gone shut the engine off and rotate all the pulleys by hand to make sure everything is tight and running smoothly. If the noise doesn't go away with the belt off I would suspect something wrong inside the timing cover tensioner or phaser.

Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
first thing I would do is check to see that the 4 supercharger pulley bolts are tight and the 3 water pump bolts. I would the remove the belt and start the car for a quick few seconds to verify the noise is gone if it's gone shut the engine off and rotate all the pulleys by hand to make sure everything is tight and running smoothly. If the noise doesn't go away with the belt off I would suspect something wrong inside the timing cover tensioner or phaser.
Sounds like a good plan. Thank you!

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
I was at idle around 800 rpm ...thank you for sharing your video. Did the new tensioner fix the issue for you?
Yes, I installed the new tensioner last week and no more chirp since then.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Just installed the new tensioner and replaced one of the pulleys that had what I consider excessive play. No sqeuak as of now. I really haven't been under the hood in a while. Wow there was a lot of rubber dust everywhere from the belts. It's caked into all of the pulleys. Going to take some work to get that all cleaned up.

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Well, I started up my car today and to my surprise the belt chirp has returned. Only put on about 200 miles on the car since installing the billet tensioner which did get rid on the chirp initially. After hearing the chirp I decided to remove the tensioner to verify everything was okay with it and nothing became loose, all was good there. I then decided to reverse the belt which has solved the issue for some but this only made the chirp worse. I was still running the original long belt so I then decided to install the short belt with the new routing path and that seemed to work. There is no more chirp and everything seems okay except for where the belt rides on the pulley directly above the tensioner. The belt looks like it is riding further in towards the engine compared to how it ran before. The belt does not overhang the pulley but is running flush to the pulley's edge on the engine side. I'm not sure if this will become an issue down the road. I ran the engine for a while gave it a few good rev's and everything seemed fine.

Link to chirp video - this was after reversing the belt:
http://vid1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah301/PonyManFl/IMG_3301_zpshbx8fb0j.mp4

Picture of new short belt showing where it is riding on pulley:

Last edited:

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Whipple has some shorter stands that you can try to use to align the bracket better. The reason the belt rides on the back side of that idler with the short routing is due to it not being guided by the lower part of the w/p pulley. I don't know why you would have a belt squeak with the new tensioner.

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
Whipple has some shorter stands that you can try to use to align the bracket better. The reason the belt rides on the back side of that idler with the short routing is due to it not being guided by the lower part of the w/p pulley. I don't know why you would have a belt squeak with the new tensioner.
Yeah, I'm not sure why it returned either. I was very surprised....

Thanks for the info on the stands, I will look into it.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Well, I started up my car today and to my surprise the belt chirp has returned. Only put on about 200 miles on the car since installing the billet tensioner which did get rid on the chirp initially. After hearing the chirp I decided to remove the tensioner to verify everything was okay with it and nothing became loose, all was good there. I then decided to reverse the belt which has solved the issue for some but this only made the chirp worse. I was still running the original long belt so I then decided to install the short belt with the new routing path and that seemed to work. There is no more chirp and everything seems okay except for where the belt rides on the pulley directly above the tensioner. The belt looks like it is riding further in towards the engine compared to how it ran before. The belt does not overhang the pulley but is running flush to the pulley's edge on the engine side. I'm not sure if this will become an issue down the road. I ran the engine for a while gave it a few good rev's and everything seemed fine.

Link to chirp video - this was after reversing the belt:
http://vid1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah301/PonyManFl/IMG_3301_zpshbx8fb0j.mp4

Picture of new short belt showing where it is riding on pulley:
Sounds like you need the new idler plate stands. I would call Whipple and they should send them for free. A friend just had the belt noise come back with the new tensioner and idler and Whipple is now sending him the new stands.

I changed everything at once new billet tensioner, new idlers and new idler plate stands. I however have only had idle time on it in the garage a couple times die to winter hibernation. I'll be in the wild in a couple weeks and will report back.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Another thing you might want to look at is the surface of those idlers, hard to tell from the pic's but they look pretty worn.

ALLKHEINZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
anyone know if the S197 kit has the same chirping issue? has whipple updated the kits now to include the parts that fix the noises like the spacers and tensioner etc etc....im looking into a 2.9 kit for a 2014 mustang and all this belt chirp and squeaking noises has me contemplating a VMP Gen2R when i wasnt really considering one at all...
Sponsored