Sponsored

GT350 shifter from MGW almost here...

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
He is a survey question, What type of lift did you use to install your MGW shifter.

Jack stands two

Jack stands four

Ramps

four post lift

two post lift

Maybe we can find a correlation between NVH and how the car is jacked up? Even if you have no NVH chime in.
Sponsored

kart125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350/2008 Saab TurboX SC
He is a survey question, What type of lift did you use to install your MGW shifter.

Jack stands two

Jack stands four

Ramps

four post lift

two post lift

Maybe we can find a correlation between NVH and how the car is jacked up? Even if you have no NVH chime in.
4 jack stands... no vibrations yet... but I haven't driven the car since install! Getting out of hibernation april 1st if mother nature wants me to!

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I got my shifter installed and had it out on the track yesterday. The track day was just an instructor clinic that entailed role playing, so there wasn't any hard driving. My initial impressions are the shifter is crisp and precise. Navigating the 2, 3, 4, 5 region where you spend the majority of your time was stellar! The 5-4 downshift is spectacular, as is the 4-3 downshift. The primary reason I got the shifter was to make the 5-4 downshift more precise. As my OEM shifter broke in last year with some track days, I found myself having a difficult time finding 4th in the 5-4 dowshift.

I was surprised how much the MGW shifter "broke in" with a bit of use. Right out of the box it can feel a little sticky or stiff, which is most noticeable in the 3-2 downshift or the 5-6 upshift...and also getting into reverse. However, after just a bit of use these areas of stiction quickly began to free up. Given my experience thus far, I expect the experience between all gates to be nearly identical with a few track days of use.

The best analogy I can make is it reminds me of my Glock. I have put thousands upon thousands of rounds through it over many years, in some pretty nasty conditions, and it is bulletproof. Although a little sticky when new it quickly becomes easy to manipulate and quickly becomes an extension of your hand. I expect the same from this shifter.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Guys,

How many inches exactly does the transmission have to be lowered to be in "neutral position", as in hanging in the air before being raised?

Also, when you raise the transmission, how much do you raise, as in how much is it lowered while the shifter is being installed?

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Guys,

How many inches exactly does the transmission have to be lowered to be in "neutral position", as in hanging in the air before being raised?

Also, when you raise the transmission, how much do you raise, as in how much is it lowered while the shifter is being installed?
Again over thinking.

Do not think, just do.

Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Again over thinking.

Do not think, just do.
Really?

I have a 4 post lift and a rolling jack. The rolling jack naturally has the issue that it cannot go lower than where the runways are. That means at the maximum I can lower the transmission by about 2-3 inches due to the exhaust pipes being in the way. I realized this today while I was under the car.

I dont want to go through the install and halfway through realize I should have bought a transmission jack, so I thought I would ask.

You still think I am overthinking?:) How about just help me out?

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Really?

I have a 4 post lift and a rolling jack. The rolling jack naturally has the issue that it cannot go lower than where the runways are. That means at the maximum I can lower the transmission by about 2-3 inches due to the exhaust pipes being in the way. I realized this today while I was under the car.

I dont want to go through the install and halfway through realize I should have bought a transmission jack, so I thought I would ask.

You still think I am overthinking?:) How about just help me out?
How many people do you think got out a tape measure and measured "exactly" how far they dropped their transmission?

Better yet, why don't you go through the steps of figuring it out and report back on your findings?

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
How many people do you think got out a tape measure and measured "exactly" how far they dropped their transmission?

Better yet, why don't you go through the steps of figuring it out and report back on your findings?
Who knows maybe someone like me did measure it!:)

Its a valid concern though because at that point of the installation if I realize I cannot drop it enough, then I m kaput because the car has no shifter and I ll be without a car until I find a transmission jack (HF here didnt have one so Amazon is best bet). Sure, its not the end of the world though:)

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I did this shit 5 times, 3 s550s and 2 GT350s.

On a quickjack with a standard jack under the trans

Easy peezy

People with half a brain are doing this install without an issue but you are still having trouble because you have zero confidence in yourself.

You don't see George at MGW with a friggin tape measure. Watch it again, if you still have questions watch it 3 more times.

I could have done this on race ramps with a scissor jack.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who knows maybe someone like me did measure it!:)
Technically if they were like you they wouldn't have measured it because they were on the forum asking someone else to do it for them

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ok, ok... Calm down. This is a good thread, lets keep it that way. I had absolutely no intention to come here and get this reaction.

Doing it on jack stands or quickjack doesnt mean I wont have a problem. With a quickjack you have 20-24" under the trans minus a floor jack (on average 3-4" clearance), you are looking at minimum 16" of room to lower the transmission. I only have 3. I'm sure you know how rolling jacks and 4 post lifts work. Essentially the crossbar of the rolling jack is 3" from the exhaust pipes.

This would be like you trying to do this install with 4" floor jack + 3" of my clearance = 7" from the floor.

I am not overthinking this:) Before you shoot me down, just take a step back and try and understand my situation.

This is also not like me being lazy and not measuring it myself. You cannot lower the transmission without disconnecting the linkage arm right? I cant just go under there and figure it out on my own without going through the install.

But please dont crucify me for this one.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, ok... Calm down. This is a good thread, lets keep it that way. I had absolutely no intention to come here and get this reaction.

Doing it on jack stands or quickjack doesnt mean I wont have a problem. With a quickjack you have 20-24" under the trans minus a floor jack (on average 3-4" clearance), you are looking at minimum 16" of room to lower the transmission. I only have 3. I'm sure you know how rolling jacks and 4 post lifts work. Essentially the crossbar of the rolling jack is 3" from the exhaust pipes.

This would be like you trying to do this install with 4" floor jack + 3" of my clearance = 7" from the floor.

I am not overthinking this:) Before you shoot me down, just take a step back and try and understand my situation.

This is also not like me being lazy and not measuring it myself. You cannot lower the transmission without disconnecting the linkage arm right? I cant just go under there and figure it out on my own without going through the install.

You are right i didn't think about that, I think you are SOL unfortunately.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
is this at a shop or at your house?

If so you should have one of these.

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200641733_200641733?hotline=false

The transmission jack I though you were talking about is a low one.

With a 4 post this is what you need.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Lift the car. Slide a floor jack on the floor under the point you'd like to raise the transmission from. Measure from the lift point on the floor jack to the trans. Deduct ~6". Cut a 2x4 or 4x4 to that length. Use what you just cut to raise and lower the trans into position.

Done.
Sponsored