Mustang GT550 2018

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Anybody starting to get small grit like marks down low on the area between the front of the rear wheel arch and the end of the door on both sides?
Mine feel smooth and a clay bar seems to have no effect. I can only assume that it is grit thrown forward off the outside edges of the rear tyres?

Any suggestions
Thanks

w0rt3x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT Fastback Manual Ruby Red
I can see a few tiny ones on one side too

Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I still have zero stone chips - the PPF works really well, especially the sections covering the front of the rear wheel arches.

davidhes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Ruby Red
David (or anyone else), did you get this?
I haven't got one yet but I will likely get one soon. Have a couple of stone chips.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
I took the car into a car painter today who does a lot of work for the local Ford dealer.
They worked out that the problem is minute particles of grit etc coming off the front tyres, flowing along the side of the car and striking the area where the flares start for the rear wheel arches.
Apparently mudflaps on the front are the answer.
Also spoke to a NZ forum member tonite who said he had a similar problem with his Falcon so bought RPI mudflaps for his Mustang before it even got here last year
Mystery apparently solved !

Here's hoping

V8KOOP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback Competition Orange manual
Yep, I have about 4, including one on the boot! Have bought a bottle from the dealer, and planned to use a toothpick as noted in one of the comments previously, might do some tests on a blank surface first. One of the pitfalls of having a Mustang as a daily driver. My colour is CO.

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
I rather enjoy this blokes videos. Here's one on stone chip repair. The method certainly isn't for everyone but he gets results.

[ame]

Sponsored

peterdee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Mustang GT
So has anyone used the Dr Colorchip product? I have a chip on the bonnet, and have purchased it but haven't had an opportunity to apply it yet.

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
So has anyone used the Dr Colorchip product? I have a chip on the bonnet, and have purchased it but haven't had an opportunity to apply it yet.
Yes. I have used it on 4 chips (including the bonnet). The chip is now level to feel, but the ruby red (in my case) does not absolutely block out the light coloured primer. Having said that, I have trouble finding these chips and other people have little hope of noticing them. It takes 2 or 3 applications to get the chip level.

peterdee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Mustang GT
Yes. I have used it on 4 chips (including the bonnet). The chip is now level to feel, but the ruby red (in my case) does not absolutely block out the light coloured primer. Having said that, I have trouble finding these chips and other people have little hope of noticing them. It takes 2 or 3 applications to get the chip level.
How did you apply it? Did you use the smear method they show in the videos? I am a little apprehensive doing it like that..

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
Its OK to use the smear process as the levelling compound cuts it away to the clear coat on your car. It won't hurt your clear coat. You have (if I remember correctly) about an hour to start rubbing with the levelling solution. Yes I use it.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I still have zero stone chips
Jinxed myself. :rant:

Copped a rock from a truck going in the opposite direction through some roadworks in the rain a few days ago - could see it coming for me but could do absolutely nothing about it.

Made one hell of a thud when it hit. Got home and couldn't see anything because of the water droplets - all was revealed once it dried off.

Only a small chip at the top of the rear driver's side wheel arch and thankfully no dent. Stands out like a sore thumb mainly because I keep looking at it.

Dr Colorchip looks like the best option at this stage.
Sponsored