Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
If they do make a Mach 1 i hope its' over 500hp I'd like the TQ to be 490 or so
That would put it too close to the GT350.

I think a 5.0 with gt350 IM and CAI +tune around 470hp is the sweetspot
Sponsored

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
Meanwhile, Ford engineers are "testing" the car.
Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 6.19.10 PM.png

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Keeping it simple this Gen I think...

GT
GT350
GT500

I think Mach 1 was the internal name for a Supercharged Coyote. If that is the case, it is possible that a Mach 1 remains a GT package.

With the screaming sucess of the GT350 and the GT500's birthday coming next year, the Mach 1 might not be a separate model. The Mustang doesn't have a parts bin model yet other than the EBPP...

Just as the GT will adopt the GT350's equipment to become a possible Mustang GTR, same could happen here. Once the GT500 is established, roll out a Mach 1 and sell parts. Who knows, maybe there is enough space between the GT and GT350... but probably not.

The only opening left in the lineup is above the $56k (GT500) and in between the GT and GT350. It will be a GT package and I am fine with that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
That would put it too close to the GT350.

This would be a good point except that the GT350 will be gone by the time the Mach1 arrives...

And it will arrive along side the new (twin turbo) GT500 which should be a ~700hp monster (just guessing that they wouldn't be outdone by the 2013/14 model), leaving the option of a 500hp Mach1 pretty believable.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
This would be a good point except that the GT350 will be gone by the time the Mach1 arrives...
This is my thinking, too.

'18MY
Revised V6/Ecoboost/GT

'18.5MY
Mach 1 (n/a tweaked 475hp 5.0 with mag ride/switchable exhaust as standard)

'19MY
GT500 (TT/Supercharged 700+hp monster)

At least, I hope so.....

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is my thinking, too.

'18MY
Revised V6/Ecoboost/GT

'18.5MY
Mach 1 (n/a tweaked 475hp 5.0 with mag ride/switchable exhaust as standard)

'19MY
GT500 (TT/Supercharged 700+hp monster)

At least, I hope so.....
I would be completely non-surprised if your predictions proved to be exactly correct.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The Voodoo engine isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable, competitive future of the Mustang. The FPC V8 could be downsized to 4.7/5.0 after DI comes... which would end the Voodoo... but only by name. The Voodoo could evolve into another program like the Condor/Trinity.

So, the Voodoo will go away but not for a Mach 1. It will give way to an improved Voodoo (5.4 Condor to the 5.8 Trinity). Right now, Ford has the NA V8 market by the b@lls. No LS7 has ever ran better and that isn't going anywhere.

A Supercharged Coyote is a Mach 1, a Voodoo 2 will have DI and possibly a smaller displacement (289) and the GT500 will be a Bi-Turbo V8 using both BMW's BiT setup with Twin Scrolling technology like the Focus RS has. Similar to the Audi 4.0.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I'm going to be honest...

The camaro hasn't had a large enough impact for immediate GT work. If the SS truly devastated the GT then perhaps the R Package and Mach 1 would be GT bound.

With the little fizzle splat the camaro just did, I believe Ford will rely on these things to pull ahead again... for the lowest dollar.

1.) The A10 option in the GT. This right here could be enough...

2.) The Ford Power Packages and Port Direct Injection incoming. The Coyote has many, many tricks up its sleeves... PTWA being another trick incoming.

3.) 2018-'19 Refresh... game over.

4.) GT500 cometh...

I think the Mach 1 Package will fit in very, very nicely with the Ford Performance Power Packs. As does the R Package equipment.

Is there a market for a 625-650hp SC Mach 1? Adding $20,000 onto a GT is around $53,000...

There are 12 models coming before 2020

6 have been shown already, then the
GT500/GT500KR
EBV8 Raptor
Lighting
Bronco

Cobra Roadster (please)
...and???

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Voodoo engine isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable, competitive future of the Mustang. The FPC V8 could be downsized to 4.7/5.0 after DI comes... which would end the Voodoo... but only by name. The Voodoo could evolve into another program like the Condor/Trinity.

So, the Voodoo will go away but not for a Mach 1. It will give way to an improved Voodoo (5.4 Condor to the 5.8 Trinity). Right now, Ford has the NA V8 market by the b@lls. No LS7 has ever ran better and that isn't going anywhere.

A Supercharged Coyote is a Mach 1, a Voodoo 2 will have DI and possibly a smaller displacement (289) and the GT500 will be a Bi-Turbo V8 using both BMW's BiT setup with Twin Scrolling technology like the Focus RS has. Similar to the Audi 4.0.
I'm going to be honest...

The camaro hasn't had a large enough impact for immediate GT work. If the SS truly devastated the GT then perhaps the R Package and Mach 1 would be GT bound.

With the little fizzle splat the camaro just did, I believe Ford will rely on these things to pull ahead again... for the lowest dollar.

1.) The A10 option in the GT. This right here could be enough...

2.) The Ford Power Packages and Port Direct Injection incoming. The Coyote has many, many tricks up its sleeves... PTWA being another trick incoming.

3.) 2018-'19 Refresh... game over.

4.) GT500 cometh...

I think the Mach 1 Package will fit in very, very nicely with the Ford Performance Power Packs. As does the R Package equipment.

Is there a market for a 625-650hp SC Mach 1? Adding $20,000 onto a GT is around $53,000...

There are 12 models coming before 2020

6 have been shown already, then the
GT500/GT500KR
EBV8 Raptor
Lighting
Bronco

Cobra Roadster (please)
...and???
Pill,
Interesting and very specific information. Are you hearing this somewhere or are these just your educated guesses?

While a lot of that sounds great, I hope that the Mach1 isn't a premium priced model like the GT350 (mid 50k range...? :( ) but rather something like the 2003 Mach1 which was just a notch above the standard GT.

Also, I encourage you to drive a Camaro SS if you haven't already. While it's not necessarily a better car than a Mustang GT, the performance is in a different league. That LT-1 is stunning. In terms of performance, the Mustang GT is way behind.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
If they do a Mach 1 I'm pretty sure it'll either just be a package for the regular GT beyond the Performance Package, or be a "limited edition" submodel like the previous Mach 1 and Bullitt. Slightly changed but still mostly just a regular GT. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Mach 1 was just a dress-up package with a cool hood, stripes, wheels and a spoiler. Maybe a more aggressive exhaust and/or intake taken from the Ford Performance packs and that's it. Price it between 40-50k and it'll do great and won't step on any toes in the Mustang lineup. There's a huge gap between a loaded GTPP and a Shelby where having a car in the middle would make sense.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
In my mind, the timing of the recently announced "power packs" is a little odd (although I'm sure it makes sense in Ford's long term plans.....it's just a pity we're not aware of what they are ;) ). I think most of us are expecting the Coyote to have a bump in power for '18MY, whether this be by dual port injection or other means......but I would hope for 450-460hp......pretty similar to what's now available via those power packs.

My initial thoughts for the Mach 1 (assuming it's still coming....or ever was!) would be a n/a version of whatever powers the forthcoming GT500. This would mirror what the previous (SN95) Mach 1 featured......the quad-cam V8 minus the Terminators blower.

For me, that would ideally be a 5.2 CPC, but I wonder what sort of HP that would put out? 475? Perhaps more if it adopts any or all of the changes the 5.0 receives for '18.

If there is a Mach 1, I do hope it's more than just an appearance package. Ford hit it out of the park for GT350, I hope they can do justice to the Mach 1 name :)

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
In my mind, the timing of the recently announced "power packs" is a little odd (although I'm sure it makes sense in Ford's long term plans.....it's just a pity we're not aware of what they are ;) ). I think most of us are expecting the Coyote to have a bump in power for '18MY, whether this be by dual port injection or other means......but I would hope for 450-460hp......pretty similar to what's now available via those power packs.

My initial thoughts for the Mach 1 (assuming it's still coming....or ever was!) would be a n/a version of whatever powers the forthcoming GT500. This would mirror what the previous (SN95) Mach 1 featured......the quad-cam V8 minus the Terminators blower.

For me, that would ideally be a 5.2 CPC, but I wonder what sort of HP that would put out? 475? Perhaps more if it adopts any or all of the changes the 5.0 receives for '18.

If there is a Mach 1, I do hope it's more than just an appearance package. Ford hit it out of the park for GT350, I hope they can do justice to the Mach 1 name :)
I CAN see Ford making a CPC 5.2 with the voodoo intake manifold as a special Mach 1 only engine. 500hp, 7500rpm. This can only happen if the voodoo takes a break and the Gt350 finishes its run.

Meanwhile the 2018 GT recieved dual fuel injection, the MACH will stay port and allow some parts to be cleared out and claim a special one off engine (seems to be all the rage).
Sponsored