GT350 active exhaust to GT

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible PP
Has anyone done this?
Would it bolt on to a convertible?

Just poking at a alternative to the Roush system.
Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
There is no kit for a full active exhaust but there is a Ford Performance set-up that gives you the X-pipe, mufflers, and rear valence. Further, the "active" part of the GT350's exhaust is tied into the driving modes in that car, so there would have to be custom work to wire some sort of manual switch to the exhaust valve units.

OP
OP
invaliduser

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea I was hoping it could wire into the driving modes since I have the modes too in the GT Premium

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Where are the baffles located for the driving modes on the 350 anyway? Inside the muffler tips like the roush setup?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea I was hoping it could wire into the driving modes since I have the modes too in the GT Premium
I suspect that would be a project since those switches access software tables. You'd have to do a bit more than just wiring, I suspect.

Sponsored

aschaefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
There is no kit for a full active exhaust but there is a Ford Performance set-up that gives you the X-pipe, mufflers, and rear valence. Further, the "active" part of the GT350's exhaust is tied into the driving modes in that car, so there would have to be custom work to wire some sort of manual switch to the exhaust valve units.
Wouldn't even be too hard to wire up a microcontroller to activate exhaust modes based on driving mode in the GT, depending on what sort of signals you can get from the ECU or whatever regarding driving mode.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wouldn't even be too hard to wire up a microcontroller to activate exhaust modes based on driving mode in the GT, depending on what sort of signals you can get from the ECU or whatever regarding driving mode.
And that indeed would be the trick! A project for someone I'd say...

OP
OP
invaliduser

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now I suppose the other question I should ask is what does that system cost and is it worth looking at vs the Roush.
I'd only like the GT350 system if it could integrate cleanly. I'm not too much of a fan of the Roush white switch.

aschaefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
And that indeed would be the trick! A project for someone I'd say...
I'll see what I can do once I get my car. I've got a couple Arduinos laying around that I could play with, my only problem is that I lack the fab equipment to put the butterfly valves in the piping. My money is probably better spent elsewhere (headers, catback, other mods that I don't already have) though.

Sponsored

Ominous1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Shadow Black GT PP
So the valve is tied into driving modes ON the GT350, but as far as the GT is concerned, it's just piping.Why not just wire the valve to a 2pos switch inside the cabin? The valve does not care about the mode, it's either open or closed.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Someone on Facebook did it; I think with some remote rigged up.

The question would be why. The stock GT350 system is still a stock resonated exhaust, and the 5.2 is a LOT louder than the 5.0 through the same system because of how it revs high; just like why the 5.0 catbacks scream it higher RPMs and nearly silent at idle, the RPMs.

The 350 OEM exhaust in the 5.0 wont be nearly as loud as the in the 350 is my guess (the Facebook guy had headers and no before video so hard to tell).

I would venture to guess its very similar to the FRRP sport; and it'll be thousands to retrofit it on their plus the 350 valence. Mine as well do the FRRP catback and valence for $2k and be done with it.

Ominous1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Shadow Black GT PP
I understand the engine plays a huge part in tone/volume. I've already got my FRPP X Pipe on its way, and I can get the gt350 exhaust for cheap. The GT sport exhaust (mufflers) are over 1000 Canadian so if they are in fact the sport muffler, I will get a better sound even with the valve closed. With them open, it will be straight pipe. Loud. Lol. I'm very capable of doing all my own work so I will prolly save over half of the cost of a Roush or FRPP.