Sponsored

My prediction for the engine

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Ford has said the FPC is exclusive to the GT350.

FPC's have problems that are inherent to the design that CPC's wouldn't.

It would be a fairly simple process for Ford to put a CPC 5.2 into production, they just have to choose to do it.
Sponsored

flubyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ford has said the FPC is exclusive to the GT350.

FPC's have problems that are inherent to the design that CPC's wouldn't.

It would be a fairly simple process for Ford to put a CPC 5.2 into production, they just have to choose to do it.
Agreed here - Ford already has CPC 5.0 based crate versions with the GT350 heads. That would make a killer Mach 1 engine

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
:ford:i think what we could see here is the mach 1 going against the 1le.i think FORD will leave the mustang gt to be as it is,and let the mach 1 battle and beat the 1le.the rolls might change.

Zomies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep JK & 2010 Hyundai Accent
For some reason I think Ford will use the 3.5eb out of the 2017 raptor. They have been pushing hard on ecoboost.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Wouldn't it be much easier and cheaper to de-tune the 5.2 slightly to say 485hp and keep the performance under the GT350? But include the GT350 suspension goodies to keep it above the GT PP.

I for one am waiting for this MACH I. But if it isn't official by 2017, then I will go the GT350 route.
It doesn't have to slot under the gt350 if the 350 isn't available at that time.

It may have slightly less horsepower though. But more torque.

JCF204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 F-350
It doesn't have to slot under the gt350 if the 350 isn't available at that time.

It may have slightly less horsepower though. But more torque.
Am I the only one who finds it very hard to believe that Ford would go through all the trouble of the 5.2 FPC and only put it in one car? When the Raptor and GT didn't get the engine, it sure makes me wonder what they have going on for the future of that engine...

A supercharged 5.0 or turbo with direct injection could have sufficed just fine in the new platform. So what was the real need for a new V8??

That makes exactly 0 business sense, and throwing away money isn't well received.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Well, the 5.8 Trinity was unique to the GT500 and only lasted 2 model years.......

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Am I the only one who finds it very hard to believe that Ford would go through all the trouble of the 5.2 FPC and only put it in one car? When the Raptor and GT didn't get the engine, it sure makes me wonder what they have going on for the future of that engine...

A supercharged 5.0 or turbo with direct injection could have sufficed just fine in the new platform. So what was the real need for a new V8??

That makes exactly 0 business sense, and throwing away money isn't well received.
Ford has a history of making "unique" engines for just two model years.

The 5.8 Trinity, as Twin Turbo said, was around for only 2 years.

The specific variation of the 5.4 that was in the 05/06 FGT was around for only two years

The 4.6 Terminator was around for only 2 years

Some of the components of the 5.2 FPC will continue on into other cars (block, heads, etc) but the flat plane crank version of the 5.2 might very well only be around for 2-3 years.

Special50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th Anniversary Special Edition
Why stop at a 5.8? My Mach 1 is a 390 how about one of those! :headbang:

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The Voodoo as it is in total will be a GT350 engine.

But the BASIS for that engine and the innovations that resulted from its development will continue on and show up in engines DERIVED from the Voodoo.

We will "likely" see such engines in the Mach 1, the GT509, and future iterations of the GT.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
The days of big-cube GM small block engines in the Camaro and Corvette are numbered.
Ford has been doing the right thing for a several years now with high-technology/high horsepower small blocks like the Coyote and Voodoo.

I do not see Ford returning to cubic inch displacements larger than the 5.4 (332 cubes).
I see the future in Ecoboost technology, DFI, factory installed superchargers, multi-speed automatics, aluminum and carbon fiber. All of this high-tech stuff will be expensive!

However, the first thing Ford needs to do is get their quality control, paint finish and body panel alignment issues straightened out. The fit and finish of the some of the S550s I've checked out was horrible and Ford should be ashamed. With only one paint chip from a knocked-off clear coat drip, and everything else looking really good, I am considering myself lucky!

I remember those 390s, 428s, 429s and 460s - they were heavy torque monsters.
Efficiency was in gallons per mile.
Modern aluminum block versions would be interesting.
But seriously, we will never see big-cube engines like those ever again, even in aluminum or some other alloy.
Just my 2 cents.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
GM did release an all aluminum 427 BBC to celebrate the ZL1...MSRP on it was $20,000

GM has kept with the big cube, big displacement N/A motors because they're cheap, fairly compact and GM is lazy.

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
Assuming the Mach 1 is a 2018 model, my guess is that it will be the 3.5 EB eng.

I believe the 2018 GT eng will basically be the 350 GT eng with a cross-plane crank complete with it's own version of the 350 heads (less the CNC machining).

They will have to do this because the new LT1 Camaro has a notable power to weight advantage over the current GT spec and without large changes to the chassis (supposedly now 2020) they aren't going to change the weight in any meaningful way which just leaves power and more particularly torque, which the 5.2 will give. Hopefully they will also increase the redline to maybe 7000 to start taking advantage of its advanced capabilities (I find it embarrassing that a large capacity pushrod motor (LT1) has the same RPM ceiling as our supposedly more modern engine)

I read somewhere that Ford are now doing the spray bore process (required for the 5.2) in house, this suggest to me a larger production rate is expected and should also make it more cost effective. And if I'm not mistaken didn't Ford introduces a new range of engines on the last model update of the S197, as it looks like 2018 will be the last update of S550
Sponsored