Sponsored

Brake ducts

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
just a reminder to everyone, the drilled rotors are non-machineable meaning we can only buy new ones:headbonk:
My personal experience has been that if you need to machine your rotors, buy new ones anyway. Now if you just need to put some 400 grit to them to remove some caked on pad material, that's different. Big deal.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
just a reminder to everyone, the drilled rotors are non-machineable meaning we can only buy new ones:headbonk:
My personal experience has been that if you need to machine your rotors, buy new ones anyway. Now if you just need to put some 400 grit to them to remove some caked on pad material, that's different. Big deal.

I only replace brakes with new parts anyway.

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
My closest track is incredibly hard on brakes, so yes, I may see how easy it would be to fabricate some proper ducts to the eye of the rotor.

I'm wondering if those stock ducts are more for insurance that those R model carbon fiber wheels don't get too hot. the inside of the R wheels have a heat reflective (I assume since it's white) on the inside.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
My closest track is incredibly hard on brakes, so yes, I may see how easy it would be to fabricate some proper ducts to the eye of the rotor.

I'm wondering if those stock ducts are more for insurance that those R model carbon fiber wheels don't get too hot. the inside of the R wheels have a heat reflective (I assume since it's white) on the inside.
Thats what ford said it was for. Heat. That's exactly what I was thinking when I thought about making brake ducts. They can't be too cool. Same for the bearing. Extra cooling will never hurt.

Sponsored

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
Thats what ford said it was for. Heat. That's exactly what I was thinking when I thought about making brake ducts. They can't be too cool. Same for the bearing. Extra cooling will never hurt.
At least you have your car.... My order has not even been pulled.

I don't have a tig welder, but I could still make the pieces to be welded up. Vorschlag is just down the road from me, not sure if they would be interested in making a kit. I wonder if Watson Engineering, near you, is thinking about making a kit.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
At least you have your car.... My order has not even been pulled.

I don't have a tig welder, but I could still make the pieces to be welded up. Vorschlag is just down the road from me, not sure if they would be interested in making a kit. I wonder if Watson Engineering, near you, is thinking about making a kit.
American racing headers makes all the headers for Watson and all the ford cobra jet and boss r & s cars for Watson. I've made a few sets of headers before and it's time consuming. I have a tube bender and Tig welder band saw mill etc and it's still a time consuming deal.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's a constant stream of cool air, it will cool everything in the wheel well and the rotors/calipers the most since they are the two hottest things in there. Seems like you car is 85% geared towards the drag strip as well, should be zero issues for you

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
The only thing is, with how wide the wheel/tire combo is up front and the OEM offset, you may not have a lot of room to play with to route hoses between the tire and suspension or chassis at full lock. You will likely have to either 1. squish the hose flat at some area or 2. get creative in the routing, maybe by going very in-board toward the engine bay and coming nearly straight out, perpendicular to the rotor.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Or utilize what what a bunch of ford racing PhDs have already designed, modeled, and track tested?

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing you could do would be to remove the brake dust shields if you really feel you need some extra cooling. I think only the front has them. If you do this, I suggest keeping some type of tie rod end heat shield for durability measures of the joint long term.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or utilize what what a bunch of ford racing PhDs have already designed, modeled, and track tested?
Right. I would agree with driving the car, first, and seeing if you really need additional cooling for your purposes. Just keep the brake fluid fresh and bled.

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
Actually, they can be too cool... :frusty: