2011-2014 Mustang GT 80mm TB How-to

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Something else to add to the list. Definitely beats the ridiculous aftermarket TB prices. Thanks for the write up!
No problem, glad I could help! :D

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
So my new used gt tb came in today. I was gunna wait till i got to work tomorrow to use our yoooge drill press to drill it out, but i couldnt wait so i did it by hand. Not perfect, but does the job. I also ground down the shoulders on my stock bolts so i couldnuse those too. Ive been on a stock tb for a month or so...and nownim wondering what the hell i was thinking taking it off....lol.....like....wth was i thinking. So much more tq in part throttle, and it pulls so good, and comes on hard during wot up shifts...
20170322_185146.jpg

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
So my new used gt tb came in today. I was gunna wait till i got to work tomorrow to use our yoooge drill press to drill it out, but i couldnt wait so i did it by hand. Not perfect, but does the job. I also ground down the shoulders on my stock bolts so i couldnuse those too. Ive been on a stock tb for a month or so...and nownim wondering what the hell i was thinking taking it off....lol.....like....wth was i thinking. So much more tq in part throttle, and it pulls so good, and comes on hard during wot up shifts...
Is your engine lowered or stock height? How is clearance?

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Hey is it my imagination or what, "whatdoyoufeedit" said there was insufficient clearance on the thermostat so he had to rotate the throttle body 180 degrees to make it work. But you didn't turn yours, so what is the deal, did you discover a new way to install it? I'm trying to make my own adapter out of 3/8 aluminum and finding it difficult with just a drill press and a hacksaw.:frusty: I would do it the way you've done it if it's easy enough, fewer chances for a pesky leak.

Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Oh yeah, forgot to mention tgat i filed off the corner of the tb motor housing to clear the water neck. Didnt take much to clear it. Hood clearance? Never noticed a issue. Stock motor mounts

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Call me crazy...but the car seems to pull better with this version rather than my adapted version i did last time?? Weird

Bbrillon998

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 (Ruby Red)
So i did this mod and im disappointed so far. No real noticeable feel of torque or better throttle response others have had (Im using a 13 F150 TB) it feels absolutely the same as before.The car had upper and lower ported intake manifolds already. Ive been monitoring the ITAs and vacuum gauges for leaks or spikes in temp it looks about the same. Ive noticed a slightly higher ITA temps, probably due to me using EPDM 3.5 in-tubing. Only really way to know is in late April when i can take it drag racing to see if there is anything to gain out of this. I just feel like bolt on mods do jack for this car at 5280 + feet in elevation, Denver CO. Its looks like procharge/ turbo charge or bust out here.

Last edited:

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
So i did this mod and im disappointed so far. No real noticeable feel of torque or better throttle response others have had (Im using a 13 F150 TB) it feels absolutely the same as before.The car had upper and lower ported intake manifolds already. Ive been monitoring the ITAs and vacuum gauges for leaks or spikes in temp it looks about the same. Ive noticed a slightly higher ITA temps, probably due to me using EPDM 3.5 in-tubing. Only really way to know is in late April when i can take it drag racing to see if there is anything to gained out of this. I just feel like blot on mods do jack for this car at 5280 + feet in elevation in Denver CO. Its looks like procharge/ turbo charge or bust out here.
That is odd I've had the BBK and this mod, they were on two different cars, and both felt a lot better in midrange but really about the same on the strip. Sorry to have to tell you that man. My throttle body is from a F150 also. I wonder if it has anything to do with the ported intake? At least there are still guys doing this mod so you can probably sell the complete deal to someone who doesn't want to have to run all the stuff down themselves. Yea fordguys550 how hard is drilling out the T/B, any trick to it?

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
That is odd I've had the BBK and this mod, they were on two different cars, and both felt a lot better in midrange but really about the same on the strip. Sorry to have to tell you that man. My throttle body is from a F150 also. I wonder if it has anything to do with the ported intake? At least there are still guys doing this mod so you can probably sell the complete deal to someone who doesn't want to have to run all the stuff down themselves. Yea fordguys550 how hard is drilling out the T/B, any trick to it?
His issue sounds like altitude. A tune will help however forced induction is king at his location.

Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Sounds like at that altitude, the motor just cant process any more air than it already was. But....im at 4k elev...i noticed it right away. Ecu was freaking out for the first 15 miles caise it kept going lean and the ecu had to compensate. Car feels awesome....midrange is so much better its crazy.

Are you tuned?

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Hey [MENTION=19057]fordguys550[/MENTION] I am going to attempt to to drill the holes myself by hand. I have a quick question though. What measurements did you use (I know it is supposed to be .187" towards center, which is 3/16"), but where did you measure from for that (the center of the original hole or the edge closest to the body)?

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Hey [MENTION=19057]fordguys550[/MENTION] I am going to attempt to to drill the holes myself by hand. I have a quick question though. What measurements did you use (I know it is supposed to be .187" towards center, which is 3/16"), but where did you measure from for that (the center of the original hole or the edge closest to the body)?
If your measuring hole spacing remember that the center to center distance is exactly the same as the distance from the inside edge, toward the other hole, of the first hole to the outside edge, opposite away from the first hole. I think this only works if the holes are size.

O-O
|-|

I'm no artist but this crappy diagram may make this idea easier to understand.

I previewed this post and the computer has moved the right side hole all the way over to the left side hole, for a reason that I presume only a computer could understand. It's supposed to be all the way to the right with the upright line pointing at the left hand edge just like the other one. Tried a shorter on to see what happens. I'm going to stop here cause this is probably going to be the last time that I'll still seem coherent.:headbonk:

Going back and looking at your post my answer is clear as mud, just start at the edge and go .187 to the new edge. On a side note I picked up a drill bit yesterday made by Century Drill & Tool Company it's 1/4 inch part# 64129 and it drills and reams. It has 90 ground saw teeth on the sides and the reamer part looks long enough to go all the way through the T/B. I'm going to try it on a 3/8 aluminum plate later and see how it cuts

Last edited:

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
If your measuring hole spacing remember that the center to center distance is exactly the same as the distance from the inside edge, toward the other hole, of the first hole to the outside edge, opposite away from the first hole. I think this only works if the holes are size.

O-O
|-|

I'm no artist but this crappy diagram may make this idea easier to understand.

I previewed this post and the computer has moved the right side hole all the way over to the left side hole, for a reason that I presume only a computer could understand. It's supposed to be all the way to the right with the upright line pointing at the left hand edge just like the other one. Tried a shorter on to see what happens. I'm going to stop here cause this is probably going to be the last time that I'll still seem coherent.:headbonk:

Going back and looking at your post my answer is clear as mud, just start at the edge and go .187 to the new edge. On a side note I picked up a drill bit yesterday made by Century Drill & Tool Company it's 1/4 inch part# 64129 and it drills and reams. It has 90 ground saw teeth on the sides and the reamer part looks long enough to go all the way through the T/B. I'm going to try it on a 3/8 aluminum plate later and see how it cuts
Thanks...I figure I am just going to make this simple on myself and mark the outer edge of the original hole as my center and drill there (drill bit is 3/16" round) and if I come up short, I'll file away the rest.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Hey that drill reamer combination I mentioned, SAVE your money it won't even cut a slot in wood, it even hangs up in wood. Or give your money to Red Cross, National Cancer Society or maybe even MOWM, somewhere it might do some good, by the way that's Mustang Owners Without Mods.
Sponsored