Sponsored

Mishimoto CAI Review and JLT Catch Can bonus!

Mr Snappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-Vert, 2015 Tahoe LTZ
Just installed my new Mishimoto CAI that I purchased a few weeks ago when they had the "Pre-Order" special. I have a bit a mixed review on this, but first I want to let you know that the air tube does NOT look pink like that. I had a flood light attached to the top of the hood and for some reason the phone made it looked like washed-out pink.

First the good. All the components are nice quality and packaged correctly. I was only missing one small washer for a screw I did not end up using anyways. All of the parts (except the airbox, more on that to come) fit nicely. As far as actual performance, it could be "installer bias" but it does seem like it growls a little more at WOT. I can also swear I hear a new type of "swishing" sound when revving the engine in neutral...could be in my head, but I like the sound. I really can't tell if I feel more power however...but I would not really have expected that. I am not new to CAI's, I had them on all of my Corvettes. I decided to leave the sound tube in. This is mainly due to wanting to do as little work as possible if I need to return to stock for any reason.

Now the bad. I had a HUGE problem getting the air box to fit. I have read others who had challenges as well. The install video claims its a "tight fit" and that you have to move the stock air inlet slightly to the side to get it to fit....uh, are they on crack? Yes, you can easily move the box side panel to the side of the inlet, that is not an issue. What is an issue is that even when the part is pushed flush to the absolute furthest position, it is still about 1/4 inch not deep enough to have the box lay on top of the mounting bolt. There is no way to "wiggle" it in, at least in my car. I had to drill out about 1/4 inch of the plastic support directly to the right of the inlet. Not a big deal if you are comfortable with that type of thing, but I am sure there will be numerous "plug & play" type guys that will be pissed. I have a 2016 GT Convertible that is not modified in any way...it is 100% stock in the engine bay, so that was not why I had an issue.

In the end, I am happy with it. We will see how it holds up over time. A word to Mishimoto marketing...Put a sticker or two in the box, it would have been cool to put a little logo on my back window. The penguin air freshener you included was...uh...different.

Now for the bonus! I had forgot that I had received a JLT Catch-Can for Christmas. I installed it that week and forgot it was there. While doing this mod I remembered to check the tank of the can and was happy to see that it was about 1/3 full. It has been 3 months and about 1700 miles, so it is actually doing the job.

Sponsored

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Premium PP GT
I don't know what to tell you , mine installed without a hitch . Airbox fit like it was factory , but I also was 1 washer short. Glad you got it done . I didn't know they had pink ones lol .

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Looks good.....I think. I only say that because if that inlet port/hose is riding hard against your coolant tank then the design wasn't well thought out, then again maybe it isn't- hard to tell from the pic? Could alway adjust your tank over if it is I guess.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry,

Makes a PMAS look good..

Sponsored

Iceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150,2016 PP GT
I don't know what to tell you , mine installed without a hitch . Airbox fit like it was factory , but I also was 1 washer short. Glad you got it done . I didn't know they had pink ones lol .
Agreed had no issues with the box. I moved the air inlet over and slid right in without issue. Was missing a couple of washers as well. Only semi pain of this install was removing the sound tube.

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks good.....I think. I only say that because if that inlet port/hose is riding hard against your coolant tank then the design wasn't well thought out, then again maybe it isn't- hard to tell from the pic? Could alway adjust your tank over if it is I guess.
It looks to me from all the pics Mishimoto posted that they did their research and development with their expansion tank installed on their test mule . All given it is not that bad and I plan on getting their tank .

Sponsored

maddawg57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
IMG_1228.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg
IMG_1231.jpg
IMG_1232.jpg

Attachments