Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mule? Front Gills/Louvers

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Wouldn't be awesome if after the reveal of the Demon (April 11) they stole the NY show and brought in the GT500/ Cobra!
That would be great, but neither car will upstage the other, they're aimed at different customers. The new Mustang will primarily be compared to the ZL1 and to a lesser extent the Vette.

The Demon is going to be a very limited production car. Its job is to be the new halo car for Dodge since the Viper is out of production. It really has no competition since it's the only car in its niche.

When I sell my Hellcat I want something more well-rounded, hopefully the upcoming Mustang. I'd only consider a Demon if I regularly competed in the quarter mile (which I don't). I like the ZL1 but I'm not a fan of the styling or the restricted visibility.
Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
That would be great, but neither car will upstage the other, they're aimed at different customers. The new Mustang will primarily be compared to the ZL1 and to a lesser extent the Vette.
I don't think he meant that the new GT500 will "upstage" the Demon. I think he meant that with no news of the new GT500, it shows up and steals the show. (If that's how I read it.)
But, all in all,.....Dodge is KILLING IT!!! They have the Hellcat, the Demon coming out, (which is going to be an animal at the drag strip), the Jeep SRT, and Durango SRT. OH!,......and the Trackhawk in the works as well. Great choices in all spectrums of performance vehicles.
I don't see any other brand knocking the Demon off the top as far as the car being stock, with warranty, running close to 9's in the quarter mile, and being street legal. Nasty! (Time will tell though.)
:headbang::headbang:

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
It would be epic if Ford dropped a badass TT halo Stang in NewYork about the time the Demon is unveiled! All that build up to be upstaged would be killer! Probably not going to happen but one can hope!!

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
We all heard the same hype when the Hellcat came out and it's about a meow right now because while it's a lot of hp, it's moving a boat of weight; about 4450lbs.

Slap a blower on a 5.0 weighing 500+ pounds less and you have a good fight for a LOT cheaper.

Even if the Demon drops 200 pounds (which reportedly is because they removed the passenger and rear seats :doh: not really a fair comparison) and gets 800-900hp it's still moving a 4250lb boat. And it is not AWD as earlier guessed but RWD.

Even a GT500 or variant with 750hp would still be very competitive because of the weight difference (and remove the seats to make it even then even bigger weight difference)

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
You never know, they may do a R or KR version of the next SE Mustang and use some carbon fiber tidbits as well as a rear seat delete. It could weigh in around 3800. The regular version I'd say 100 lbs more. That's only 450 or 350 lbs less than the demon.

Last edited:

Sponsored

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
I find it amusing how some individuals speak with such authority on alleged upcoming products.

"It's definitely this..."

"it's definitely not this..."

or my personal favorite, "I have a friend that said..."

:gossip:
Truer words never spoken sir. For all we know this is just an old shot of one of the gt350 test mules. All we can do is speculate and hope. I'd like to see Ford come back up as the camaro is quite honestly destroying the Mustang.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
For all we know this is just an old shot of one of the gt350 test mules. .

Yes, I do think this was an "old" GT350 prototype but has now been re-purposed as a very early "GT500" mule.

Hopefully we'll see some more, '18MY-based, prototypes spied soon :)

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You never know, they may do a R or KR version of the next SE Mustang and use some carbon fiber tidbits as well as a rear seat delete. It could weigh in around 3800. The regular version I'd say 100 lbs more. That's only 450 or 350 lbs less than the demon.
Even if a blown/TT car is 3800lbs and has 750hp it's VERY similar power to weight as a hypothetical 850hp 4250lb Demon; .1974 to .2 (we do know 200 pounds less than 4450 so about 4250 is a good guess; hp no clue).

You need a good amount of extra hp just to make up 450 pounds; about 89 extra hp. In theory, the Demon would need at least 839hp just to compete with a 750hp (3800lb) Mustang.

Weight is such a big deal, and that's where other companies fail and the GT350 got right.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
What's also important on a drag car is where the weight is. More weight over the rear is better. I'm hoping what ford does is keep as much off the nose as possible, relocating some items would be nice. Put the battery over the rear wheels for a change. I think it happens with the new SE. For tracking it would be especially important. That supercharger and intercoolers will add 200 lbs minimum to the nose. The s550 needs to be less than the 197....or at least make it a goal. Maybe some carbon fiber and rear seat delete options would help this. 5.2 will be lighter than the 5.8...don't know how much lighter, probably less than 30 lbs, but supercharger will probably be heavier than the outgoing.
I had a '14 gt500 with 760 HP. It was a beast! From a roll at 50 to 130 few cars would match it. Problem was putting the power to the ground in the first 2 gears because of uneven weight distribution. It needed it over the rears bad.
350 to 450 lbs more and with the HP to the demon it would be a good street race. Drag strip and race fuel demon wins fairly easy.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
What's also important on a drag car is where the weight is. More weight over the rear is better. I'm hoping what ford does is keep as much off the nose as possible, relocating some items would be nice. Put the battery over the rear wheels for a change. I think it happens with the new SE. For tracking it would be especially important. That supercharger and intercoolers will add 200 lbs minimum to the nose. The s550 needs to be less than the 197....or at least make it a goal. Maybe some carbon fiber and rear seat delete options would help this. 5.2 will be lighter than the 5.8...don't know how much lighter, probably less than 30 lbs, but supercharger will probably be heavier than the outgoing.
I had a '14 gt500 with 760 HP. It was a beast! From a roll at 50 to 130 few cars would match it. Problem was putting the power to the ground in the first 2 gears because of uneven weight distribution. It needed it over the rears bad.
350 to 450 lbs more and with the HP to the demon it would be a good street race. Drag strip and race fuel demon wins fairly easy.
Price is also a factor. Demon is going to be limited run from what is being said, and with that Snap-on box of extras etc and all of the other things over the Hellcat, is going to be pushing $80-100k range if not more with ADMs if they really are that limited production.

The GT500 was an affordable big power car. The 2014 was what, $55-60k MSRP? Not a huge sticker either way. If Ford can keep it's competitor at $65-70k it will be a much more viable option for most. Can't compare it to the 350R price either because much of that price increase is those hand made CF wheels

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'm thinking starting around 65 ending around 78 if they make a convertible option. The KR (if there is one) with CF rims will be 80 area. Hopefully ford will step in regarding adm, but don't see it happening.
Demon will be 80K and the box is an option = more$ Also there is an ADR option. They will probably top out at 85k with around 3,000 a year. There will most likely be adm on those as well. Some of the in guys are saying 100k with adm.

I should buy one at msrp and sell it. Haha. Nah...I don't have time for that BS.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
If the next Halo Mustang is less than 80k I'll be pleasantly surprised! However, I figure that it is a lot more likely that it will be deep in the 80k range! More technology more carbon fiber more money! No way it is anywhere close to the price of 2014 GT500. Just be prepared to pay I fear!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
If the next Halo Mustang is less than 80k I'll be pleasantly surprised! However, I figure that it is a lot more likely that it will be deep in the 80k range! More technology more carbon fiber more money! No way it is anywhere close to the price of 2014 GT500. Just be prepared to pay I fear!
I just don't see it this way, for this reason alone.
The Mustang has always been an affordable car. Would I prefer they didn't cut corners on it and charge 100k for it, heck yes, but it's all about selling between 10 and 15,000 units. If they price it at 90k they may sell 8,000 of them, or half of what their target is.
I welcome a ford that is a supercar and not held back by bean counters, but I realize ford wants to cater to the masses. Look what they did with the GT... 750 over 3 years at least 450k minimum ... still can't get one of those and the bean counters probably weren't involved with that.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Believe me I hope the price is under 80k. One mans affordable is another's out of reach. In a day and age of 60k plus F150 (a loaded Raptor pushes 70k) trucks I figure they want have a problem asking 80k plus for their top dog Stang. Unfortunately most desirable sports/muscle cars are approaching 100k! So 80-90k may not look so bad as long as they bring the thunder with the GT500!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
As much as I like the Mustang, it would be so nice if ford brought a 2 seat supercar to rival the vette. Now GM is going to bring a mid engine and sell to the masses. Ford had to have seen the writing on the wall when they received 6000+ applications for a 450k+ supercar when they would only fill 750 applications over 3 years. I don't know about Ford, but GM did! Ford could have capitalized on it, by offering a less painstaking production mid engine, possibly aluminum, less capable model. Oh well...still...Maybe a cobra will be coming:)
Sponsored