Sponsored

GT350 active exhaust to GT

blaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
im doing the same this op. so any info you get will be great for me. i have already sourced my complete gt350 exhaust and priced the actuators at 90$ each. just need some type of control unit to modulate the actuators.

one note about the oem gt350 exhaust is the connection at the cat pipe is significantly larger so some fabrication is required.

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
I did the retrofit last week. Wasn't that big of a project. I control the valves with a DPDT switch. Sounds AMAZING!!!

Valves closed sounds like a stock GT with a res delete. Valves open sounds nasty. Best part is there is ZERO drone even with the valves open cruising at 70mph.

The GT350 piping is 2.75" OD and the GT is obviously 2.5" OD. 2.5" OD piping fits nicely inside 2.75" OD for welding. All I did was cut off the portion of my stock mufflers and use that.

-Nick

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I did the retrofit last week. Wasn't that big of a project. I control the valves with a DPDT switch. Sounds AMAZING!!!

Valves closed sounds like a stock GT with a res delete. Valves open sounds nasty. Best part is there is ZERO drone even with the valves open cruising at 70mph.

The GT350 piping is 2.75" OD and the GT is obviously 2.5" OD. 2.5" OD piping fits nicely inside 2.75" OD for welding. All I did was cut off the portion of my stock mufflers and use that.

-Nick
Is there that much of a volume difference with the OEM 350 system than your SLP/Roush-ish mufflers?

I have the Roush with H and they are pretty damn loud; reviewers say it's like a full header system volume.

My understanding, and what I saw in videos of a retrofitted system, was the 350 OEM system is relatively tame even valves open because it's still resonated.

MoneyPit#53

Sheeple Shepherd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0
Is there that much of a volume difference with the OEM 350 system than your SLP/Roush-ish mufflers?

I have the Roush with H and they are pretty damn loud; reviewers say it's like a full header system volume.

My understanding, and what I saw in videos of a retrofitted system, was the 350 OEM system is relatively tame even valves open because it's still resonated.
Yes. I still have the X res delete installed from my FRPP Touring CB. So technically my should be about as loud as a GT350R is since the R has a non-resonated X from the factory. On mine, when the valves are open it's fairly loud. I would put it at a 8/10 and I've had some stupid loud setups in the past. I have the Borla resonator that fits my CB for when the time comes to install the MAK cat deletes. At that point I know for sure it will be obnoxiously loud so the Borla resonator will be a must. At least for my liking.

-Nick

Sponsored

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550

I think you're talking about my car. I don't have the resonators, I have just the 350 mufflers and valance I sourced from a wrecked 350 for $750 total in parts. With [MENTION=15098]Moneypit[/MENTION]'s help, I was able to make the valves work on a simple switch. It's just a DC motor inside. Take it apart and wire it direct.

As for volume, with my longtubes and catless X, it is INSANE loud. It's seriously ear-bleeding, death to children loud. With the valves closed it is quieter than my GT500s were.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Quick video I tossed together of the setup.

Sponsored