Springs: linear vs. progressive

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Cambridgeshire, formerly Aberdeen, Scotland
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
Birthday money in the bank and springs are next on the shopping list. :cheers:

What is the difference between these two types?

My preference is for ride quality to remain as is, not get worse. Obv an improvement would be welcome if it was an option. I'm not in the market for coilovers, more simple lowering springs.
Sponsored

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
If you want ride quality as close as possible to as-is with a performance gain: progressives.

Was looking for the same and after some reading like the above and a few calls I was sold on progressive springs for daily driving. Went with Steeda. After install, ride quality is still great and car feels much more planted than it was with my PP setup. Hitting little bumps is stiffer but nowhere near that brain rattling feeling I had previously with my other cars coilovers setup.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
For daily drivers who rarely head to the track, we recommend our progressives due to the comfortable ride quality. You'd be looking for a linear spring if you tracked the car more often than not - a linear spring rate is consistent which is important when racing.

Ride quality-wise, the ultralite linear and the sport linear are going to be pretty similar - the main difference is the ultralites are slightly lower in the front.

Spring rate - the springs have the ability to absorb bumps in the road while still remaining stiffer than the PP springs for cornering/handling as well.

At the moment, we have our linears on sale for $169.95 - https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-ultralite-springs-linear-2015-gt-v6-555-8211.html

Best Regards,

TJ

Biggriff550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Deep Impact Blue Convertible
If you want a set of progressives there's a set still in the box (unopened) in my garage. Decided to go coilover.

PM me.

Sponsored

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
I would also ask just changing springs or whole set up. As changing springs is just one of the dynamics. Well work looking at whole set up if you can. KW v3 are expensive but well worth the effort. If you can afford it that and eibach role bars are well worth it

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
For daily drivers who rarely head to the track, we recommend our progressives due to the comfortable ride quality. You'd be looking for a linear spring if you tracked the car more often than not - a linear spring rate is consistent which is important when racing.

Ride quality-wise, the ultralite linear and the sport linear are going to be pretty similar - the main difference is the ultralites are slightly lower in the front.

Spring rate - the springs have the ability to absorb bumps in the road while still remaining stiffer than the PP springs for cornering/handling as well.

At the moment, we have our linears on sale for $169.95 - https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-ultralite-springs-linear-2015-gt-v6-555-8211.html

Best Regards,

TJ
having the progressive fitted this week !!

OP
OP
McXtravert

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for the help, looks like progressive is the way to go for my usage.

are there any other mods worth doing whilst the wheels and suspension is in bits?

Cheers!

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)

are there any other mods worth doing whilst the wheels and suspension is in bits?

Cheers!
spacers !!
paint the calipers

OP
OP
McXtravert

McXtravert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
spacers !!
paint the calipers
spacers sitting waiting to go on. I'm quite happy with the calipers as is - scratched that itch on the previous car :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
spacers !!
paint the calipers
Our GT's all come with black painted calipers and 'Brembo' stickers on them... Think your CS has the same calipers as my EB? (well, before mine were painted...)

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs

Cheers!

[MENTION=18053]McXtravert[/MENTION], I would say our IRS base pack is a great thing to do while doing the suspension. Currently so great we are sold out for a week or two til the new batch arrive! :doh:

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Our GT's all come with black painted calipers and 'Brembo' stickers on them... Think your CS has the same calipers as my EB? (well, before mine were painted...)
yea, think so, Small Brakes !!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
yea, think so, Small Brakes !!
Small compared to the GT, not small by any stretch compared to others, very punch little fuckers ;)!
Sponsored