Ecoboost timing cover oil leak smear

ecoboyboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
White EB auto
My local mechanic first spotted this smear of oil around the front of the block at the 15K service and suggested I get it looked at by Ford.
I read it up on the US forums and apparently it is a common fault. The fix is just to replace the sealant at the cover joint - there is no gasket. There is a Ford Co bulletin re this. I have no oil on my driveway so the leak has never been serious.
I had the dealer look at it on the 30K service and they said they would fix but they needed the car overnight as the sealant had to cure before use.
They have the car but told me they are not going to start the job until they know they have the right bolts(?) in the country.
Next time they contact I'll ask them what the hell they need bolts for. Meanwhile I'm bored stiff driving their loaner Territory.
Anyone else any had experience with this?
Sponsored

ryosaeba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White EB Black Roof and Stripes
Hey John, can you take a photo of it? Would like to check mine please.

OP
OP
ecoboyboost

ecoboyboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
White EB auto
Sorry Sam the car is with the dealer and hopefully when I get it back there will be nothing to photograph! If you search the 6G US threads you will find some pics. If you have the problem it's probably best to wait for FORD AU to work out a fix on it so you don't have to wait around like I'm having to.

ryosaeba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Ah righto. Thanks mate.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ecoboyboost

ecoboyboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
White EB auto
It's taking a week to do this repair.

After taking my car in for the timing cover seal repair on Tuesday, they tell me today I won't get it back til next week. When the booking was made weeks ago I requested they have the parts ready so there would be no delays. They failed to do this and this is a documented fault.
The problem for me is not not having the car, it's having to park their loaner car carefully each time to avoid the $1500 excess with a car park bingle.
There is an inverse correlation between the claims made by companies on how they are focussed on customer service and the amount of customer service they actually deliver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ecoboyboost

ecoboyboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
White EB auto
I got the car back today. It's a bigger job than I thought, they told me there were a lot of parts to remove to do the job. So a heads ups to anyone having this done, it's going to take a few days and you want to make sure they put someone good on the job.

ryosaeba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
After taking my car in for the timing cover seal repair on Tuesday, they tell me today I won't get it back til next week. When the booking was made weeks ago I requested they have the parts ready so there would be no delays. They failed to do this and this is a documented fault.
The problem for me is not not having the car, it's having to park their loaner car carefully each time to avoid the $1500 excess with a car park bingle.
There is an inverse correlation between the claims made by companies on how they are focussed on customer service and the amount of customer service they actually deliver.
Rofl you cheapen out on their $20 excess waiver too didn't you? :D I did the same haahah

KS50GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Coupe
Hey, at least Ford offers loan cars.
Sponsored