Sponsored

Oil Change message

DeNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My change oil light came on at <4000 miles and 7 months of ownership. Dealer informed me this is likely to be because the car thinks it's a year old. But this didn't make sense because the car was built in May so it's 12 weeks early. Decided to get an oil change done anyway because I've not done one yet, and its about half way to the annual service. Dealer did the oil change but when I got home and checked the oil level I found it was WELL over maximum, like 3-4 inches. Surprised they are giving away free oil at £10/litre!
Not sure if excess oil can cause any problems but thinking I will drain some out and get it back between min/max.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
It's 12 month timer, HOWEVER if you drive the car like crazy or always short distances, oil life turns a bit shitty, so it's a bit of a mix, i'm on <10% at the minute >7k miles and Service booked in for Apr 18th. So mines running pretty well if you ask me :)!

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
My change oil light came on at <4000 miles and 7 months of ownership. Dealer informed me this is likely to be because the car thinks it's a year old. But this didn't make sense because the car was built in May so it's 12 weeks early. Decided to get an oil change done anyway because I've not done one yet, and its about half way to the annual service. Dealer did the oil change but when I got home and checked the oil level I found it was WELL over maximum, like 3-4 inches. Surprised they are giving away free oil at £10/litre!
Not sure if excess oil can cause any problems but thinking I will drain some out and get it back between min/max.
Overfilling is a problem. Take it back and demand they sort it and record the event for future warranty.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
3-4mm is meh, 3-4cm is bloody careless, 3-4 inches is fucking ridiculous and could cause serious issues.

Somebody needs a rollocking!

"We need 8 tubs, yeah go on jerry whack it all in mate, be fine" :frusty:

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic

DeNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I took it back to the dealer today, they were messing around with it for about 45 mins (I hate that you can't see what's going on). When they were done they admitted it was "a little bit" over and have drained some off.
I'll be finding somewhere else for 1 year service!

JustGav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Euro Spec 5.0
Mine has just come up, and to the dealer's credit they did call me within 15 minutes of me sending an email and assured me the vehicle doesn't need a change.

I am tempted to get it done anyway, doing some research seems to indicate that the coyote engine runs 5w20 which is an interesting combo. Is this correct?

DeNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yep, 5w20 is printed on the oil filler cap (as an extra measure to make sure they put the right stuff in!). This grade is pretty common in US but not in U.K. You can buy it online but it's not cheap. I saw in the AUS forum they are using 5w30, which has caused confusion no end because the filler cap is the same as ours. Interesting to know what they quote you just for oil change (not full service)?

Dinks66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Lightning Blue. Borla S- type cat back
Yep, 5w20 is printed on the oil filler cap (as an extra measure to make sure they put the right stuff in!). This grade is pretty common in US but not in U.K. You can buy it online but it's not cheap. I saw in the AUS forum they are using 5w30, which has caused confusion no end because the filler cap is the same as ours. Interesting to know what they quote you just for oil change (not full service)?
I also have a Dodge Ram that is supposed to run on 5w20 which I could not get hold of a few years ago. On further investigation I discovered that it was only specced like this so as to get the emissions down a small fraction. With the thousands of vehicles sold in the states it makes enough difference when added together and all US car manufacturers are limited to their total emissions output so it allows them to sell more vehicles. I have been running 5w30 in it for 10 years now and it has never missed a beat. Just saying !!:)

Sponsored

SteveyB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT fastback, Ruby Red Auto, custom.
My warning came up today to replace oil soon, apparently 2% life left in it. Bearing in mind that my car was only built in July last year and I've done only 1300 miles I have just reset the life. Clearly it can't be triggering after one year because it's only 8.5 months since manufacture and half of my 1300 miles was done in one journey.

JustGav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Euro Spec 5.0
When the guys from Ford called me as I sent them an email, he did say there was PCB firmware issue which they are looking at resolving and that the warning is false.

I still intend on dropping the oil anyway at 5000 miles just because I like to do it. I'm hoping to get some Royal Purple 5W20 in time for it.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
After reading this thread I checked my oil life reading.
I have 44% left at 2400 miles. But I had the oil changed at 500 miles and I suspect it wasn't reset. Could the system actually be programmed sensibly to request an early first change, or has it been triggering early on subsequent changes too?
Another thought is that not all markets do 10k changes. Maybe another RHD market has a more sympathetic recommended change interval and they occasionally get bits mixed up..

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Could the system actually be programmed sensibly to request an early first change...
If it is they didn't tell the Ford dealers :D
Sponsored