Insurance for the mustang

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Guys do yourselves a favour and look up Famous Insurance. They cover any modification (whether it's engineered or not), given my long list, this was a real concern for me in the event of a claim.

I actually saved $300 a year and $250 off my excess from switching off NRMA (with a 12.5% multi policy discount) so it was all round winning! Even includes free windscreen and 14 day hire car.
Sponsored

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
I'll need to arrange insurance in about a month. Do Famous offer NSW greenslips? I don't think they do from what I can see. I save about $200 a year having my greenslip with Shannons compared to the next cheapest but they only offer it if you also have comprehensive insurance with them. I also wouldn't get the multipolicy discount so straight up they'd have to be several hundred dollars better.

I'm also concerned that Famous have changed underwriters not long ago and are underwritten by a UK company which in turn is owned by a German company. Could be a real shit fight if they drag their feet processing a claim. Has anyone processed a claim through them? Searching around I see lots of recommendations for them based upon price and track day coverage but no experiences of the claim process other than for a bike which is what they started out with and before they changed underwriters.

Happy to consider others but currently they appear to be a big unknown.

Jimbo9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Budget Direct & Woolworths wouldn't offer me insurance due to having an after market exhaust. NRMA won't quote for Vic drivers. AAMI gave me an online quote for $1000 but there was no field to list any mods so I'm sceptical of this one.

Going to try Shannons & Famous

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'll need to arrange insurance in about a month. Do Famous offer NSW greenslips? I don't think they do from what I can see. I save about $200 a year having my greenslip with Shannons compared to the next cheapest but they only offer it if you also have comprehensive insurance with them. I also wouldn't get the multipolicy discount so straight up they'd have to be several hundred dollars better.

I'm also concerned that Famous have changed underwriters not long ago and are underwritten by a UK company which in turn is owned by a German company. Could be a real shit fight if they drag their feet processing a claim. Has anyone processed a claim through them? Searching around I see lots of recommendations for them based upon price and track day coverage but no experiences of the claim process other than for a bike which is what they started out with and before they changed underwriters.

Happy to consider others but currently they appear to be a big unknown.
Good questions mate but I don't know the answers. Yeah they told me they are underwritten by the 3rd largest insurer in german and given how awesome germany and cars are it made sense to me. Their office based here is only 10 mins from my place so if I ever had issues claiming I could easily turn up on their door stop and raise hell lol.

Tango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT FB - ordered April 12, 2016
I have just got the following quotes:

Agreed value - $90K which is what it will be once mods in
Age - 44 with clean driving record

Shannons - $2,100 (I wasn't that impressed with them based on the call)
NRMA - $1,300 (7.5% loyalty discount, $2,000 Excess, windscreen cover included)

I think NRMA is the go for me

Sponsored

KS50GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Coupe
Woah, huge inconsistency with Shannons.
I'm 32, female, never had a single ticket or bingle. Granny envies my record.
Garaged, secure parking undercover at work, eat 15kms pa.
1 additional male driver, age 44, clean history.

Shannons - $3050 full comp with $800 excess
Youi - $3020 full comp
NRMA - $1800
Budget - $1600 full comp with hire car, $500 excess and windscreens.
Coles - 1800.

What gives? Guessing my address has a shady history, as 2 quotes were way off the mark.

I may give famous a call, thanks for the tip!

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have just got the following quotes:

Agreed value - $90K which is what it will be once mods in
Age - 44 with clean driving record

Shannons - $2,100 (I wasn't that impressed with them based on the call)
NRMA - $1,300 (7.5% loyalty discount, $2,000 Excess, windscreen cover included)

I think NRMA is the go for me
Interesting on the 90k Did you provide them with receipts etc to get it up that high and have it reviewed by another department. I spoke with NRMA as they said 75 was max and anymore you gotta go through the process I mentioned above.

That said they only cover "legal" mods and I aint exactly legal lol

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
Thought I would add to the list.

2017 convertible GT
Garaged in Sydney's lower north shore
Insured with NRMA for $980, top no claims, replacement value $72k, excess $1500.

why? because they were the cheapest and they cover mods.

Also got quotes from Shannons ($1800!!!!!!!!!!), Budget ($1470) and GIO ($1130).

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Youi - $3020 full comp
I would not go any where near Youi. Terrible!

They do this "we know you" thing in their marketing, but all they do is sell you a cheap insurance for the 1st year if they think you are of value, then hike it in year 2, when most folk will auto-renew.

You know they don't want your business when they give you a quote like that though!

And their claims department are terrible.

A mate of mine had a minor bump on his car (his fault) when he didnt stop in time and hit another vehicle at a slow speed.

Turns out, he had forgotten to advise Youi that he had added after market reverse sensors on the vehicle (absolutely zero to do with the accident), yet they quibbled about his claim as his vehicle had been "modified"

Yellow GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
I would not go any where near Youi. Terrible!

They do this "we know you" thing in their marketing, but all they do is sell you a cheap insurance for the 1st year if they think you are of value, then hike it in year 2, when most folk will auto-renew.

You know they don't want your business when they give you a quote like that though!

And their claims department are terrible.

A mate of mine had a minor bump on his car (his fault) when he didnt stop in time and hit another vehicle at a slow speed.

Turns out, he had forgotten to advise Youi that he had added after market reverse sensors on the vehicle (absolutely zero to do with the accident), yet they quibbled about his claim as his vehicle had been "modified"
I think most, if not all, insurers will hike their prices every year anyway.
I always shop around before the renewal to get a better price.
See my previous post about Youi.

Cant comment on claims (touch wood) but I'm pretty sure all insurers will find every possible way not to pay. Thats just the nature of the business...

Sponsored

TeamDenno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT V8 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I think most, if not all, insurers will hike their prices every year anyway.
I always shop around before the renewal to get a better price.
See my previous post about Youi.

Cant comment on claims (touch wood) but I'm pretty sure all insurers will find every possible way not to pay. Thats just the nature of the business...
I have used Budget for the last few years. Agreed Value. Windscreen and Hire Car.

Went down this year for the 2nd year on the trot.

And only having 2 incidents in the past 15 years, first with AAMI (my fault) second with Budget (not my fault), I can honestly say the process was painless.

Aussie MustangGT

2016 Mustang GT Auto
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
My Mustang GT is insured through Ryno Insurance Services and is underwritten at Lloyds.
My premium was $873.36 incl. GST.
Basic excess: $500
No claim bonus: 65%
Driver under 30 years excluded
Vehicle garaged day and night.
Extreme limited use (4000km/year)
Modifications allowed.

My previous 2012 FPV R Spec insured by Ryno

Earlier that year I had a 2012 FPV GTP (also insured with Ryno) which I wrote off when I had a micro-sleep. I was paid out immediately without argument (full new price).

No problem with insuring the FPV RSpec or the Mustang.

Ian.

Last edited:

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting huge swings in insurance for this thing:

Shannons $2090
Ryno $1818
Famous $1369
AAMI $1751
Budget $1383

Plus a whole lot of others who won't do modifications or agreed value. Looks like it's going to be Famous.

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
I'm getting huge swings in insurance for this thing:

Shannons $2090
Ryno $1818
Famous $1369
AAMI $1751
Budget $1383

Plus a whole lot of others who won't do modifications or agreed value. Looks like it's going to be Famous.
OMG those prices are ridiculous. My renewal with AAMI was a few $ over 1K at a insured value of $78K. I'm a 54 year old driver

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
OMG those prices are ridiculous. My renewal with AAMI was a few $ over 1K at a insured value of $78K. I'm a 54 year old driver
Yes, they are ridiculous. I'm 33 with a good driving and insurance record. I imagine its partly based on my postcode and my age. Interestingly other personal factors like occupation don't seem to come into the quotes. They certainly are a factor in NZ.
Sponsored