Sponsored

Painting GT350 stripes instead of OE vinyl?

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Hey guys,
I'm still shopping for a GT350 and have also read the threads regarding installs of aftermarket stripes and their quality possibly being even better than OEM. I would like a striped car, but I'm wondering if I come across a non-striped one whether I would be better off just having the stripes painted in the OE style. I understand in the end this may end up costing several thousand more than the vinyl plus install, but I would have a higher quality longer lasting finish. Is there something I'm missing? I have searched, but haven't come across much in regards to anyone having the original style stripes painted on a GT350.

Thanks
Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Hey guys,
I'm still shopping for a GT350 and have also read the threads regarding installs of aftermarket stripes and their quality possibly being even better than OEM. I would like a striped car, but I'm wondering if I come across a non-striped one whether I would be better off just having the stripes painted in the OE style. I understand in the end this may end up costing several thousand more than the vinyl plus install, but I would have a higher quality longer lasting finish. Is there something I'm missing? I have searched, but haven't come across much in regards to anyone having the original style stripes painted on a GT350.

Thanks
I'm speaking from experience.
To paint the stripes on you would have to sand down the front bumper, hood, roof, deck lid and rear bumper. Then lay out the stripes. Depending on the style of stripe you want, you may have to go with two colors. For example, if you wanted gloss black with white pin stripe you would first paint the white then mask off the white for the pin stripe width. Then paint the black. Once that is finished you would then clear the top of the car. But remember, the roof and c pillars tie into the 1/4 panel. Some people would tape off the roof at the roof seam and that would leave a tape edge. Something I would avoid.
Once the clear is dried you will have to wet sand the areas you cleared and rub it all out. By that time you'll have a better looking paint job on the top of the car compared to the sides. Also remember it's only as good as the person painting it.

Or if you wanted a matte black stripe, you'll have to tape off the area you want to stripe and sand that area. Then mask off the whole car then lay the paint. One thing to remember, if they get dust in the matte finish you can not buff it out. You either live with it or sand it and apply another coat. If you want say a gloss red pin stripe and matte black stripe you'll lay down the red first then mask it for the matte black.

Or you can paint the matte black then pin stripe the red pin stripe free hand or with a pin stripe wheel, or spray it on.

I've painted many stripes before, the vinyl is definitely cheaper and faster. But nothing beats painted. "When done right"

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Thanks for such a detailed reply Voodoo. Do you have any idea the ballpark I'd expect to pay to have it "done right"?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Thanks for such a detailed reply Voodoo. Do you have any idea the ballpark I'd expect to pay to have it "done right"?
Depending on colors and paint brand (we use ppg and house of color) gloss or matte, with or without pin stripe, with or without clear. As I said matte would be less cost because you do not have to clear the car. Gloss would be more because you have more labor and material.
Depending on your area also. But ball park for gloss roughly $1800.00 to $3000.00.
Ball park for matte $1500.00 to $2000.00.

Again this all depends on the shop, materials, stripe type (gloss or matte), with or without pin stripe, if it's a with pin stripe it depends on how they apply it, if its gloss stripes you'll have to rub out pretty much the whole car. If this was me doing my own car, I'd paint the stripes on with pin stripe and reclear the whole entire car. But that's me. The reason why I'd reclear the whole car is the factory clear coat is very thin and if you rub out the whole areas where you laid the stripes that part is going to be smooth and without orange peel. Unless you match the factor orange peel. On a complete repaint or reclear we remove every single piece from the car. Meaning lights, emblems, trim, handles, wheel well liners, wheels, bumpers, rocker skirts, glass etc. it all just depends on how far and how much you want to pay. Either way you go they shouldn't cut corners.

Another option is to apply the vinyl stripes and clear over them. This has been done a lot on many cars, boats and especially motorcycle.

jefeinlb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Mine came with the black racing stripes and I had paint protection film applied to them by the guy that did the front of my car and the front of my quarter panels. I'm much happier with them now, I feel like they will hold up way better and they are much easier to clean, no streaks or smudges.
Sponsored