Sponsored

Focus RS exhaust

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Focus RS has the same sort of headifold we do, so I'm going to guess it has to do with the exhaust being a single pipe all the way back instead of splitting into two pipes before the axle.
Sponsored

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
My money is the turbo. It's a bigger turbo so it's deeper, a little more throaty. Check out vids of people with upgraded turbskies, their exhaust is much better than an equal exhaust on stock

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Focus RS has the same sort of headifold we do, so I'm going to guess it has to do with the exhaust being a single pipe all the way back instead of splitting into two pipes before the axle.
I think you are right, the FoRS is single all the way to the back where it has a Ginormous muffler that has a tip on either side. No other resonators in the system, Ford for some reason thought Mustang Drivers wouldn't like to hear turbo sounds and did their damnedest to try and make the EBM sound like an NA car and failed miserably. They wanted the FoRS to sound like the relatively large displacement (for a turbo 4) engine that we have and tuned cam timing the exhaust, intake and BOV accordingly.

My money is the turbo. It's a bigger turbo so it's deeper, a little more throaty. Check out vids of people with upgraded turbskies, their exhaust is much better than an equal exhaust on stock
That was a good guess but the turbos are identical on the exhaust side,
Ecoboost%20turbine%20wheel%20comparisonr-1000x1000.jpg

it is only just 2.4mm bigger on the compressor side which will not affect tone.
Ecoboost%20wheel%20comparison-1000x1000.jpg

But you are absolutely correct all the big turbo EBMs typically sound better than stock turbo ones with the same exhaust system.

DontoMelbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future EB Vert
The RS appears to have an exhaust valve that actives, I'm guessing, at a certain rpm (1:50 of video below). I didn't know that. So it's a single exhaust until it opens then its a short dual from the muffler. That along with a much different exhaust config certainly will certainly change the sound characteristics.

[ame]

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
The RS appears to have an exhaust valve that actives, I'm guessing, at a certain rpm (1:50 of video below). I didn't know that. So it's a single exhaust until it opens then its a short dual from the muffler. That along with a much different exhaust config certainly will certainly change the sound characteristics.

I know one company came out with a single exhaust for the EB. Wonder how it would compare.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I think you are right, the FoRS is single all the way to the back where it has a Ginormous muffler that has a tip on either side. No other resonators in the system, Ford for some reason thought Mustang Drivers wouldn't like to hear turbo sounds and did their damnedest to try and make the EBM sound like an NA car and failed miserably. They wanted the FoRS to sound like the relatively large displacement (for a turbo 4) engine that we have and tuned cam timing the exhaust, intake and BOV accordingly.

That was a good guess but the turbos are identical on the exhaust side,
Ecoboost%20turbine%20wheel%20comparisonr-1000x1000.jpg

it is only just 2.4mm bigger on the compressor side which will not affect tone.
Ecoboost%20wheel%20comparison-1000x1000.jpg

But you are absolutely correct all the big turbo EBMs typically sound better than stock turbo ones with the same exhaust system.

:coolphotos:
Hadn't seen these pictures before very cool and informative. I always thought the turbine and compressor blades were more curved shape like a centrifugal fan, or my little key chain model. :thumbsup:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I know one company came out with a single exhaust for the EB. Wonder how it would compare.
Single back then splits off at the bumper? Or single all the way back so you have one pipe coming out of the valence? I think the latter would look weird.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Just visit your local NMRA event and walk around. Every option will be there to be heard.

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
The RS sounds different probably because it has a different head, different cams, different turbo, different exhaust with electric valve, etc. The only real similarity in the motors is they are the same size, but the block is sleeved, different rods and pistons as well as other components so they pretty much are a completely different motor which is why they dont sound the same.

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The RS sounds different probably because it has a different head, different cams, different turbo, different exhaust with electric valve, etc. The only real similarity in the motors is they are the same size, but the block is sleeved, different rods and pistons as well as other components so they pretty much are a completely different motor which is why they dont sound the same.
Nu Uhn! It saiz 2.3L!

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
To be honest, the video of the mags on the rs sounds so much like the EBM. Honestly there isn't much difference when both cars have an exhaust. Put a 7670 on an EBM and it sounds WAY better than the rs.

However this focus destroys all of us.
[ame]

OP
OP

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
Can you site some sources? Curious to know the specifics of the RS motor, but cant seem to find too much online.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/how-ford-secretly-reinvented-the-mustangs-ecoboost-after-not-meeting-focus-rs-specs-video-101563.html#

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2016-ford-focus-rs-all-the-tech-details-you-could-ever-want/

Introduction

The exclusive variant of the newly developed and specially adapted 2.3liter EcoBoost gasoline engine develops 257 kW (350 PS).

The following components have been modified:

Cylinder Head
-New aluminum alloy (AS7GU) to improve the heat dissipation.

Cylinder head gasket

Exhaust side valve springs
-The strength of the valve springs has been reinforced

Engine block
-New, high strength engine block to reduce wear at high temperatures and under high loads.
-Machined cylinder block to make space for the transfer case

Flywheel
-Redesigned dual mass flywheel to absorb vibrations and other undesired NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) error states
-Modified DW10F clutch with 'TAC' (Travel Adjusted Clutch) technology enables higher overboost torques and is automatically adapted to the wear

Crankshaft pulley
-The pulley is specially adapted to the RS engine

TC including connections
-The TC is equipped with a new turbine and a larger compressor wheel (2.3622 in (60 mm) to 2.4803 in (63 mm)). This permits a higher boost pressure and ensures improved aerodynamics
Crankcase ventilation
-The flow rate has been increased from 17 liters per minute to 45 liters per minute

Oil filter adapter seal
-A new, synthetic oil is used for the 2.3L EcoBoost for improved lubrication and durability

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
How dare they improve the PCV system and use full Synthetic oil. Syn-blend is perfectly fine and nothing is wrong with our PCV system
:crazy:
Sponsored