Sponsored

Hard Launching on stock clutch & driveshaft?

VAGunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Heading out for a Drag day on June 20th and this question has been eating away at me, so figured I would post it up and see what you all think.

I have the set-up listed below on my 15' Mustang MT-82 currently and trying to determine how hard I can safely launch the car with the clutch and driveshaft still being stock?

The car is not my DD and I will be doing a Tremec Magnum XL swap in the near future (won't have time prior to the 20th), so if I roast the clutch or break something its not the end of the world but I would certainly prefer not to.

Can I launch the car as hard as the tires will allow, or is that going to be a receipt for ending my drag day quickly?

Current Set-Up:
-2015 GT with 3.31 gears.
-2.9l Whipple Stage 2 w/ 3.625 pulley
-Billet Crank Sprocket and Oil Pump Gears installed
-Driveshaft shop 800hp half-shafts
-Lethal Performance Street/Strip 600+hp suspension package (Drag springs, Cradle lockout, LCA Bushings, Vi-King Adjustable Rear shocks, Verticle Links, etc.)
-Running straight Sunoco 260 GT Plus fuel (104 octane)
-First few passes will be done on my Nitto NT555 G2 305/35/20 street tire
-Then slapping on 17” race stars with a MT ET Street S/S 275 drag radial
-Stock clutch & driveshaft for now

Thanks!
Sponsored

WestCyril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 5.0
The ET Street SS is a radial and radials are known to break axles on stick cars at the track. I would recommend you go with a bias ply for the future. It'll be better for stock drivetrain. You can try slipping the clutch or leaving soft to prevent the risk. Depends on how well the track hooks. I wouldn't recommend your first pass be the hardest so you can try different launching techniques. If the car survives the abuse let it eat and see what the stock drivetrain can handle.

OP
OP

VAGunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The ET Street SS is a radial and radials are known to break axles on stick cars at the track. I would recommend you go with a bias ply for the future. It'll be better for stock drivetrain. You can try slipping the clutch or leaving soft to prevent the risk. Depends on how well the track hooks. I wouldn't recommend your first pass be the hardest so you can try different launching techniques. If the car survives the abuse let it eat and see what the stock drivetrain can handle.
Thanks WestCyril! Thanks for the insight on the bias ply...I had read that but couldn't pass up the deal on the ET Streets I came across. I also do have the DSS axles on the car. It's primarily the stock 2-piece driveshaft I am worried about.

Has anyone broken the stock 2-piece driveshaft on a hard launch? If so, what was your set-up and how hard was the launch? Guess I am trying to determine what the common failure point is on these driveshafts.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
I have about 60 to 70 passes on the stock driveshaft with low 1.5 60ft's.Over 700 whp and most runs were done on radials and stock piece has held up so far.I would recommend a driveshaft loop though,just in case:D

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
I would definitely use a driveshaft loop as Tommy V said. The only thing keep that driveshaft connected to the trans is a rubber donut....

Sponsored

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
How did your event turn out? Everything stay intact? I've launched my boosted stang with stock drivetrain and drag radials from 4500 rpm without issue. It didn't feel great though.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
His car held up.fine,i think he needs a little better tire for the power he is at,and possible a clutch in the near future,his car ran good for his first outing with that setup.

OP
OP

VAGunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yup, nothing broke which was good news! Tommy V was a HUGE help schooling me up trying different burnout and launch techniques to try and get the car dialed in. Thanks again!

First launch with the MT S/S tires was just off idle and cut a 1.9x 60' time. Car ran an 11.37 @ 133.

Second was at about 1,800-2,000 rpm's. Hooked fine but bogged a bit for another 1.9x 60'. Ran an 11.38 @ 132

Then tried a string of higher 3,500-4,000 RPM launches. Botched the first 4k RPM launch and all other attempts just blew the tires off and gave me a little hop so I let off on all of them.

Last run I launched at 2,500 RPM and slipped the clutch out quickly which game me a much better 1.79 60' and my bet ET of the day at 11.20 @ 133.8. Still think I can get the 60' and ET down a bit with a little more practice (or just let Tommy V drive the damn thing :) ).

Going to drop down to a 3.5' Pulley & BAP and put some skinnies on up front for the next dray day in Sept. Still planning to swap in a Magnum XL trans over the winter and switch to a full on slick so I can really launch this thing.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
How did those Nittos feel with all that power? I am just curious because I put the 315/35/20 G2's on my ecoboost and am wondering exactly how much overkill they are for me. For the record I did it more so to try and protect my rims and get a better looking fitment than for the grip. I can't really break the rear loose anymore but was curious about people's experience with the Nittos at higher power levels and how the grip felt.

Unfortunately I am not in the big boys club yet obviously. I hope to have a fun project car someday.... Trying to be responsible and save for a house first haha.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Yup, nothing broke which was good news! Tommy V was a HUGE help schooling me up trying different burnout and launch techniques to try and get the car dialed in. Thanks again!

First launch with the MT S/S tires was just off idle and cut a 1.9x 60' time. Car ran an 11.37 @ 133.

Second was at about 1,800-2,000 th rpm's. Hooked fine but bogged a bit for another 1.9x 60'. Ran an 11.38 @ 132

Then tried a string of higher 3,500-4,000 RPM launches. Botched the first 4k RPM launch and all other attempts just blew the tires off and gave me a little hop so I let off on all of them.

Last run I launched at 2,500 RPM and slipped the clutch out quickly which game me a much better 1.79 60' and my bet ET of the day at 11.20 @ 133.8. Still think I can get the 60' and ET down a bit with a little more practice (or just let Tommy V drive the damn thing :) ).

Going to drop down to a 3.5' Pulley & BAP and put some skinnies on up front for the next dray day in Sept. Still planning to swap in a Magnum XL trans over the winter and switch to a full on slick so I can really launch this thing.
Thanks for the kind words man,on the 25th i will have a set of hoosiers 28x10/17 on a set of jms 17x10 wheels,if your still having trouble hooking with those tires your will be more then welcome to do few passes on the slicks.U will def hook with those.If its a nice cool day your car will have no problems running into the 10's,u have mph for a mid 10 easy.

OP
OP

VAGunny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks for the kind words man,on the 25th i will have a set of hoosiers 28x10/17 on a set of jms 17x10 wheels,if your still having trouble hooking with those tires your will be more then welcome to do few passes on the slicks.U will def hook with those.If its a nice cool day your car will have no problems running into the 10's,u have mph for a mid 10 easy.
Tommy, I may very well need to take you up on that. Thank you!! Excited to see your car out there.
Sponsored