Vargas Stage 2+ Initial Impression

Backwoods

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost
This is all good news folks, [MENTION=25185]EAndre[/MENTION] you don't seem very satisfied from what it sounds like lol. And [MENTION=29066]Bull Run[/MENTION] you don't have the affixed tune for this turbo or it's a work in progress still, I gotta run meth next I guess
Sponsored

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
This is all good news folks, [MENTION=25185]EAndre[/MENTION] you don't seem very satisfied from what it sounds like lol. And [MENTION=29066]Bull Run[/MENTION] you don't have the affixed tune for this turbo or it's a work in progress still, I gotta run meth next I guess ��
Got beat by a BMW 335 with a tune & down pipe by a car & also got beat by a Q50 redsport at over 100mph. I just need a little more ha ha

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Yeah you can safely make good power with the stock block
I concur with EAndre and want to add that even with lower power levels within the range of the stock turbo, data logs showed that VS2+ generated noticeably less heat than the stocker. So while it may be possible to squeeze 400 rwhp out of a stock turbo with E85, and I'd be happy with that power level (for now), I need a bigger safety net as I am running 91 Oct + meth (thanks AZ, for taking E85 away) and temperatures around here can get up to 120 degrees during peak summer.

This is another reason why I paid a little extra for the "plus" version, even though VS2 is good up to 500 rwhp, as the "plus" version should generate a little less heat than VS2 while moving same amount of air.

boygenius33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Ecoboost 6M
If only be running 93 octane no e85 here where I live :/ I just wanna make sure the gains are worthwhile

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
This is all good news folks, [MENTION=25185]EAndre[/MENTION] you don't seem very satisfied from what it sounds like lol. And [MENTION=29066]Bull Run[/MENTION] you don't have the affixed tune for this turbo or it's a work in progress still, I gotta run meth next I guess ��
I just have the initial tune that has the same torque target as the stocker tune and with more constrained timing advance limit. My guess is it's safer to start out low and crank it up slowly. I did another data log run this morning and was impressed to find that I made a little more torque even though ambient temperature was about 10 degrees higher than my best run with the stock turbo.

If you have E85 stations nearby, that may be a more effective route to go than WMI. I went that route because I don't have a good source of E85 and 91 Oct gas alone is really limiting the potential.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Got beat by a BMW 335 with a tune & down pipe by a car & also got beat by a Q50 redsport at over 100mph. I just need a little more ha ha
A redsport? I'm surprised they wasted their time. :D

You need a lot more to battle one of those... maybe like 4 more cylinders.

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP

Aren't they only 400hp and almost 4000lbs?Doesnt seem all that impressive to me.

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
Aren't they only 400hp and almost 4000lbs?Doesnt seem all that impressive to me.
They weigh 3850 and it does have 400hp but it's auto so the advantage was on the Q50. I'm also running 93 and my charge temps were stuck over 130 °F after back to back runs I'm sure that was killing me bad

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
Iam auto and 7670 I'll have to find one and give it a run.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
335s and 435s are heavily nerfed from the factory to keep them noncompetitive with M3s, M4s,(basically the same engine with smaller turbos) I can stomp them all day long when stock but a tune does even more for them than it does on this platform, On just a tune they can usually either keep up or are just slightly faster than me me, at full bolt-ons, they are approaching M3-M4 power levels and you can forget about it unless you have Aux fuel and E85 + big turbo. Considering a 435I starts at nearly $50k (nearly double the base price of an EBM) You can go built engine without even reaching invoice price on one.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT

Nothing wrong with some fun runs.

quite unimpressive.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
If only be running 93 octane no e85 here where I live :/ I just wanna make sure the gains are worthwhile
Found the page that shows expected gains with VS2 on stock block with various fuel types:

"Horsepower levels listed are maximums and require a built engine and fuel system to go beyond 425whp. Stock engine can be used up to 425whp, it is suggested to do this with the TUNE+ Port Injection system and a higher grade fuel (E85, Race Gas)

91oct - 345-360whp depending on fuel quality and modifications

93oct - 365-385whp depending on fuel quality and modificatons

E30 - 390-410whp depending on modifications, fuel system will be maxed out."

According to this [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Gobbtq8lFhU[/MEDIA]"]video[/ame], seems like WMI with 50/50 mix comes close to E85 (fuel for the test was more like 40%) in performance.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
How did ya fellas drain your coolant? Just crack the water line to turbo and let it drain by means of that?
I have done my turbo install twice, you can drain the coolant but not a lot really drains from the return or feed lines off the block, about 6 to 8 cups maybe, its quicker to just pull the top line off the block and catch the runoff in a bucket below, then top off your coolant. I only corked my reservoir and moved it aside, and drained only the block side, including the oil feed which dropped maybe a penny sized spot of oil (Mind you the car was sitting till cold so anything major was already settled and cold.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Found the page that shows expected gains with VS2 on stock block with various fuel types:

"Horsepower levels listed are maximums and require a built engine and fuel system to go beyond 425whp. Stock engine can be used up to 425whp, it is suggested to do this with the TUNE+ Port Injection system and a higher grade fuel (E85, Race Gas)

91oct - 345-360whp depending on fuel quality and modifications

93oct - 365-385whp depending on fuel quality and modificatons

E30 - 390-410whp depending on modifications, fuel system will be maxed out."

According to this video, seems like WMI with 50/50 mix comes close to E85 (fuel for the test was more like 40%) in performance.
Any idea what 91+meth would be equivalent to? E30?

Edit: Wow, I completely missed the WMI part, lol.
Sponsored

Last edited: