Sponsored

Vargas Stage 2+ Initial Impression

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Installed VS2+ today on a stock motor with FBO+Meth. I am currently running an initial tune for it, which has the same "Torque Maximum" value as the final tune with stock turbo. I used "LTT Torque Final" values as comparison.

1. Best stock turbo run was made on a much colder day. Charge temp at the beginning of WOT 3rd gear pull for VS2+ was about 24 degrees hotter, but it made about same amount of torque. In comparison, stock turbo lost about 15 ft/lb on runs with similar higher charge temps.

2. During best stock turbo run, charge temp rose 14 degrees from the beginning to end. For VS2+, start and end charge temp was about the same. Note that both runs used WMI.

3. VS2+ should have more lag than stock, but I just can't feel it. Data log shows that both hit peak at about the same time, but note that 3rd gear pulls started at near 3000 RPM.

4. For lower gear acceleration, doing WOT in second gear resulted in traction control kicking in and staying mostly on until I left off the throttle to avoid going 10 over the speed limit. I was on Sport+ (I only use the track mode for 3rd gear data log runs, on long highway on ramps with no cars around me).

5. Not surprisingly, VS2+ can move air without heating it up as much as the stock turbo. While I will be nowhere close to the limits of this turbo on a stock motor, it will lesson the impact when the hot weather hits the Phoenix area.

Definitely a bigger turbo, swapped in a Turbosmart WGA before the isntall.

Looks stock under the head shield, which is great for my sleeper concept.
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Nice! thinking of pulling the trigger on this soon!

Backwoods

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost
Congrats on the big turbo ! I got mines sitting in my room awaiting install, did you re use the factory o-rings ?

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
Congrats on the big turbo ! I got mines sitting in my room awaiting install, did you re use the factory o-rings ?
You could but just changed them they are cheap and it not worth the hassle later if they leak

Sponsored

Backwoods

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost
How did ya fellas drain your coolant? Just crack the water line to turbo and let it drain by means of that?

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
How did ya fellas drain your coolant? Just crack the water line to turbo and let it drain by means of that?
There's a drain cock on the lower passenger side of the radiator. Just open it and let it drain for a while. Trust me, it takes a while.

Backwoods

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost
There's a drain cock on the lower passenger side of the radiator. Just open it and let it drain for a while. Trust me, it takes a while.
Juben I see you just installed yours, nice man and thanks for the location of the drain cock. How was your break in procedure done about bud?

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
You don't have to drain the coolant unless your really want too. I dripped a little removing the lines and zipped tied them above the water line. Oh and the turbo doesn't need a break in! It ready for full boost at install with the proper tune.
IMG_5936.jpg

Backwoods

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost
Sweet see in another post buddy didn't even remove the hard lines from the block must be that easy lol. So the money question how's the performance on 93-94 fellas ?

Sponsored

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
Sweet see in another post buddy didn't even remove the hard lines from the block must be that easy lol. So the money question how's the performance on 93-94 fellas ?
I'm running it on 93 and it fast and all but I'm definitely upgrading to E85. I'm in a hot humid area and 93 is not cutting it for me.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Agreed, it did take some time and remember to open the radiator cap to aid with the draining. I used a tube to collect the coolant into a clean 1 gal jug and reused it.

You'll still get some coolant coming out of the tube. I found that the tube is flexible enough where you can raise it up to stop the flow, but most of it drained out by that time. If I had to do it again, I'll zip tie it like EAndre did.

Just make sure to take care of the coolant tubes first before disconnecting the oil drain tube to avoid pouring coolant into it.

OP
OP
Bull Run

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Took me a few hours as I was also doing an oil change, took my time, and coolant took longer than expected to drain. If I had to do it again, I probably can do it in around an hour with zip tying the coolant tubes method.

I'm using 91 oct + meth. I'm an on an initial tune file which I believe is nurfing this turbo. I'll post final results once I'm done with tuning.

boygenius33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Ecoboost 6M
Do you feel this is worthwhile if you don't plan to build the motor ? I also have a 17 base 3.31 gear 6 speed manual

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
Do you feel this is worthwhile if you don't plan to build the motor ? I also have a 17 base 3.31 gear 6 speed manual
Yeah you can safely make good power with the stock block
Sponsored