Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang
CarPlay is separate setting in the sync setting but if that didn't work turn the car off and wait 15 min. If not, not sure what's wrong.
I just went out and checked again... its been about an hour. Still no go. I *DO* have the android auto though which confuses me. I see no apple icons anywhere or anything that says car play under settings. I have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow to program a second key, maybe Ill ask him then... crap.
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I just went out and checked again... its been about an hour. Still no go. I *DO* have the android auto though which confuses me. I see no apple icons anywhere or anything that says car play under settings. I have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow to program a second key, maybe Ill ask him then... crap.
before i installed my dual port i saw AA only aswell. It wasnt until i got the new port and plugged it in/checked settings was it there. Try a new cable and a different iPhone. I'd show you the settings on where CarPlay is at if I was home. Im at uni right now and all i got is a Honda CRV. :frusty:

on your iphone's carplay setting do you see 'SYNC' on it when plugged in via usb.

Last thing, is your usb cable MFI certified?

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
before i installed my dual port i saw AA only aswell. It wasnt until i got the new port and plugged it in/checked settings was it there. Try a new cable and a different iPhone. I'd show you the settings on where CarPlay is at if I was home. Im at uni right now and all i got is a Honda CRV. :frusty:
I do have the new dual port hub in there. I can try a new cable or phone, that's a good idea. I can also try unplugging that hub and plugging it back in again, maybe the code software needs to be in before the hardware?

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I do have the new dual port hub in there. I can try a new cable or phone, that's a good idea. I can also try unplugging that hub and plugging it back in again, maybe the code software needs to be in before the hardware?
Doubtful. From my understanding carplay is merely hidden until Sync detects a MFI device and then it just unhides it

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doubtful. From my understanding carplay is merely hidden until Sync detects a MFI device and then it just unhides it
Ah, OK. crap. Ill dig up a new cable and maybe try a different phone. Thanks for the tips Freedom

Sponsored

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
Turn the car on first, let the sync system come up, then plug in your phone. You should get messages on both the phone and the car screen to authorize car play.

Bajd98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I am trying to download nav link on a mac. It keeps timing out ... any suggestions?

LaYegua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Ecoboost Premium
Looks like the part is back in stock. My dealer shipped on the 24th and fedex is dropping off at my house tonight!

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Please don't flame me, really just asking a question and hopefully the answer isn't buried somewhere in this 166 page thread. If I have Sync 2 with all the bells and whistles, Nav, big screen, premium sound, rear view, and whatever. What am I really getting if I switched to Sync 3? Is it just Apple Car Play? If so, can someone tell me usage that might separate it from my Sync 2 with built in features?

The reason I ask is while Ford has my car forever to fix the AC, the Expedition they loaned me has Sync 3. I plugged in my iPhone and saw Apple Car Play come up but really didn't see why that would be worth switching to. Am I missing something? If so, I'd like to try it out while I'm steering this ship around.

m.a.s.e

Ninja
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maserecordingstudio.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
Please don't flame me, really just asking a question and hopefully the answer isn't buried somewhere in this 166 page thread. If I have Sync 2 with all the bells and whistles, Nav, big screen, premium sound, rear view, and whatever. What am I really getting if I switched to Sync 3? Is it just Apple Car Play? If so, can someone tell me usage that might separate it from my Sync 2 with built in features?

The reason I ask is while Ford has my car forever to fix the AC, the Expedition they loaned me has Sync 3. I plugged in my iPhone and saw Apple Car Play come up but really didn't see why that would be worth switching to. Am I missing something? If so, I'd like to try it out while I'm steering this ship around.
you get capacitive touch screen
android auto and apple CP.
Apple Maps/Google NAV vs. the crappy built in Televan navigation (and free updates for life)

10 fingers multitouch capacitive screen vs crap press and push touch for sync2.

Sync 3 upgradable via WiFi vs no more updates for sync 2
Sync 3 based on blackberry QNX vs Sync2 dead Microsoft CE technology.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
you get capacitive touch screen
android auto and apple CP.
Apple Maps/Google NAV vs. the crappy built in Televan navigation (and free updates for life)

10 fingers multitouch capacitive screen vs crap press and push touch for sync2.

Sync 3 upgradable via WiFi vs no more updates for sync 2
Sync 3 based on blackberry QNX vs Sync2 dead Microsoft CE technology.
So it sounds more like future/upgrade more than anything. I'm almost positive my Sync 2 has a capacitive screen. You can't use the touch screen if you have normal gloves on no matter how hard you push the screen. With gloves designed for cell phone, barely touch the screen and it works. With no gloves on sometimes I wonder if I ever even touched it actually. So screen is no difference.

I don't have a problem with the Navigation built in except a very good point about paying for the updates. I definitely like that better than buying the chip from Ford for $150 or eBay for $50 once in a while. I would like using the Maps app better than the built in Navigation but not for like $1,700!

As far as upgrades to Sync, I don't care if it's Sync 2 or Sync 3 or Sync 10, I don't trust Ford to provide updates for that anyways. I got almost no updates in my 06 or my 10 Mustangs. I'm not convinced that they'll do any better just because it's Blackberry vs Microsoft. If anything I think Blackberry was almost dead...

I guess I was hoping more there was some great use case that using Sync 3 might be some great experience or features I don't get with Sync 2 and couldn't find any.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
So it sounds more like future/upgrade more than anything. I'm almost positive my Sync 2 has a capacitive screen. You can't use the touch screen if you have normal gloves on no matter how hard you push the screen. With gloves designed for cell phone, barely touch the screen and it works. With no gloves on sometimes I wonder if I ever even touched it actually. So screen is no difference.

I don't have a problem with the Navigation built in except a very good point about paying for the updates. I definitely like that better than buying the chip from Ford for $150 or eBay for $50 once in a while. I would like using the Maps app better than the built in Navigation but not for like $1,700!

As far as upgrades to Sync, I don't care if it's Sync 2 or Sync 3 or Sync 10, I don't trust Ford to provide updates for that anyways. I got almost no updates in my 06 or my 10 Mustangs. I'm not convinced that they'll do any better just because it's Blackberry vs Microsoft. If anything I think Blackberry was almost dead...

I guess I was hoping more there was some great use case that using Sync 3 might be some great experience or features I don't get with Sync 2 and couldn't find any.
The MyFord Touch (Sync 2) screen is definitely a resistive screen (you can tell by the slight 'give' in the screen when you press). It also only supports two touch points, versus the 10 touch points in the Sync 3 screen.

rwyatt85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Am I the only one having weird issues with the new version? My car took the update without incident, but I've been having a couple "polish" issues since then.

First, I get the mess that is Gracenote's album art instead of my embedded album art now. This is with the Options > Media Player settings for "Cover Art Priority = Media Player" and "Use Gracenote = No" both set. This has persisted through two Master Resets and wasn't an issue before the upgrade.

Last night I quick-formatted my USB drive and re-copied my music over to it and now the drive volume displays as a long hexadecimal string (mostly numbers) instead of the normal drive label. Still shows the label on my PC, but not in the car. This also persisted after another Master Reset.

These are only surface issues, but the "WTF" factor is pretty strong.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Am I the only one having weird issues with the new version? My car took the update without incident, but I've been having a couple "polish" issues since then.

First, I get the mess that is Gracenote's album art instead of my embedded album art now. This is with the Options > Media Player settings for "Cover Art Priority = Media Player" and "Use Gracenote = No" both set. This has persisted through two Master Resets and wasn't an issue before the upgrade.

Last night I quick-formatted my USB drive and re-copied my music over to it and now the drive volume displays as a long hexadecimal string (mostly numbers) instead of the normal drive label. Still shows the label on my PC, but not in the car. This also persisted after another Master Reset.

Might be part of the reason the official Version 2 release hasn't been released to the 2016 models yet...

RawisTheGameHhH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Conv't

i hate that grancenote sucks now and wants to display what it wants!!!
Sponsored