Hood corrosion

SkattrBrane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 Race Red
Do I need to put zinc on my car like I do on my boat now?
Sponsored

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
The '05 hoods did that due to iron contamination in the aluminum.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/hood-rust/

Looks like I was correct! Now we just have to figure out how to insulate the hood from the rest of the car!
I think it is a bit early to conclude this is an issue with the same causes as the previous generation hoods. I recognize it could be, however, I understand from a Ford person that the manufacturing process and metal formulation was changed to avoid this, as I mentioned previously.

I'm hoping both the folks who reported this here are able to get some additional insights from a Ford field engineer. If it was me, I'd be asking for more diagnosis before any repair attempt. I feel for both of thsee folks.

I'm familiar with this because my 2010 GT was affected too.

OP
OP
activeGT

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
I feel it has to do with the outer skin to inner frame crimp and sealer.

It seems to only occur in this area and usually at the leading edge.

I just had a buddy with a 2013 do the same thing and the sealer was eliminated after the repair. I will have to see how that is holding up.

Sponsored

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
I think it is a bit early to conclude this is an issue with the same causes as the previous generation hoods. I recognize it could be, however, I understand from a Ford person that the manufacturing process and metal formulation was changed to avoid this, as I mentioned previously.

I'm hoping both the folks who reported this here are able to get some additional insights from a Ford field engineer. If it was me, I'd be asking for more diagnosis before any repair attempt. I feel for both of thsee folks.

I'm familiar with this because my 2010 GT was affected too.
The reason I said it was acting as a sacrificial metal in the first place is because aluminum doesn't corrode... it creates a very thin layer of Al2O3(aluminum oxide) on it that protects it from any corrosion, that's why it is fine to have untreated aluminum exposed to air. The only thing that could logically eat aluminum is galvanic corrosion or contamination with mercury.

grue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Base GT + PP1
thankfully i noticed this on my '13 gt hood, same spot, a month before the 3yr warranty ran out. the body shop guy said it's probably on the passenger side too, and it was! they fixed it. whatever that means. great job on matching the paint too, i mean really good. they told me that last year before the all aluminum f150's came out they had to upgrade or add a new paint booth and set it up some way, cost them a bundle to do it! so i'm hoping it's fixed, just not sure why or how. anyway, it's a trade-in for a '16 now so i'm not concerned about it as much :)

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
The reason I said it was acting as a sacrificial metal in the first place is because aluminum doesn't corrode... it creates a very thin layer of Al2O3(aluminum oxide) on it that protects it from any corrosion, that's why it is fine to have untreated aluminum exposed to air. The only thing that could logically eat aluminum is galvanic corrosion or contamination with mercury.
Right...understood. The bubbling issue was also attributed to "e-coat blowout", which apparently developed over time because of the heat cycles from the engine. The excess e-coat residue was leaching out of the seams and forming the bubbling under the paint.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Any steel in the 'alumium' hood?

When I was ordering my Mustang, the dealer showed me a 2015 F150 pickup.
It had an 'all-aluminum' hood. I pointed out to the dealer the steel hood hinge brackets and asked him about steel-to-aluminum galvanic corrosion. He proceeded to show me that there was synthetic pads placed between the steel hinges and the hood to prevent this. I then asked him how Ford prevented corrosion between the steel hinge bolts and the anchor holes in the hood.
He walked away without answering my question.

Sponsored

grue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Base GT + PP1
is not "galvanic corrosion" in fact corrosion? when two unlike metal are in contact, that is corrosion right?

i have not heard about the e-coat blowout. interesting. i guessed it was something in the welding of the aluminum, using something while welding that contaminated and was a different metal.

anway, i had a 2003 subbie wrx and drove it 3 years with a scratch from a tin can on a high way that was about 4 inches long. i never worried about it because it wouldn't change due to the oxide!

so i thought that at some point the oxidation can progress after an extended period of time and basically turn the aluminum to powder? like 10's of years right?

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Actually it is galvanic corrosion when two dissimilar metals contact with moisture.

gofastguy

NEO Mustang Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT#3040
Come on Ford. I can't believe that 10 years later we still have the same hood paint issue that I had on the '05 vert, '07 Shelby, and 2011. The worst part is that yes it can be fixed under warranty but that this is a temporary fix only and it will eventually return.

H1 GT

Crew Chief
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
15 4C, 97 H1
Aluminum oxidizes very quickly, it won't look corroded at all, to the eye. In a matter of hours it oxidizes and becomes extremely smooth to the touch and paint doesn't like sticking to it. The mustang may be different but this is sometimes a problem when people try to have their H1's repainted.

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
Soooooo picked my car up from the body shop today from where I plowed down Garfield ..... Car looks great now anyways service guy points out the corrosion like I didn't already know so apparently ford knows this is an issue and he even hooked me up with the warranty lady so I could start that process..... So let's see how this goes
Sponsored