How to Replace the Cabin Air Filter

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Just ordered one this morning off Amazon for $15.00 During a long road trip the past two days I was noticing I was coughing and hacking after getting back into the car after being out of it for a while. I've noticed as I get older, pollen allergies are really starting to effect me more. All I can think is after almost 2 years it must be slam full of nasty little things making me ill.

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT

Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I'll keep my eyes open for one of those ATP's. I just installed the Motorcraft last Monday. Once you figure out how to lower the glovebox all the way, it's easier. The "slider" on the right side pops up and come out of the notch and then you pull in on the sides for the stops to clear.
Getting the filter door back into place was the most difficult. The back notch/holder was a booger to click back into place.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I replaced mine yesterday, it helps if you can do this; since I'm a 57 year old male, I'm taking some Advil today....
Haha. I did mine recently, and I'm only 29 and reasonably fit... and yet it was still a challenge. I was definitely sore for a day.

The next time I do the cabin air filter, the passenger seat is coming out. :D

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Haha. I did mine recently, and I'm only 29 and reasonably fit... and yet it was still a challenge. I was definitely sore for a day.

The next time I do the cabin air filter, the passenger seat is coming out. :D
Read my post above, it's really not that hard if you swing the glove box down out of the way. You just have to do a good reach around with the box in the down position. :D

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Read my post above, it's really not that hard if you swing the glove box down out of the way. You just have to do a good reach around with the box in the down position. :D
That's what I did. Unless you know what you're feeling for, you still need to somehow get down there to get a visual where the cabin filter door is.

I hate how ford is burying these under the dash (although the mustang isn't as hard as some other cars). I miss the days where they were easily accessible under the windshield cowl.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I finally got around to replacing my cabin air filter after 18 months and 26k miles. Wow, it REALLY needed it. It was so dark, my first thought, I wondered if it was possibly a charcoal filter! I've stopped by a couple parts stores for about a year trying to get the filter and they never carry them. I figured because the car was new and maybe it's a new filter. I finally just bought it from Ford.

For those that haven't done it yet, take Scott's (ScottsGT) advice and drop the glove compartment, it makes it much easier. When I first read it, I didn't understand but it's VERY easy. When you open the glove compartment, on the right side in the lid you will see where a slide bar attaches to the lid. Just pull it up slightly on that bar from outside the glove compartment on the right side and it will disengage. Pull it out just a little to release the glove compartment. Then there are the 2 rubber stops on each side. Just flex the sides in slightly to disengage those and the lid will drop all the way down. There's even a cutout in the cover back there to get to the filter like it was intended to go in that way. The filter has to drop straight down, that's where you'll have to give the reach-around.

Also for those reading about which bit to use, it is definitely a T-20. Just the way Torx bits are, a T-15 will fit in there and catch. Since it's only in plastic, there isn't enough torque to do damage but if you want to use the correct bit, it's a T-20.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I finally got around to replacing my cabin air filter after 18 months and 26k miles. Wow, it REALLY needed it. It was so dark, my first thought, I wondered if it was possibly a charcoal filter! I've stopped by a couple parts stores for about a year trying to get the filter and they never carry them. I figured because the car was new and maybe it's a new filter. I finally just bought it from Ford.

For those that haven't done it yet, take Scott's (ScottsGT) advice and drop the glove compartment, it makes it much easier. When I first read it, I didn't understand but it's VERY easy. When you open the glove compartment, on the right side in the lid you will see where a slide bar attaches to the lid. Just pull it up slightly on that bar from outside the glove compartment on the right side and it will disengage. Pull it out just a little to release the glove compartment. Then there are the 2 rubber stops on each side. Just flex the sides in slightly to disengage those and the lid will drop all the way down. There's even a cutout in the cover back there to get to the filter like it was intended to go in that way. The filter has to drop straight down, that's where you'll have to give the reach-around.

Also for those reading about which bit to use, it is definitely a T-20. Just the way Torx bits are, a T-15 will fit in there and catch. Since it's only in plastic, there isn't enough torque to do damage but if you want to use the correct bit, it's a T-20.
I'm sure you are correct on the torx bit, but I tried to put in a T-20 after reading the posts and was unable to fit it in the hole. I swear I got a smaller bolt head on mine.:frusty:

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
here's a vid of it

being 6 foot and 250lbs, i wont even try to attempt this.

[ame]

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Wow, that was fun. I sat backwards on the passenger seat, legs over the seatback/headrest, head in the footwell. Glad I only have to do that every 20K miles.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
yep, not gonna happen for me, lol.

i wish they left it in the engine bay.

xraystyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium, Magnetic
I did mine last weekend. Car has 18,000 miles on it. The filter came out dirty as hell and had frickin' pine needles in it.

2016-11-27_13.58.38.jpg

Glad I changed it out. I sprang for one that that has activated carbon in it to cut down on stank. This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IW17KQA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I suppose it's working seeing as how I haven't noticed any stank yet this week. So far so good.

I can confirm it was a Torx T-20 screw on mine. I dropped the glovebox to get to it, and it was still a decent pain in the ass. I wouldn't even attempt crawling into the footwell to get to it.
Sponsored