Sponsored

Need some Drag help

Jrwimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT Competition Orange
I go almost every week to the track near me, it's only a 1/8th track but the best time I can get is a 8.9 @ 82-83, definitely want to to better without buying a procharger ect and it seems like it's possible but I'm not sure how

Currently I'm running

2016 PP GT
Corsa cat back
BMR rear toe links and vertical links
Barton shifter

Running on 19" 305 nitto invos

I have about 2000$-3000$ to spend, what's the best option?

I spin through second gear.

A tune? Drag radials?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jrwimmer

Jrwimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to post, I have a manual, I'm good at launching, usually .5xxx and I slam through gears with this Barton shifter so that's not my issue,

Thanks again

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Tune and tires will work wonders. I have JLT/catback/Lund E85 and run 7.9 @ 91 on street tires. Tune will wake it up and get rid of the clutch protection and the tires will make up for spinning at launch and on the 1-2 shift. Mine spins bad on the 1-2 and I have to try and shift earlier or pedal the spin a bit.

Matt

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
If I was trying to get the lowest ET's, these would be my next mods.....

Ditch the Barton for an MGW, install a hardened clutch cable, 1pc driveshaft, dss axles, and a tune from Ken Bjonnes, get everything from beefcake except the tune. I'd also get a set of Welds 18x5/17x10's with MT R's. I went 7.4's at 93mph in my 12 Boss & 14GT with similar mods (longtubes). Good luck!

OP
OP
Jrwimmer

Jrwimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does a tune work? You just buy the tuner plug it in? Sorry new to this!

Also could someone tell me the exact tires and rims to buy, getting confused on whether or not I want slicks or drag radials. And the size.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jrwimmer

Jrwimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My car is also lowered 1" on eibachs

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Get some slicks and a tune. I run hoosier's and pp2 tune. I back into the water box, light them up enough that smoke starts rolling off, let off brake and roll out of burnout, stage, Rev to 5k and let clutch out when I see the last yellow light. I'm shifting just over 7k. I would recommend running skinnies. Here's a pic of my best run so far. I'm in the left lane and a new zl1 is the looser in the right lane!:first:
20170609_190700_resized-2.jpg

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Before you do anything else. Get some sticky tires! Biggest improvement you can make at the track at almost any price.

Jaehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
what's ur 60 ft time? i don't think u need tires yet.. with 305 nittos u should be good for 1.7-1.8 unless the surface is that bad

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Tires are great but wont do much when clutch assistance shuts you down. It used to kill me on street tires and got worse with some sub-par Nitto NT555r's. With the tune now I dont have that garbage holding me back and NOW I can look for some traction.

Matt

Sponsored

Rhamlinii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronald
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (Base)
Intake, header, e85, tune, thermostat, tire.

codywilson3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Gt
Tires are great but wont do much when clutch assistance shuts you down. It used to kill me on street tires and got worse with some sub-par Nitto NT555r's. With the tune now I dont have that garbage holding me back and NOW I can look for some traction.

Matt
i am also new and just bought a lund tune. what is the clutch assistance? This is my first manual, so will I burn the clutch up easier now? Especially since i taught myself how to drive a stick?

iketh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
is this at high elevation? I was doing 8.4 @ 89-90 only a tune at 89 octane testing the engine and factory 235/50/18... 82mph sounds too low to be just the tune

[ame]

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
Here's my $.02. Get a tune (custom not just the one that comes with the tuner) This will maximize the performance for YOUR car where you are located. Since you are manual trans you will want a bias ply tire. Mickey Thompson ET Street R are AWESOME. A bias ply tire will load up and minimize shock to the drivetrain saving your clutch and trans from some abuse. A Tune and Tires will make a huge difference. If you want to take it further start adding suspension. With an IRS car less squat is better. When the car squats you are loosing momentum.
Sponsored