Sponsored

State(MD)Emissions not reading OBD

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
I've been tuned with SCT for years(no recent changes to anything). Last week I tried a self service emissions kiosk. It said the car "wasn't ready to be tested". I'm thinking its tune related, so I reflashed to stock, drove it for a week and retested at a "full service" facility and basically got the same thing... they're not able to read the OBD. Now I'm thinking I just didn't drive it long enough after reflashing to stock for the OBD to reset. Could it be something else?
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Yea after reflashing it,it takes awhile for monitors to run a test and pass.Keep the stock tune in and u can use global obd2 app to check the monitors before u go and make sure they are ready.

OP
OP
doulos4jc

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Yea after reflashing it,it takes awhile for monitors to run a test and pass.Keep the stock tune in and u can use global obd2 app to check the monitors before u go and make sure they are ready.
Thanks! Been a while Tommy, hope you and your car are good. What are you doing lurking in ecoboost sub forums?!? Lol

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Thanks! Been a while Tommy, hope you and your car are good. What are you doing lurking in ecoboost sub forums?!? Lol
Lol seen your post bud so figured i give u some help.Cars running great,10.6 @133mph with a procharger.The eco,s are still a stang brother,at least thats how i see it..Let me know how it goes with the emissions,i have a snapon modis and check some things out for u if the monitors dont set.

OP
OP
doulos4jc

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
On the way to work this morning I get a check engine light...ugh! I'll see what it is and report back.***edit*** code thrown P0420

Last edited:

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Do you have an OBD2 adapter? If so, you can use one of the many OBD phone apps to see if your monitors are ready for emissions testing. If your battery dies or get very low or if you reflash, you'll have to drive it for a while depending on how you drive the car. Certainly the CEL could be an underlying problem too.

OP
OP
doulos4jc

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Do you have an OBD2 adapter? If so, you can use one of the many OBD phone apps to see if your monitors are ready for emissions testing. If your battery dies or get very low or if you reflash, you'll have to drive it for a while depending on how you drive the car. Certainly the CEL could be an underlying problem too.
Sorry that my original post wasn't specific on my mods. I've got an intercooler and catted downpipe. Probably gonna put the stock downpipe back on...that should take care of everything. I assumed a high flow cat was enough of a cat to pass emissions...guess not.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Sorry that my original post wasn't specific on my mods. I've got an intercooler and catted downpipe. Probably gonna put the stock downpipe back on...that should take care of everything. I assumed a high flow cat was enough of a cat to pass emissions...guess not.
That could be the problem but I'd wait and see what the codes tell you. I've had aftermarket high flow cats on all of my cars and never once had a problem with emissions (in MD). However none of my other cars were 4 cyl turbos and I'm learning they are very different.

Either way, if you have an OBD2 app and adapter, reading the monitor state is very handy otherwise there's no way to tell if it's ready or not. I drove my car for 2 weeks and it didn't clear because I wasn't hitting one of the conditions it was looking for. Just going back in to see if it's ready is a PITA. The idiot at the emissions inspection station told me just drive it in and out of your driveway for a few days and it will pass, that is definitely not true.

OP
OP
doulos4jc

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Where can I get a OBD2 adapter? Thx

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I personally really like PLX's Kiwi 3 but it's a little expensive, most of the good ones are though. This one works with Android and Apple, has an automatic shutoff so you can leave it plugged in and it won't draw power. No hitting buttons to turn it on or anything. You can literally get in the car start it, open the app and depending on the app, it will auto connect in just a few seconds and you're going. PLX is about to release an app too. I'm one of the beta testers and it looks great! It should be available soon.

For the monitors today I have a couple other apps I use, OBD Fusion and Dash Command. For both of those, I bought the enhanced PID package for about $10. With Dash Command, I had to buy the enhanced PIDs for the 2014 Mustang GT so I could have IAT2 to read the temps after the intercooler that are actually being used for combustion. Here is a pic from OBD Fusion and one from Dash Command showing the monitors. Notice OBD Fusion actually lets you select your state so it knows which monitors will be looked for. I like OBD Fusion better but the interface on Dash Command looks nicer.
OBDFusion.jpg
DashCommand.jpg

Sponsored

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
I am in Maryland (Rockville) and have both Kiwi 3 and OBD Fusion. Let me know if you need help..

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I am in Maryland (Rockville) and have both Kiwi 3 and OBD Fusion. Let me know if you need help..
Have you heard about the Kiwi app yet? I'm really looking forward to it, hoping that the adapter and app will have the best performance together. It helps us that I'm one of the beta testers since I have a 15 EB. That way they are getting feedback on anything that's not working with our car or needs improvement. Right now we are only looking at a very limited part of the app but I love the way it looks. You can see more about it here: Kiwi 6-in-1 OBDII App for Kiwi 3 and MultiGauge Link (APPLE/ANDROID). It is scheduled to be released this summer.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
When we had emission we could get them to put the vehicle n the rollers and stick a sniffer up the tailpipe if it wouldn't pass the OBD2 test. The testers would yell, scream, throw a temper tantrum and go get mommy.. ..er.. ..the manager but it was another option for passing
Sponsored