Sponsored

Hood corrosion

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
No vehicle manufacturer has a life time body corrosion warranty ... yeah, it sucks but that's the way it is unfortunately. All someone can do is bug Ford about it if outside the warranty period and see if they will fix it outside warranty. IMO, if it doesn't show up in 5 years it probably won't show up after that. Keep the seam around the hood clean and waxed might help in the long run.
Sponsored

gtaindetail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ya I totally understand a limit on the warranty. That said, if this is a known, long time issue (as it appears to be), there has to be a better solution than we will paint your hood two or three times under warranty then you can take a hike. :D I doubt it, but I wonder if putting paint protection film over the edge of the seam may help... doubtful since it's an air and water thing, but doubt it'd hurt.

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
This is what mine looked like about a dime size bubble and they are redoing the whole hood. I pick the car up this evening not sure what kind of warranty they are going to give me yet on the new paint job but I hope it never bubbles up again because I plan on paying this car off and keeping it.

jPDQ96KVdD8AeblK20SlxbVnfSr0p1zC_mAjOSGhPVym6d0k93-A1HUWW470bU3rEwhPJo_S8idXopbZLe=w1267-h950-no.png

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
This is what mine looked like about a dime size bubble and they are redoing the whole hood. I pick the car up this evening not sure what kind of warranty they are going to give me yet on the new paint job but I hope it never bubbles up again because I plan on paying this car off and keeping it.

jPDQ96KVdD8AeblK20SlxbVnfSr0p1zC_mAjOSGhPVym6d0k93-A1HUWW470bU3rEwhPJo_S8idXopbZLe=w1267-h950-no.png
The problem is that the corrosion is galvanic. It's a production error in the aluminium. This means that repainting isn't solving the problem. A new hood is what you need. I had some on the very edge of my trunk close to the decklid.

Bringing it in today to get them to look at the trunk hitting tail lights, small part of the rear bumper, the corrosion, and clicking/ticking under moderate acceleration when the car isn't 100% warmed up.

This car is losing its charm real quick. Considering they recently replaced my intake manifold for the runner valves sticking.

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
The problem is that the corrosion is galvanic. It's a production error in the aluminium. This means that repainting isn't solving the problem. A new hood is what you need. I had some on the very edge of my trunk close to the decklid.

Bringing it in today to get them to look at the trunk hitting tail lights, small part of the rear bumper, the corrosion, and clicking/ticking under moderate acceleration when the car isn't 100% warmed up.

This car is losing its charm real quick. Considering they recently replaced my intake manifold for the runner valves sticking.
Well that's discouraging :frusty:

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Well that's discouraging :frusty:
Sorry don't mean to be a downer. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll fix your issue.
The biggest discouragement should come from the fact that this has been a known issue to Ford for well over 10 years and they haven't done anything to fix it. The fact that they said they changed production method is a lie. It wouldn't keep happening in such large numbers if it was true. I don't know of any other car company that has this issue with aluminum hoods.

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD
Sorry don't mean to be a downer. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll fix your issue.
The biggest discouragement should come from the fact that this has been a known issue to Ford for well over 10 years and they haven't done anything to fix it. The fact that they said they changed production method is a lie. It wouldn't keep happening in such large numbers if it was true. I don't know of any other car company that has this issue with aluminum hoods.
I agree especially the fact that it's still happening. A guy at work has a 13MY GT and the end of his hood is loaded with those bubbles like I have and it looks terrible. If it comes back I don't know what I'll do unless my extended warranty thru ford will cover it.

:mad:

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I agree especially the fact that it's still happening. A guy at work has a 13MY GT and the end of his hood is loaded with those bubbles like I have and it looks terrible. If it comes back I don't know what I'll do unless my extended warranty thru ford will cover it.

:mad:
I'd hope that when they repaint it, if it happens again, they fix it under their own warranty. It'd be insane if they say "we fixed it before, but tough luck on it happening again."

That's why I'm bringing my car in for any small problem now. I want it well documented that I found these issues well within my warranty period. If I'll have this car after 36k miles is a different story.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it comes back I don't know what I'll do unless my extended warranty thru ford will cover it.
This is from the Ford PremiumCare extended warranty terms and conditions in the section describing what's not covered. I doubt Ford would cover it on the extended warranty after the base 5 year body warranty that originally came with the car ran out.

"Service adjustments and cleaning, fixed (non-moving) body parts,
bumpers, glass, moldings, ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal,
structural underbody framework, side and rear view mirrors (glass and
housing), water leaks, wind noise, weather strips, wheels, wheel studs,
wheel covers, convertible top and bow, fabric, liners, fasteners, carpets,
dash pad, wiper blades, knobs, trim, upholstery, physical damage or
cosmetic issues."

Last edited:
Reactions: S7N

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd hope that when they repaint it, if it happens again, they fix it under their own warranty. It'd be insane if they say "we fixed it before, but tough luck on it happening again."

That's why I'm bringing my car in for any small problem now. I want it well documented that I found these issues well within my warranty period. If I'll have this car after 36k miles is a different story.
The factory warranty statement on body corrosion is 5 years.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1896428&postcount=85

Update - to clarify, it's only covered for 5 years if the corrosion cases perforation of the sheet metal. The hood corrosion seen on these cars probably isn't going to cause the sheet metal to perforate, so looks like the standard 3yr/36K mile warranty is your warranty limits.

Last edited:

Sponsored

gofastguy

NEO Mustang Club
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT#3040
Just discovered the hood corrosion issue on my 2015. Since it's a known issue going back ten years it just seems wrong to keep going with the touch it up if they complain strategy. This is my 4th Mustang to do this! Kind of makes you fall out of love with your car a bit.

S7N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 KIA STINGER GT1 AWD

Well after almost two weeks I finally picked up my car yesterday. The hood looks good and she wasn't sure but told me it's covered for one or two years and then basically said if it does it again just bring it back lol. They redone the whole hood at least.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo

Looks like I'm the new club member now. 10 days short of owning the car a whole year and just under 17k miles. Looks like I'm taking mine in tomorrow after work.

I had a thought. Given what I've read so far, that the problem will always come back with the new hoods, I wonder if a dealership will just buy an aftermarket (fiberglass) hood and paint and install that instead if the price matches the cost of a Ford hood?

Brianm0121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB GT Premium
Wanted to add in that I just turned my car in today to get my hood fixed. Paint corrosion started small earlier this year and started spreading. As soon as I called the Ford collision shop to set up an appointment the person knew exactly what the issue was before I could even give any details. They mentioned they deal with the paint corrosion issue a lot especially on the mustangs and explorers. After doing further research it seems wide spread, sad it has been an issue for this many years. Anyone know if it's only covered up to the 3 year/36,000 mile or is there a exception for pairing adhesion?