The big Intercooler thread.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
That's good to hear. Especially at that price. Good deal.

For street driving, could you give me stock vs upgraded numbers? I keep hearing people mention it stays pretty much at ambient.
Here is my thread on both the MAP street and MAP Race cores
The short story is 2 degrees difference charge air temp at 140+mph
By 150mph the charge air temps are identical.

I don't have a log of the stock one, (Swapped it out on the second week I owned the car and didn't bother to save any) but by 130 mph the CATs were ~125 degrees, by 140mph the CATs were 135+ and the car was pulling enough power to make it a struggle to go faster and making me worry about the engine. It took a looong time for the temps to come down too.
I've said it before, the stock intercooler is barely suitable for a stock car driven gently. It cannot even handle a stock car driven aggressively. Any tune is going to be mostly wasted on the stock one. All upgraded intercoolers, including the Mishimoto and some of the no name Chinese ones will work very well on any stock turbo application.
Sponsored

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP 400A 10R80 RTR Spec 5 Widebody
Vehicle Showcase
Could you give some insight as to why you swapped back from the JLT to the OEM box? I'm currently running the stock box with the street Map IC. Living in South TX and not too happy with the temps. Before I consider swapping for a Levels, I wanted to see what others were doing amd why.
Speed & power.

My tuner (www.adamtuned.com) did a Facebook Live video and dyno'd the OEM box back-to-back w/aftermarket intakes, and the OEM box picked up almost 30hp over the aftermarket piece.

With swapping over to the OEM box, drop-in filter, and upgrading to the Levels Race Core (from MAP Street Core) I think we picked up like 5 tenths in the 1/8th mile in the middle of the FL summer.

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All upgraded intercoolers, including the Mishimoto and some of the no name Chinese ones will work very well on any stock turbo application.
We can agree to disagree on this brother, lol.

MAP Street Core was too weak for the FL Summer Heat. I've had a friend with issues w/his Mishimoto keeping up w/the FL Summer Heat as well. I only recommend Levels Race Core to anyone in the hotter climates like FL, TX, CA, etc. if they want to get a real improvement in their CAT's and have the ability to make power all summer long.
9.jpg

Alloy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 EB
We can agree to disagree on this brother, lol.

MAP Street Core was too weak for the FL Summer Heat. I've had a friend with issues w/his Mishimoto keeping up w/the FL Summer Heat as well. I only recommend Levels Race Core to anyone in the hotter climates like FL, TX, CA, etc. if they want to get a real improvement in their CAT's and have the ability to make power all summer long.
I am in the same boat with the heat as I'm located in TX. Yesterday my dash reading was 100 deg. When in slow traffic my IAT was 158 with Map street. While cruising on the highway I was at 109-110. It gets up in temps fairly quick so I was considering the levels race core. I am still only on stock turbo with stock waste gate and in the process of email tuning also with Adam. I probably need to get a waste gate b4 the larger core IC.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
anyone in the hotter climates like FL, TX, CA, etc. if they want to get a real improvement in their CAT's and have the ability to make power all summer long.
You forgot the Humid Swamp lands of South Louisiana :thumbsup:
ETS intercooler works good for me.

Sponsored

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the same boat with the heat as I'm located in TX. Yesterday my dash reading was 100 deg. When in slow traffic my IAT was 158 with Map street. While cruising on the highway I was at 109-110. It gets up in temps fairly quick so I was considering the levels race core. I am still only on stock turbo with stock waste gate and in the process of email tuning also with Adam. I probably need to get a waste gate b4 the larger core IC.
The wastegate is a great, affordable mod. Yet it's only gonna further highlight the need for the larger intercooler. You'll be able to hold more boost for longer periods of time, and the intercooler not being sufficient is going to require the tune to pull timing bc it's getting too hot/hotter quicker.

I'd suggest the upgraded core first, personally. Then add the wastegate.

You forgot the Humid Swamp lands of South Louisiana :thumbsup:
ETS intercooler works good for me.
You right! Lol

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
The wastegate is a great, affordable mod. Yet it's only gonna further highlight the need for the larger intercooler. You'll be able to hold more boost for longer periods of time, and the intercooler not being sufficient is going to require the tune to pull timing bc it's getting too hot/hotter quicker.

I'd suggest the upgraded core first, personally. Then add the wastegate.

You right! Lol
Have you experienced a timing pull? I think I'm noticing this with my stock EB in miami. Seems like hesitation when accelerateing and a strange noise as if you in too high of a gear, like trying to start in 2-3rd gear.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
So...upgrading an intercooler will do nothing for your IAT temperatures. The only thing you are able to do here is isolate external heat from the inlet to the air box, so really a Velossa Tech air duct is about it to reduce those. You need a data logger to see the temps after the intercooler unfortunately (I sure wish Ford had given us a gauge for pre/post intercooler readings).

FWIW, my temps have dropped 30-40 degrees on average switching from the stock IC to a Mishimoto, and while it doesn't recover as fast as what a larger unit would recover, it's loads better than what the stock unit was, and perfectly fine for my daily. A tune should really wake this thing up now :)

MiDiablo

#JustA4Banger
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you experienced a timing pull? I think I'm noticing this with my stock EB in miami. Seems like hesitation when accelerateing and a strange noise as if you in too high of a gear, like trying to start in 2-3rd gear.
On the stock intercooler? All the time! :frusty:

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Anyone running the FP tune? If so, which intercooler did you go with and what gains/temp drops did you see? I read a few posts back the MAP intercooler saw a drop in throttle response (not sure which tune it was running)

Sponsored

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
Has anyone installed the CPE intercooler without removing the bumper?
I think it can be done but I don't think it's worth the headache. The Bumper comes of easily

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
I think it can be done but I don't think it's worth the headache. The Bumper comes of easily
What kind of Charge air temps are you getting in this Miami heat this summer? Any regrets to go bigger on the intercooler?

EAndre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Base 6MT Recaros Sold
What kind of Charge air temps are you getting in this Miami heat this summer? Any regrets to go bigger on the intercooler?
Yeah the CPE is struggling with the humid heat. I generally sit around 135° in the city and on the highway it cools down pretty good and is generally around 10° above ambient. Yeah I should've gone bigger in my opinion but this one still works way better then stock.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Yeah the CPE is struggling with the humid heat. I generally sit around 135° in the city and on the highway it cools down pretty good and is generally around 10° above ambient. Yeah I should've gone bigger in my opinion but this one still works way better then stock.
I don't think you would do much better with a bigger unit. Cooling is all about airflow, if no air is moving across the core there is no cooling effect. The only thing a larger unit would provide would be more rapidly decreasing temps once you start moving a bit faster.
Sponsored