Vehicle(s)
16 EB Premium Guard

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
That contradicts almost every other thread about the first mod being replace your intercooler. Is the stock one suddenly good?
It sure as hell isnt... and that mountune one is looking like a killer deal right now.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
That contradicts almost every other thread about the first mod being replace your intercooler. Is the stock one suddenly good?
No, the stock intercooler isn't good, it's abysmal. It's the second mod I'd recommend for any EB right after the oil catch can even for a bone stock car. Several people including myself did data logs showing how bad the stock intercooler was and the improvement depending on which aftermarket intercooler you went with.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
This intercooler is cheaper because it's a tube and fin instead of bar and plate.

Also, regarding bigger surface area versus thicker core.
More surface area means more cooling power. However, a larger surface area is favored over a thicker core. A larger surface area provides more cooling face for the ambient air where a thicker core might be less effective. As the core gets thicker, the ambient air traveling through the core is heated by transfer and the farther through the core it travels the hotter it gets. By the time the ambient is at the back side of the unit, it's lost a good percentage of its cooling capacity. Beyond that, thick cores cause an ambient pressure drop, which means less air will make its way to the radiator causing overheating issues.(not in the case of the Mustang, but other cars)
When it comes to area, achieving the maximum height is more beneficial than widening the unit. The main reason for this is pressure drop is greater when the charge air has to travel through longer passage compared to a shorter passage. It should be noted that pressure drop through a longer-passage core can be compensated for, to a certain extent

Some of this is offset because of how our front end is set up.

TheD-List

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
The durability of a tube and fin intercooler, especially in a front mount which is constantly subjected to road debris, can sometimes be an issue. It does not take much of a rock hit to dent or damage one of the tubes.

Obviously the stock intercooler is tube and fin too, so it faces the same pitfalls, but there is something to be said for the durability and longevity of a bar and plate intercooler.

Also, the amount of thermal mass on a bar and plate intercooler is a lot higher. A higher thermal mass will allow the intercooler to heat up less for a given temperature and amount of time than a lower thermal mass. Obviously this too is a double edged sword because if it takes longer to heat up, it'll take longer to cool down too from an elevated temperature. But generally this is advantageous because rarely in a street car are you doing back to back to back to back pulls that would elevate the intercoolers temperature to something unacceptable.

And I want to reaffirm everything Ebm said about surface area vs thickness. There is a reason why car radiators are very large, and very thin, and a similar idea applies to intercoolers.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
The durability of a tube and fin intercooler, especially in a front mount which is constantly subjected to road debris, can sometimes be an issue. It does not take much of a rock hit to dent or damage one of the tubes.

Obviously the stock intercooler is tube and fin too, so it faces the same pitfalls, but there is something to be said for the durability and longevity of a bar and plate intercooler.

Also, the amount of thermal mass on a bar and plate intercooler is a lot higher. A higher thermal mass will allow the intercooler to heat up less for a given temperature and amount of time than a lower thermal mass. Obviously this too is a double edged sword because if it takes longer to heat up, it'll take longer to cool down too from an elevated temperature. But generally this is advantageous because rarely in a street car are you doing back to back to back to back pulls that would elevate the intercoolers temperature to something unacceptable.

And I want to reaffirm everything Ebm said about surface area vs thickness. There is a reason why car radiators are very large, and very thin, and a similar idea applies to intercoolers.
Idk man. She always told me thickness is what counts, not length. Have I been lied to all my life?

Sponsored

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I don't care where you live, you will benefit from ANY intercooler upgrade on these cars. I slapped a mishi IC on an otherwise stock ecoboost, took it out for a drive on a 70 degree day, and immediately noticed the car pulled harder at the top of second and all the way through third gears. Quick data logging showed the aftermarket unit was not getting heat soaked like the stocker did.

At the price the Mountune is right now, it's a steal for anyone not planning on adding 100+ horses to the car in the future. If you are, might want to skip the small intercooler, and go with a much larger unit. Had this been available when I was shopping at the current price, this would be the unit on my car right now.

boost3d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Ecoboost PP
I took the risk and purchased this about 3 weeks ago just because the price was so good, I went to go install it and the air flow sensor does not fit correctly. They didnt supply any hardware so we went to use the factory bolt to put it on and it wouldn't thread, even if it did it wouldn't of mattered because the size the drilled for the sensor was to big and the o ring didnt seat in and was loose which would have caused a boost leak. Luckily their customer support is awesome and they sent me a return label and provided me a full refund.

Unless you want to go through and try to find a working bolt and O Ring I wouldn't recommend buying one.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
A bolt from my box of spare hardware, and a bit of pipe tape, and the sensor fits snug as a bug. No issues with my install.

Ill sell you my Mishimoto IC.

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
A bolt from my box of spare hardware, and a bit of pipe tape, and the sensor fits snug as a bug. No issues with my install.

Ill sell you my Mishimoto IC.
Wish you took a pic of this bolt situation. Any idea of the size and or type.
Sponsored