Sponsored

Preview: Diode Dynamics LED Turn Signal Housings!

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Thanks for posting! Not sure why DD couldn't post a video by now. After seeing these in action, I'm so glad I went with the Opt7 signals. No offense to DD, but I was expecting a more fluid sequence. To me, these look like someone opened the stock housing, stuck in 3 switchback bulbs and made them sequence. They are nice and look good, but I think DD could have put more thought into creating something more unique and fluid. Just my thoughts.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
That's from the Latemodel Cruise-In event. We previewed a pre-production set on our S550 at the show. They are perfectly visible even in direct daylight.

Thanks for posting!

Nick C.
No problem. I would have said they were pre-production but i didn't want to say that without y'all's approval. Even pre production I thought about stealing them off your car when you weren't looking lol.

I WANT THEM SO BAD!!!

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Thanks for posting! Not sure why DD couldn't post a video by now. After seeing these in action, I'm so glad I went with the Opt7 signals. No offense to DD, but I was expecting a more fluid sequence. To me, these look like someone opened the stock housing, stuck in 3 switchback bulbs and made them sequence. They are nice and look good, but I think DD could have put more thought into creating something more unique and fluid. Just my thoughts.
I know you mean - we designed them to mimic the rear tails, by default... the timing is identical to the tails. But before you make your judgement... it is VERY important to note that you can change the speed. This is the "standard" speed, which matches the tail lights. They also have "fast" speed which is much faster, with some tweaks to the code to make it more smooth, to achieve the fluid look you're describing. There's a switch right on the lamp, so you can pick what you want. Or, you can switch the sequencing off and have static turn signal.

This is why we have not posted a video yet, we wanted to fully describe this to show you the three options you get for how the turn signal lights up! Some people like the staggered look of the tails, some people want the faster sequence. With these lamps, you get both options, and can change them up anytime you want!

Nick C.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
From a design standpoint overall, just some more thoughts...

The larger lamp sections are required in order to achieve the brightness and design requirement, to make these legal on-road. From everything that we have seen (pictures always in the shade or overcast...) the competitor's option is not bright enough to be legal on the road as a turn signal, and it is absolutely not a large enough area for the design requirement (22 sq cm of surface area must be illuminated in the first segment).

We can't sacrifice the function, as turn signals are an important safety feature. Ours easily outshine the factory turn signal bulb and meet the design requirements as well.

29vdsva.jpg

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
I know you mean - we designed them to mimic the rear tails, by default... the timing is identical to the tails. But before you make your judgement... it is VERY important to note that you can change the speed. This is the "standard" speed, which matches the tail lights. They also have "fast" speed which is much faster, with some tweaks to the code to make it more smooth, to achieve the fluid look you're describing. There's a switch right on the lamp, so you can pick what you want. Or, you can switch the sequencing off and have static turn signal.

This is why we have not posted a video yet, we wanted to fully describe this to show you the three options you get for how the turn signal lights up! Some people like the staggered look of the tails, some people want the faster sequence. With these lamps, you get both options, and can change them up anytime you want!

Nick C.
I get what you're saying, but simply speeding up the sequence will throw off the "match" to any other sequencing lights on the car (ie DRLs). Did yall request input from enthusiasts about how they'd like the lights to look? Just wondering how many people like the "staggered look of the tails". As for the output, just add more LED's. Maybe I'm being too critical, but I expected more than just the three section housings.

ZackJones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
I like the speed of the turn signal as shown in the video. I think I read they will have the resisters inline so there's no hyper flashing turn signal inside the car, is that correct?

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
I get what you're saying, but simply speeding up the sequence will throw off the "match" to any other sequencing lights on the car (ie DRLs). Did yall request input from enthusiasts about how they'd like the lights to look? Just wondering how many people like the "staggered look of the tails". As for the output, just add more LED's. Maybe I'm being too critical, but I expected more than just the three section housings.
Any sequencing is obviously going to be different if it's not an exact match, so I'm not sure what you mean. It wouldn't match if it had more LEDs. Not everyone has our sequencing DRLs installed. Everyone has factory tail lights installed though, and they may want it to match in style.

We have been collecting feedback about this design since we posted this thread initially months ago. We talk to enthusiasts every day (like right now), and multiple people who work here at Diode are enthusiasts, driving their own Mustangs to work every day. There are plenty of people who like the OEM sequencing look (like the post right above this), and the faster, fluid setting looks very nice with three segments, if you prefer that look. Looking forward to finally showing everyone how it looks.

In any case, this is all designed already... nothing is going to be changing now with this product. If you prefer the "LED strip" look, there's another option on the market that does that - and it looks like you already bought that set (saw your vid, pretty cool!), so I'm really not sure what your interest is here. Our lights are not the same as those, and we're not trying to make them the same. Our goal was to design a turn signal with high output, and true OEM styling, and we feel that we've done a pretty good job. Like any product, ours may not be the choice for everyone, and that's just fine. The whole point of the aftermarket is to make your car more unique, so it's great when there's more options to fit different styles.

Thanks,
Paul

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
I like the speed of the turn signal as shown in the video. I think I read they will have the resisters inline so there's no hyper flashing turn signal inside the car, is that correct?
Yep, no clip-clop or fast flashing! There's resistors built right onto the driver circuitry in the lamp.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
I noticed on the video the housing looks like it still has the textured clear lens that's used for diffusing the omnidirectional incandescent light that comes from the stock lightbulbs. How come you chose to retain this for the LED version?

The reason I'm asking is because it kind of looks like LEDs were stuck into a housing designed for incandescents, rather than a housing built from the ground-up for LEDs (when it's pretty obvious through this thread the turn signals were designed from the ground-up).

I'm really looking forward to the final product release regardless! I'm glad you've positioned yourself different than the others in the market, I think you might have a "mass audience" product here rather than the niche market products of competitors. I see these turn signals appealing to a broader audience.

OP
OP
Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Good question. On the factory lamp and on ours, the horizontal lines in the lens are used to spread the light vertically, to make the square-shaped pattern required for compliance. Without those lines, it's a very "flat" pattern, kind of like a fog light. The lens works together with the reflector to make the full pattern.

But it's also aesthetic. Just like the factory lamp, we did not want to have a clear lens and exposed chrome reflector - we feel that's a very cheap look. You see it a lot on aftermarket lights because totally clear lenses are very cheap to make, it's just one big flat surface in the mold, and they put LEDs pointed directly out. It takes a lot more resources to make and design an optical lens, a proper reflector, and a correct, legal output pattern overall.

So yes, our light here was indeed completely designed for LED from the ground up. But it looks like the factory one because we wanted it to look like a factory one! The goal is "OEM+" or something Ford may have offered as a factory upgrade... not your standard aftermarket light with clear lenses, gaudy shapes in the design, exposed chips, etc. Again, the "OEM+" style is not for everyone, but we hope that it will be a great option for a lot of people.

Appreciate the feedback!

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
Good question. On the factory lamp and on ours, the horizontal lines in the lens are used to spread the light vertically, to make the square-shaped pattern required for compliance. Without those lines, it's a very "flat" pattern, kind of like a fog light. The lens works together with the reflector to make the full pattern.

But it's also aesthetic. Just like the factory lamp, we did not want to have a clear lens and exposed chrome reflector - we feel that's a very cheap look. You see it a lot on aftermarket lights because totally clear lenses are very cheap to make, it's just one big flat surface in the mold, and they put LEDs pointed directly out. It takes a lot more resources to make and design an optical lens, a proper reflector, and a correct, legal output pattern overall.

So yes, our light here was indeed completely designed for LED from the ground up. But it looks like the factory one because we wanted it to look like a factory one! The goal is "OEM+" or something Ford may have offered as a factory upgrade... not your standard aftermarket light with clear lenses, gaudy shapes in the design, exposed chips, etc. Again, the "OEM+" style is not for everyone, but we hope that it will be a great option for a lot of people.

Appreciate the feedback!
This is a great answer - thank you!

Looking forward to the product release.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
Any sequencing is obviously going to be different if it's not an exact match, so I'm not sure what you mean. It wouldn't match if it had more LEDs. Not everyone has our sequencing DRLs installed. Everyone has factory tail lights installed though, and they may want it to match in style.

Thanks,
Paul
You are stating that the sequencing can be sped up, as an option to create a more fluid look. What I'm saying is if someone does this to make them more fluid, then gets the sequencing DRL's, they'll have to settle for the 3 section sequence and lower fluidity if they want them to match. I didn't state it would match with more LED's. I was referring to the light output, as I stated.

I will say although I don't like them, at least they'll be an option. I appreciate the compliment on my setup. It took a lot of work.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
@Diode_Dynamics, Nick, I saw my turn signals reflected in a building window today... please hurry! :hail:
Sponsored