Sponsored

Has anyone installed a keypad?

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Was wondering if anyone has installed a code keypad on a Mustang that has push button start?

I know it's available on other Fords (Fusion, Escape, Explorer..etc).
I'm a long distance runner and used to running with a little cut key while the chunky fob is locked in the car in an Altoids box. Or no key at all (my '10 Milan had the keypad so I locked it in the car.)

I know strange question. Just wondering if anyone as weird as me has thought about this.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
It isn't secure man. They have been producing cars with keypads since the 80s. Old technology really. Imo, it would be a thief's best case scenario other than a completely unlocked car.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
It isn't secure man. They have been producing cars with keypads since the 80s. Old technology really. Imo, it would be a thief's best case scenario other than a completely unlocked car.
I'm not worried about it really. I used the keypad to lock my keys in the car for literally hundreds of runs when I had my Milan. Never had an issue.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Milan does not equal a Mustang. It's a different grade of car when you consider its likelihood to be stolen.

Sponsored

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I'll never understand why it's not an option on the Mustang. Maybe it was for aesthetics in the past but now they can just put a touch pad on the B-pillar that disappears like other Fords.

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
My Lightning has one and I consider it more valuable than my Mustang. I thought I would have needed it on my Mustang but the one touch open and lock is easier.

15dib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I would love to have one too. I used to hide my key in my f150 and just unlock it with the keypad.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Like I said, keypads are old school. Plus, what happens when you have a dead battery? You're screwed.

If I was to put a locking technology in a car, I'd go fingerprint, iris, or voice recognition technology. Those are fairly secure. Plus nobody expects those on a car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I said, keypads are old school. Plus, what happens when you have a dead battery? You're screwed.
Never had a completely drained battery before. And it would have to have drained right after I came back from a run.

So, I'm guessing nobody's put a keypad on a push button Stang...lol.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
well you cant really leave the fob in the care as it is what allows access to the car.. there would have to be a way to disable the fob. but then someone could lock their keys on the car which the mustang wont let you do.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well you cant really leave the fob in the care as it is what allows access to the car.. there would have to be a way to disable the fob. but then someone could lock their keys on the car which the mustang wont let you do.
You can if the signal is blocked. Like putting in an altoids box in the trunk or magnetic bag.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
You can if the signal is blocked. Like putting in an altoids box in the trunk or magnetic bag.
seems sketchy and if the car is stolen i think insurance can deny claim if you left your key in the car.. i believe same police will even charge you.
Sponsored