Sponsored

Whining on manual

peterdee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Mustang GT
Hi all

Has anyone else with a manual transmission noticed a 'whining' noise on open throttle? I've been noticing it over the past week, not loud enough to concern me, but enough to notice. Seems to be loudest on 1st and 2nd, but still noticeable on higher gears.

A couple of minor annoyances I have found are:
1) No global closing of windows. Has global open, why Ford would not give us global close I have idea.
2) To put someone in the back seat, you have to use the electrics to wind the seat forward and back. I'd prefer not to use the electric, just something that will wear out over time. Not that they get used much, but sometimes my daughter wants to come along with us...
3) No option to lock the doors when you start moving.

But these things really are minor, once I hit the start button the smile comes back on my face :)
Sponsored

Polystang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang - Race Red, Manual Fastback GT
Hi all

Has anyone else with a manual transmission noticed a 'whining' noise on open throttle? I've been noticing it over the past week, not loud enough to concern me, but enough to notice. Seems to be loudest on 1st and 2nd, but still noticeable on higher gears.

A couple of minor annoyances I have found are:
1) No global closing of windows. Has global open, why Ford would not give us global close I have idea.
2) To put someone in the back seat, you have to use the electrics to wind the seat forward and back. I'd prefer not to use the electric, just something that will wear out over time. Not that they get used much, but sometimes my daughter wants to come along with us...
3) No option to lock the doors when you start moving.

But these things really are minor, once I hit the start button the smile comes back on my face :)

Agree, minor annoyances, on top of several others:frusty:.
However, mine does have global or one touch closing of windows. Not sure why yours shouldn't have that as well.
No whining in any of my gears that I have noticed.

Last edited:
OP
OP

peterdee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Mustang GT
Agree, minor annoyances, on top of several others:frusty:.
However, mine does have global or one touch closing of windows. Not sure why yours shouldn't have that as well.
No whining in any of my gears that I have noticed.
How do you do the global closing of windows? I've tried holding down the remote key, locking then holding down, doesn't do it.

Another couple of annoyances:
1) My iPhone cannot send text messages
2) When plugging in iPhone to listen to music, the play button doesn't work on the car. I can pause it, but to start again I have to use the iPhone. Works perfectly on Bluetooth streaming. One thing I HAVE liked is then plugged in, it actually shows the album art !!

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I only ever hear the whining when my partner is in the car.

It always comes from the front passenger side and is relentless - I have learnt just to tune out.

Polystang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang - Race Red, Manual Fastback GT
How do you do the global closing of windows? I've tried holding down the remote key, locking then holding down, doesn't do it.

Another couple of annoyances:
1) My iPhone cannot send text messages
2) When plugging in iPhone to listen to music, the play button doesn't work on the car. I can pause it, but to start again I have to use the iPhone. Works perfectly on Bluetooth streaming. One thing I HAVE liked is then plugged in, it actually shows the album art !!

Hi Peter, I'm afraid I misunderstood what you meant in your earlier post. I too only have global windows opening and not closing with the remote. Apparently not enabled by Ford US although I read somewhere that can be done with a modification in the computer system:shrug:.
I don't own an iPhone so can't comment on your issues with playing music. I have a Windows phone and it plays music through the USB and Bluetooth just fine.

Sponsored

knaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I think I know what you mean, I can hear similar noise, not sure if it's from transmission or exhaust (only slightly noticeable with open throttle, but gotta listen for it).

I was driving it a bit today and it seemed to go away (or I stopped noticing it), maybe it's still breaking in? I'm only 190km on my car by now :)

Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Stang!
If it is an IPhone try a soft reset of the phone. I had the same problem, started after a phone call while I was listening to music through the phone. After that you could only ever start a track playing from the phone screen and it was really slow and clunky and came up with unknown track and so on. Been perfect since the reset.

OP
OP

peterdee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Mustang GT
If it is an IPhone try a soft reset of the phone. I had the same problem, started after a phone call while I was listening to music through the phone. After that you could only ever start a track playing from the phone screen and it was really slow and clunky and came up with unknown track and so on. Been perfect since the reset.
Funny, I tried it again today, and it worked perfectly. I think when I tried it yesterday it was still indexing the songs, maybe that played a part?

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
Hi [MENTION=20109]peterdee[/MENTION], yep, lots of tranny tunnel noise and I'm pretty sure it's normal.

What about a very slight clutch rattle? Do any of you get that?

When releasing the clutch there's a very brief rattle noise. I hear it most prominently in parking garages that have walls where the noise bounces off the walls.

Sponsored
OP
OP

peterdee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Mustang GT
Hi [MENTION=20109]peterdee[/MENTION], yep, lots of tranny tunnel noise and I'm pretty sure it's normal.

When releasing the clutch there's a very brief rattle noise. I hear it most prominently in parking garages that have walls where the noise bounces off the walls.
I haven't noticed any clutch rattle, i'll try to listen for it today.

OP
OP

peterdee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Mustang GT

I didn't hear any clutch rattle today

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
I didn't hear any clutch rattle today
It happens when i'm taking off in 1st, right at the end of clutch pedal travel release. Very slight.

I will mention it at the 1 month/3000 km checkup. Thanks for checking!

OP
OP

peterdee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard Mustang GT
It happens when i'm taking off in 1st, right at the end of clutch pedal travel release. Very slight.

I will mention it at the 1 month/3000 km checkup. Thanks for checking!
No probs.

Has anyone here worked out how to draw fresh outside air without running the airconditioner? Seems to me that no matter how I play with the dials, unless the air con is running the air pumped into the cabin is always warm no matter what I set the temperature to.

dreabc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No probs.

Has anyone here worked out how to draw fresh outside air without running the airconditioner? Seems to me that no matter how I play with the dials, unless the air con is running the air pumped into the cabin is always warm no matter what I set the temperature to.
Yeah ive noticed this as well, particularly with a lot of slow speed, stop start driving. I suspect the air is coming from outside but its taking a path thats getting a lot of heat soak. Im actually shocked at the heat soak in general. Everything gets hot, will be interesting in summer thats for sure.

BTW I also have gearbox whine, generally I find it fairly normal for high performance manual cars that dont cost a fortune. I assume it has something to do with the shape of the teeth, straighter cut are generally noisier from memory.
Sponsored

Last edited: