Sponsored

MT82 not coming out help!

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
Having trouble getting my my82 out of my car. I took all the hoses and wire harnesses off. Shifter is free from the inside of the car. Pulled 8 bolts off bell housing including those two MFers at the very top that requires me to link together 7 extensions. Trans is about an inch away from the engine but cannot get it to come out any further. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Make sure u have the shifter bolts that bolt to the body taken out.Double check u have the wire harness not just unpkugged but the plastic clips off the trans.If all thats free up try giving just a light pry,maybe input shaft spines are stuck in clutch.

OP
OP
15gtRob

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
I found the culprit. the drivers side top bell housing bolt that I thought was out had about three turns into the block still once that was out getting the trans out was almost a breeze. Already got my MGW Race Spec XSpec installed!

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Cool deal,yea them top 2 lol.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I found the culprit. the drivers side top bell housing bolt that I thought was out had about three turns into the block still once that was out getting the trans out was almost a breeze. Already got my MGW Race Spec XSpec installed!
Curious if you could measure the height of the transmission? Been wondering how tall jack stands would have to go to get it out if that day ever comes.

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Curious if you could measure the height of the transmission? Been wondering how tall jack stands would have to go to get it out if that day ever comes.
If using even a floor jack as a makeshift tranny jack, which you have to do...need a jack, which adds height to the overall assembly, you'd probably need somewhere around 24-28 inches to lower the tranny and roll it out from under the car, clearing the bits under the car and the body. That's my guesstimation based on my time spent under the car, staring at the transmission while thinking about an MGW install. :D

That said, I just went to the garage and looked at the 6-ton jack stands I bought from Northern Tool. They have a max height of 23.75 inches. IMO, they are some tall jack stands. I think I've had the car close to that high on them while doing my front swaybar, and truthfully, wasn't comfortable with it. Just didn't "look right."

Jack stands can be wobbly even under ideal circumstances. Dropping a 400-ish pound piece of the car, prying it around, hammering on it etc, is going to shake the car a lot. I wouldn't want to be under the car if it was on jackstands under those circumstances. If a lift wasn't available, I'd have it on ramps or sitting on some serious platforms. Something like 24" square platforms made of 2x4's or 4x4's screwed together and stacked to make the appropriate height. I've seen too many folks work on cars as shown in the attached picture....don't be that guy!
db2360-unsafe-jack.jpg

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If using even a floor jack as a makeshift tranny jack, which you have to do...need a jack, which adds height to the overall assembly, you'd probably need somewhere around 24-28 inches to lower the tranny and roll it out from under the car, clearing the bits under the car and the body. That's my guesstimation based on my time spent under the car, staring at the transmission while thinking about an MGW install. :D

That said, I just went to the garage and looked at the 6-ton jack stands I bought from Northern Tool. They have a max height of 23.75 inches. IMO, they are some tall jack stands. I think I've had the car close to that high on them while doing my front swaybar, and truthfully, wasn't comfortable with it. Just didn't "look right."

Jack stands can be wobbly even under ideal circumstances. Dropping a 400-ish pound piece of the car, prying it around, hammering on it etc, is going to shake the car a lot. I wouldn't want to be under the car if it was on jackstands under those circumstances. If a lift wasn't available, I'd have it on ramps or sitting on some serious platforms. Something like 24" square platforms made of 2x4's or 4x4's screwed together and stacked to make the appropriate height. I've seen too many folks work on cars as shown in the attached picture....don't be that guy!
Funny my coworker has had that pic of that truck hanging on his wall for more than a decade, definitely don't want to be that guy. Yeah, I was thinking it was going to be at the limits of my jackstands. Just wanted to know how tall it is. I have a low profile rolling transmission jack and was curious what the overall height of the transmission was at the top of the bell housing so I could add to what my jack height to see where it might end up. Point taken on the jackstand beeing fully extended, I don't like doing that either. I've been looking at those big plastic wheel blocks, but I think the highest they make those are 10".

Thanks.

OP
OP
15gtRob

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
I missed this post before cramming it back in there. I used my low profile jack to get it out it was too tall to come out from the side. I had to roll it all the way out of the back of the car. I think I actually laid it on a moving blanket and slid it across the concrete.

OP
OP
15gtRob

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
I got everything back together and the car kept throwing misfire codes. Tana crank relearn from my ngauge and it's running normal now.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I missed this post before cramming it back in there. I used my low profile jack to get it out it was too tall to come out from the side. I had to roll it all the way out of the back of the car. I think I actually laid it on a moving blanket and slid it across the concrete.
No problem. Good to see you got it on the road and all is well. Yeah, I've been envisioning having to slide it out on a blanket/cardboard. I think I got this thread confused with another that the guy was talking about a 4 foot lift. Did you have yours on a lift or jackstands?

Sponsored

mtabers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Hey anyone know of some good jack stands for this job? I have some Big Red 3 Ton jack stands that only make enough room for 18 -19 inches from bottom of trans to the floor.
Sponsored