Fun With Photoshop - 2018

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
I could easily move on to a 2018 Mustang if that was the bumper stock. Very nice work
Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Send it to Ford, if they hurry they can still work it into the 2019 facelift.

OP
OP
Rampant

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
Even some slight tweaks to the current design would be a huge improvement in my eyes.

This is using the stock grille, turns, lower splitter -- just tweaking the outer openings.

2018_Mustang_new_Front_2a.jpg

Not unique or aggressive enough for the aftermarket (might tweak that later), but an opportunity missed for Ford in my eyes.

Last edited:

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Even some slight tweaks to the current design would be a huge improvement in my eyes.

This is using the stock grille, turns, lower splitter -- just tweaking the outer openings.

2018_Mustang_new_Front_2a.png

Not unique or aggressive enough for the aftermarket (might tweak that later), but an opportunity missed for Ford in my eyes.
Agreed. You should be a designer.

One of the things that I liked about your original rendering was the much more aggressive grill graphic shape and proportion. It gives
a nod to the Ford GT with the lower grill surface treatment which is always good to draw a lineage to your icon product (in marketing).
That made the whole front less droopy and low set. However you can easily draw a comparison of the graphic shapes and proportions
to the 6G camaro which I can see where some would find an issue with. "I can't explain it but it feels like a camaro..."

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Ford should hire you as a designer and make you retool the front bumper for 2019.

Not unique or aggressive enough for the aftermarket
That's actually a good thing. A full redesign will probably bring all kinds of trouble with airflow and the workings of the front sensors for autonomous braking and adaptive cruise. Your minor redesign with continued use of the current 2018 inserts will not only avoid those issues but also vastly limit development costs.

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Ford should hire you as a designer and make you retool the front bumper for 2019.
lol, thanks for your vote of confidence! :thumbsup::cheers:

OP
OP
Rampant

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)

One of the things that I likes about your original rendering was the much more aggressive grill graphic shape and proportion. It gives
a nod to the Ford GT with the lower grill surface treatment which is always good to draw a lineage to your icon product (in marketing).
That made the whole front less droopy and low set. However you can easily draw a comparison of the graphic shapes and proportions
to the 6G camaro which I can see where some would find an issue with. "I can't explain it but it feels like a camaro..."
The intent was to give a nod to the GT, but in way that fit the Mustang better, and not quite as obvious a rip-off as the GTT (which, apart from the hideous silver paint accents, I love). I also wanted to highlight the headlight's lower edge, which brought about the thinner upper grille.

You can't help everyone thinking a car looks like something else. When the 2015s came out everyone was complaining it was a straight Fusion rip-off and looked nothing like a Mustang.

I was expecting the Charger comparos, but the Camaro ones were a bit surprising as there are no similar lines at all to the Camaro, other than, possibly, the thinner upper grille.

Anyway, there will never be a general design consensus -- just not possible. I just design what I like and put it out there. Sometimes it actually affects future products in the market, and that is very satisfying for me (just not monetarily rewarding :D).

BTW, I am a designer (web/advertising), just not a car designer by profession.

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Good grief man, that's superb :hail::love::headbang:

Would make a great Mach 1 :ford:

OP
OP
Rampant

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)

That's actually a good thing. A full redesign will probably bring all kinds of trouble with airflow and the workings of the front sensors for autonomous braking and adaptive cruise. Your minor redesign with continued use of the current 2018 inserts will not only avoid those issues but also vastly limit development costs.
As long as sensors are in the same place, it won't be an issue and that is usually pretty easy to do. Grille size is usually about volume of airflow for the aftermarket. Most don't go into proper fluid dynamics like the OEMs do. But, if you are going to make an aftermarket bumper you want people to instantly recognize it as your bumper. That is why it has to be something unique and obviously different.

Or, a straight knock-off of a higher level model (like GT350 knock-offs), but those aren't fun to design. :D

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
The intent was to give a nod to the GT, but in way that fit the Mustang better, and not quite as obvious a rip-off as the GTT (which, apart from the hideous silver paint accents, I love).

You can't help everyone thinking a car looks like something else. When the 2015s came out everyone was complaining it was a straight Fusion rip-off and looked nothing like a Mustang.

I was expecting the Charger comparos, but the Camaro ones were a bit surprising as there are no similar lines at all to the Camaro, other than, possibly, the thinner upper grille.

Anyway, there will never be a general design consensus -- just not possible. I just design what I like and put it out there. Sometimes it actually affects future products in the market, and that is very satisfying for me (just not monetarily rewarding :-D).

BTW, I am a designer (web/advertising), just not a car designer.
Very cool man :thumbsup: often what you design is just a product of circumstance, whats the real skill here is understanding proportion
scale, spatial relationships, details etc.

And your right about the fusion. A lot of the current gen ford products borrows heavily from Aston Martin design ques as they were under Ford
ownership for a few years. Hell, look at the DLO of a S550, straight AM (yeah yeah yeah, the grill too). Design direction is often made many years
previous to product introduction and in this case was penned by the famous Moray Callum when Ford owned AM. This worked perfectly for Ford as
they were trying to go up-market in terms of design and as a brand.

OP
OP
Rampant

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
...just...can't.....stop.....

(actually, this is theropy for me, and I need some these days).

Anyway... this is much more "aftermarket-ish". More on the crisp lines/sharper corners style, but again using stock grille and turn signal thing.

Not my cleanest execution, but I didn't want to spend too much time on this one as I am not even sure I like it all that much. But it is something different.

2018_Mustang_new_Front_3a.jpg

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
They all look great, but you nailed it on Version 2.0

I'd buy this in a heartbeat (love the Orange Fury, but I'd like to see it in Grabber Blue.....or :cough: '03 Mach 1 Azure Blue.....with black mirrors and a black rear wing) :cool: