Sponsored

Strongest driveshaft?

smoke em

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt premium pp
I was at the track on Saturday evening and my aluminum 3.5" DSS driveshaft let go and blew into about 80 pieces or so. (Thank you BMR for a safety loop that helped contain the mess.) So my question is what is the strongest drive shaft on the market? This one only made it for 20 passes and approximately 7000 street miles.
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
I was at the track on Saturday evening and my aluminum 3.5" DSS driveshaft let go and blew into about 80 pieces or so. (Thank you BMR for a safety loop that helped contain the mess.) So my question is what is the strongest drive shaft on the market? This one only made it for 20 passes and approximately 7000 street miles.
If you want to stay Aluminum I would suggest Dynotech. They make an amazing product but lack in the customer service dept. I had one and blew up everything around it but the driveshaft always held fine. Switched to the CF DSS shaft when I did my Tremec conversion.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
What blew up, the aluminum tube or a joint (or joints)?

A rapid shock will basically "explode" aluminum (into shards) but a CF driveshaft has a little give in it, so it more than likely would be a better option for you, I'd think. $$$$$

OP
OP
smoke em

smoke em

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The aluminum tube came apart. I reached out to DSS and they are looking into replacing it under warranty for me. Hopefully they will let me pay the difference to upgrade to CF driveshaft.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Unfortunately nothing is invincible. Stuff breaks and s&*t happens. With that said we've alway had great success with DSS shafts and have used them on all of our project cars. Frank and the rest of the crew are top notch so give them a shout and at minimum give them an opportunity to take a look into the issue.

Let us know if there's anything we can help you with.

Thanks, Jared

Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Unfortunately nothing is invincible. Stuff breaks and s&*t happens. With that said we've alway had great success with DSS shafts and have used them on all of our project cars. Frank and the rest of the crew are top notch so give them a shout and at minimum give them an opportunity to take a look into the issue.

Let us know if there's anything we can help you with.

Thanks, Jared
Do you guys run 3.5" or 4"? Can you say if there is any performance improvement from installing one?

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
What I am told is that the more rigid the setup, aluminum DS, unsprung clutch etc, puts more stress on the already fragile mt82. Furthermore, increased vibration. It has been suggested to stick with CF DS and RST set up for 6MT

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Do you guys run 3.5" or 4"? Can you say if there is any performance improvement from installing one?
I believe we were running the 3.5" one on our Whipple powered 2015 GT when it was going 9.70@150. Never had any issues with it. The 4" version wasn't released until later and is now the only one we offer.

There really wouldn't be any performance gains between the two. Only strength which is why they decided to go with the 4" version eventually.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
Do you have diff bushings? In most cases the bushings deflect so much the driveshaft has to turn into a banana. I broke a Aluminum and Carbon DS because of this.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Do you have diff bushings? In most cases the bushings deflect so much the driveshaft has to turn into a banana. I broke a Aluminum and Carbon DS because of this.
Are you back on stock bushings after that? I'm looking at driveshafts and also have the bushing insert kit so that's a little concerning to hear.

Sponsored
OP
OP
smoke em

smoke em

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I'm running the Steeda black diff inserts. I spoke with DSS and they are going to replace the driveshaft. (gotta love a company that stands behind their products!) Apparently I had one of the 3.5" first versions they produced. They have since replaced it with the 4" tube. I am going to pay the difference and try the carbon shaft this time around.

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Yes, I'm running the Steeda black diff inserts. I spoke with DSS and they are going to replace the driveshaft. (gotta love a company that stands behind their products!) Apparently I had one of the 3.5" first versions they produced. They have since replaced it with the 4" tube. I am going to pay the difference and try the carbon shaft this time around.
Glad to hear that because I just ordered the DSS 4" aluminum last night. Hopefully the 4" holds up better.

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Great! Let me know how you like the CS in comparison to the Aluminum when you get to take it for a spin!

OP
OP
smoke em

smoke em

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear that because I just ordered the DSS 4" aluminum last night. Hopefully the 4" holds up better.
When I spoke to them they were adamant that the 4" shaft would resolve any breakage issues. It seems that most issues people were having were on the 3.5" shafts.